Andy Isabella

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I was hoping Isabella could be a Pat Tilley type WR. But that would mean he had the skills to play, and succeed, in the NFL. Instead, he's Kevin Kasper. Fast, white WR's that can't make it in the NFL.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Lol. The overreactions and nonsense on this board after losses really make me wonder how some of you function in your day to day lives.
That’s exactly what I think. You don’t win every game, every penalty isn’t against you and every week you go from super bowl to toilet bowl. Some fans quit on the team mid game...fanatics are irrational I suppose.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I kinda thought the Cardinals would have brought in Jalen Guyton (Kyler's former HS teammate) in FA back in 2019.

He's become a solid player for the Chargers.

I think Keim saw Andy being Kyler's new Hollywood Brown. However, those guys have different body types.

I'm still holding out hope for Andy. Its just we just expected more from a 2nd round pick.

I think there are too many flaws there. His catch radius, his ball tracking, his catching technique and his hands are all way off where they need to be. A long way to go for him to go, maybe too far.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I kinda thought the Cardinals would have brought in Jalen Guyton (Kyler's former HS teammate) in FA back in 2019.

He's become a solid player for the Chargers.

I think Keim saw Andy being Kyler's new Hollywood Brown. However, those guys have different body types.

I'm still holding out hope for Andy. Its just we just expected more from a 2nd round pick.

Sorry to say, but Kiem really is the worst scouting/draft GM in the league if he was confusing Isabella for Brown.

I can see it though and it makes sense due to the pick.

But you cant hit on the occasional 1st around pick outside of a sure fire pick and miss on everything else and have sustained success in this league

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry to say, but Kiem really is the worst scouting/draft GM in the league if he was confusing Isabella for Brown.

But you cant hit on the occasional 1st around pick outside of a sure fire pick and miss on everything else and have sustained success in this league

I'm not sure how much of this one was on Keim. If you remember back to the draft footage in Flight Plan this pick seemed to be all Kliff.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As we are on the subject I think we should dispel the idea I've seen mentioned from time to time that if we drafted DK / McLaurin / Johnson then we wouldn't have Nuk.

I don't think that's remotely true. I think if we drafted any of those guys over Isabella and Keim heard that Nuk was on the table he still trades for him without a doubt. Imagine DK (or whoever) on one side and Nuk on the other with Kirk in the slot.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think there are too many flaws there. His catch radius, his ball tracking, his catching technique and his hands are all way off where they need to be. A long way to go for him to go, maybe too far.
I think it can work....if Kyler becomes a very good to elite passer.

Obviously it would be nice if you can draft WRs to help Kyler become better, but if Kyler ever becomes pinpoint accurate than Andy should be solid.

Whether that happens or not? I'm not sure. Andy is still one of the fastest in the league. For him though he needs the football thrown to his chest nearly every time.

I'm not totally discounting by year 4 Kyler's accuracy goes up. Again..just saying there is a chance.

Its funny though. If they never traded Rosen (at least at that time) they still might have drafted Allen over Isabella. Maybe Isabella slips to top of the 4th round and we take him instead of Butler.

In essence the only argument people would make is taking Allen over Terry McLaurin. Isabella as a 4th rounder gets more of a pass with the fanbase imo.
I'm not sure how much of this one was on Keim. If you remember back to the draft footage in Flight Plan this pick seemed to be all Kliff.
Yea but Keim was the one saying Isabella had an A grade at the senior ball and that wasnt the case for most of the league.

Kliff might have had Wes Welker, Amendola flashbacks with Andy (although different skillsets).

I think the fact they never mention DK (Unless it was edited out) they must have had a 3rd round grade on him or he was off their board due to medicals. Then again some thought they'd take AJ Brown a the top of the 2nd rd. So I think Ole Miss players are toxic to Keim after drafting Nkemdiche. lol

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ, et. al

I’ll acknowledge the last couple of posts here since people have taken the time to compose an answer.

