Coffee Talk

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Same - Folgers is the best option I've found in that mass range

There are some consistent options that typically share the shelf though that can frequently be picked up on sale where the cost isn't that much more

I've found that for a supermarket pinch the Starbucks verranda works nice with my setup - not a lot of complexity to it, but a solid coffee tasting coffee without a lot of the normal Starbucks notes that come with their medium & dark roasts

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
All of those older store brands (Folgers, 8'oclock, Tasters) use robusta beans which are terrible compared to arabica beans. As long as it ways 100% arabica, you're good. :thumbup:

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a new roaster at the beginning of the year and have been roasting different types of beans since then. I now roast about every three weeks and do about 4 lbs each time I roast. I built a portable cart for the roaster and drive the roast with my lapptop.

You must be registered for see images attach

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a new roaster at the beginning of the year and have been roasting different types of beans since then. I now roast about every three weeks and do about 4 lbs each time I roast. I built a portable cart for the roaster and drive the roast with my lapptop.

This is what we call next level, folks! :notworthy:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am so impressed. This is professional stuff.

Perhaps the next step is to start your own company?

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so impressed. This is professional stuff.

Perhaps the next step is to start your own company?
It's merely a hobby. When it becomes an obligation, it loses its appeal.

We have a great new coffee/espresso maker at work. Some asked me if I was going to roast beans for it. I explained no just for that reason. Instead, we are getting our beans from Bergie's in downtown Gilbert - about 25-30# a month.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's merely a hobby. When it becomes an obligation, it loses its appeal.

We have a great new coffee/espresso maker at work. Some asked me if I was going to roast beans for it. I explained no just for that reason. Instead, we are getting our beans from Bergie's in downtown Gilbert - about 25-30# a month.
Our new CFO just moved from Portland, and wants an espresso machine in the office - what did you get?

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nespresso coffe machine with the old pods, I buy the pods on amazon I don't use the nespresso ones anymore.
We almost exclusively drink espresso no sugar no milk.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score

So these are my most recent tastes.

The Zingermans I grabbed in the Detroit airport. Was really good. Able to use a fairly fine grind and it was very much a subtle sipper.

The other I bought up in the pinetop/lakeside area. Drove by on the way to a hike and saw their roaster going, closed on the way back

On the way out of town I stopped in and take about the different blends and roasts. Good guy. Veteran owned and enthusiastic. Have a shipping program and everything.

Settled on this blend. Very good in a very different way. Took a couple times to dial in the grind to my tastes, but this one is positively coffee.

Some interesting notes in there, really strong on the finish

May be in my head, but definitely feel more cafienated on this than others.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI - Bergies in downtown Gilbert has a fantastic espresso whole bean blend. We go through about 35# of it per month at work.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
FYI - Bergies in downtown Gilbert has a fantastic espresso whole bean blend. We go through about 35# of it per month at work.
Nice. I'll have to look into it up next time I'm in the area, which admittedly isn't often - but occasionally something pulls us that direction

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
How did I miss this thread?

For home, it's Peets Major Dickenson's blend. Just drip. Nothing fancy.

Office - Keurig. *shudder*

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Enjoying a Caffe Freddo... 5.5 oz espresso, a little homemade demerara simple syrup, frothed almond milk over ice.

It's my favorite coffee drink. Discovered these last year in Greece. Yum yum.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Enjoying a Caffe Freddo... 5.5 oz espresso, a little homemade demerara simple syrup, frothed almond milk over ice.

It's my favorite coffee drink. Discovered these last year in Greece. Yum yum.

How can a mere mortal compete with this?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I bought a carafe coffee maker and I LOVE it. No more worry about leaving the coffee pot on. It keeps coffee pretty hot. I have been using it for green tea lately and it does a better job at hot tea! Just a Black and Decker from Walmart.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Figured I’d ask the collective here. I’m not a coffee drinker, but my wife is. She wants to make the jump over to a single cup pod machine, given she’s the only one in the house who drinks coffee. Any recommendations? I’ve looked at the Nesspresso machines for her, but it looks like you can only use their proprietary pods. She enjoys SF Bay coffee and I know Costco carries their pods. Any suggestions? My office complains about Keurig all the time so I wasn’t sure about going with that brand.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson