Kelly Oubre...

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If Booker and Ayton can take a pay cut...kind of like Durant did.
Ayton's not taking a pay cut in his first big contract and he shouldn't be expected to. The guys taking pay cuts are usually guys that have already gotten their big payday and are now willing to take one for the team.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
And the cap is going to go up twice by then. I also don't think Sarver is as cheap as people think. He's spent money before. Problem is that he doesn't know how to spend it wisely, but I think that's JJ's domain now.
Generally speaking though, you can't worry too much about what you are going to do in two years. If Oubre earns a bigger contract and he likes playing here, they'll figure it out. I do agree with Dr. Jones that I would have preferred a longer contract at a slight overpay, but it is what it is. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair.....

I still watch obsessively from afar. I used to be obsessive from a close proximity. hahaha

My problem with the deal is the years. He is going to be a huge issue for us when we are trying to extend Oubre (probably close to 25mm per) Ayton (max), Bridges (middle of the road money), Booker (possible super max), and still fill out our roster.

We are going to be tighter than a quarter in Sarvers back pocket in 3 years. I would have been much happier if we would have locked up Oubre for a bit more than he deserved now, knowing we could then budget it in when all these other contracts come up.

And finally.....Rubio's value is mitigated by the time he will take away from Booker being on the ball IMO. Point Book will be used less and it may not be the best possible thing for our 23 year old lion.

We are definitely in agreement about Oubre. I wanted him on a longer contract but perhaps that was not to be had for slightly more than $15 million a season. My guess is that type of contract will look like a bargain a couple of years down the road.

I wish Rubio was on a more reasonable contract but the Suns couldn't chance going one more season without a point guard even if it is a bit of an overpay. Brogdon signed for over $80 million over four years. He might have been the best fit for the Suns.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are definitely in agreement about Oubre. I wanted him on a longer contract but perhaps that was not to be had for slightly more than $15 million a season. My guess is that type of contract will look like a bargain a couple of years down the road.

I wish Rubio was on a more reasonable contract but the Suns couldn't chance going one more season without a point guard even if it is a bit of an overpay. Brogdon signed for over $80 million over four years. He might have been the best fit for the Suns.

wow i still can't believe people think we overpaid for Rubio still, 17 is nothing for what he is and brings to this team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow i still can't believe people think we overpaid for Rubio still, 17 is nothing for what he is and brings to this team.

I'm happy with Ricky Rubio. Nothing wrong with hoping the Suns could have signed him to a lower salary.

That said, this is what it took to sign him so that's market value.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And finally.....Rubio's value is mitigated by the time he will take away from Booker being on the ball IMO. Point Book will be used less and it may not be the best possible thing for our 23 year old lion.
I don’t know how one can argue this in light of this seasons experience.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nagging injuries aside, I think the only way Rubio's deal starts to look like a problem contract is if the China issue never goes away. The total loss of money from China could turn more than a few contracts bad but even then, Rubio's will likely be less of a nightmare than many.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the cap is going to go up twice by then. I also don't think Sarver is as cheap as people think. He's spent money before. Problem is that he doesn't know how to spend it wisely, but I think that's JJ's domain now.
Generally speaking though, you can't worry too much about what you are going to do in two years. If Oubre earns a bigger contract and he likes playing here, they'll figure it out. I do agree with Dr. Jones that I would have preferred a longer contract at a slight overpay, but it is what it is. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Won't the renovations be finished in 2 years also? Sarver will have no excuse not to spend money. He got his arena upgraded and they're building the training facility now. I believe everything will be finished by the time Oubre is a free agent again, which is a year before Ayton enters restricted free agency.

I really don't see an issue with too many deals ending at once because they're not. Oubre's deal expires in 2 years and by then all of the Tyler Johnson sort of bad deals will be gone. Rubio's deal expires in 3, which is when Ayton will be a free agent with Mikal. Booker has 5 years on his, he's the least of our concerns if he's happy.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This pick is evidence that you’re not as cool as Kelly Oubre

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Won't the renovations be finished in 2 years also? Sarver will have no excuse not to spend money. He got his arena upgraded and they're building the training facility now. I believe everything will be finished by the time Oubre is a free agent again, which is a year before Ayton enters restricted free agency.

I really don't see an issue with too many deals ending at once because they're not. Oubre's deal expires in 2 years and by then all of the Tyler Johnson sort of bad deals will be gone. Rubio's deal expires in 3, which is when Ayton will be a free agent with Mikal. Booker has 5 years on his, he's the least of our concerns if he's happy.

this assumes that we never spend any more money until the year Oubre is a FA. That's not realistic. Yes, Tyler Johnson's deal is going to be off the books after this season, but most of the board seems to believe we're going to use his contract to trade him for a star or we'll let him go, giving us big cap room next year which we'll use to boost the team.

the salary structure isn't just going to stay frozen in time for two years. If they like Baynes (which everyone does), they'll have to pay him after this season for a couple years. That takes up cap room when Oubre becomes a FA. What about Carter? You've already mentioned him as a possible PGOTF (which I find dubious). He's got to get paid also. Or all we just letting all our role players go after this year and find ourselves taking a step back so that hopefully we can sign Oubre to a big deal in the future?

Too many moving parts right now to assume all the salaries that are currently on the team will basically stay in place or in TJ's case will just fall off the books and not be used to continue to upgrade the team.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't want to be a stick in the poop, but Baynes is going to be really hard to hold onto. He is the exact kind of player contending teams use their MLE on. We will probably need to be giving off a contender vibe ourselves, or just have been so much fun to play with that he will reject similar money from a monster team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ill miss Oubre and Rubio. Rubio was a true pro last year and Kelly has been entertaining since he showed up. Oubre definitely helped change the culture here with his swagger. Not looking forward to facing him a few times a season with the Warriors. I knew he'd be dealt but I was hoping it would to the East. Since he's in the Suns division and will face them a !ot there is probably a higher probability of him becoming a legit #2 or #3 guy on a team.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made zero attachment to Rubio. I will miss Oubre’s swag and dunking on people. He played with a fire and was one of our only above the rim athletes.

I wish him well... except every time he plays against us.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I made zero attachment to Rubio. I will miss Oubre’s swag and dunking on people. He played with a fire and was one of our only above the rim athletes.

Just the opposite with me. I liked Rubio's team first play and it was so refreshing to have a real pg. Oubre's swag and energy was fine, but he seemed more interested in his own game than the team. It wasn't egregious, just more subtle.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'll miss them both. Rubio was a veteran who did what he was asked on the floor and brought leadership. Oubre was in the growth phase of his career, with a tendency toward overenthusiasm but basking in the feeling of being wanted. Unfortunately that feeling was illusionary, but here's hoping that the Warriors, a better-run organization, will properly appreciate him.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just the opposite with me. I liked Rubio's team first play and it was so refreshing to have a real pg. Oubre's swag and energy was fine, but he seemed more interested in his own game than the team. It wasn't egregious, just more subtle.

Oubre was extremely frustrating to watch for me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree with a lot of this but I will miss Ricky Rubio. He lived up to expectations and more IMO.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I will miss both Rubio and Oubre. Maybe not for strictly basketball reasons for Oubre, but the guy was a key part of our culture shift and nobody can say he wasn't entertaining almost every time he stepped on the floor.

Yup, this sums it up for me. This team owes a lot to Oubre and Tyler Johnson for coming in mid season and slowly turning the ship around culturally. Monty and Rubio helped, sure, but those two could have easily sulked and just mailed it in after being traded here. Instead, they lit into the team in a good way.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll be honest, if Chris Paul is healthy I won’t miss either one of those guys for a second. One-ish years just isn’t enough time to build any kind of attachment in me especially since that group, outside one ludicrous bubble experience that Oubre wasn’t even part of, never did anything even remotely special in the grand scheme of things.