(1) AI is on the team. All the looking back in dismay/anger/disappointment is not going to change that draft pick and who went after him. Going forward—I say the jury is still out. He has had so few targets and chances. Is it because he can’t catch or because K2 doesn’t know now use him in a way that KM can make a connection? We need K2 to come up with plays that take advantage of his speed. That is the primary reason he got drafted. We need to get KM in sync with AI’s speed—need to lead him and hit in stride to take advantage of the speed. If not, he’s a small guy with short arms who is at a standstill waiting to get hammered by Dbs. Need to get him on the field more—he is no different than other players who needs the game time reps—Simmons is a case in point. As a WR, AI is on the end of the throw, and all the mistakes prior to that ball delivery get put on the WR—which may or may not be fair.

(2) Back up statements with your source. If not, they become ‘common knowledge.’ Or you can label them as rumors.

“People thought was going to be Edelman with elite speed because he runs good routes, but he just doesn't have the hands.” From post #61

I didn’t recall that. Not sure who you mean by 'People." The only thing they have in common is that they are short, fast, white guys playing WR. In fact, a NE sportswriter made the observation that he WASN’T another Edelman (turn off your Ad blocker or the content will be blurred):

https://www.news-herald.com/sports/...cle_98889b14-23d0-11e9-98cf-5f5d6985cf2e.html

When I asked for your source, you replied:
“I saw several comparisons to Edelman, that was last year no recollection where I saw them.”

Not fair. Actually, nothing disappears from the Internet. If ‘People’ were making that observation, it would still be out there if you hit on a couple keywords in a search. I’m talking NFL analysts and sportswriters. If it were fan forum comments or conversations around the pizza and beer—those may not qualify as verifiable sources (or creditable). Hard to debate when the source of a definitive statement cannot be produced.

You (or someone else) can have the last word. (Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

DHOPS stats for comparison

You must be registered for see images attach

https://www.news-herald.com/sports/...cle_98889b14-23d0-11e9-98cf-5f5d6985cf2e.html

Literally the first link that popped up when I googled Andy isabella Julian Edelman, and the same paper you quoted above just a different writer.

"During the Senior Bowl, as Isabella continued to produce, a popular search on Twitter was “Andy Isabella Patriots.” Many were saying on social media he’s the NFL’s next Julian Edelman, who’s one of the Patriots’ top receiver, and predicted he would be drafted by the team. It does makes sense in this respect — Coach Bill Belichick hasn’t shied from utilizing under-sized receivers and make them stars."

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally different guys but you compare andy and Chase Claypool who is taking the NFL by storm in Pitt. Veteran QB other good Wr's but Claypool has tied an NFL record for most combined TD's, catch and run, in the first 10 games of his NFL career with 10. The 10 was a half dive catch, with his HANDS that's a play Andy probably wouldn't have made. Wasn't a great catch but a good one that he caught by stretching out, and THEN pulled it in to his body as he went to the ground.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

How do people even post stuff so dumb lol.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Question. Of all our starting WRs, who do you trust less wide open in the end zone and get the same hibiby jibies as when Zane Gonzales is going for the game winner... exactly :)

Exactly. ******** play call to have a crucial play like that with Isabella as the primary target.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I am not a fan. That being said, I like his work ethic and had not problem with the idea of the pick at the time.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Lol. The overreactions and nonsense on this board after losses really make me wonder how some of you function in your day to day lives.
I have no issues with Kyler, thinking the guy is doing freaking amazing with limited snaps in college and only in his second year as a pro and already he's a top ten QB. I have no problem with Kliff, having clock management issues since Tech, but he's sharp and totally agree with Keim giving him the head coaching job because he certainly would have been given a head coach title after this year for other teams to have his offensive mind. I am happy now Simmons can finally get a chance to be that dynamic player on defense and is already showing he can bawl while learning, which took them long enough with Reddick which thankfully is now in his natural position and showing

I do have a problem with drafting Murphy in the second round when he's a slot guy. I did not like the Isabella pick for the position he was taken and I am seeing aspects of his game he probably won't be able to fix... route running is better but he has no instincts catching a ball, much like Brandon Williams was great hanging with a guy but had no clue when to turn when the ball was in flight resulting in a completion while he had position

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have no issues with Kyler, thinking the guy is doing freaking amazing with limited snaps in college and only in his second year as a pro and already he's a top ten QB. I have no problem with Kliff, having clock management issues since Tech, but he's sharp and totally agree with Keim giving him the head coaching job because he certainly would have been given a head coach title after this year for other teams to have his offensive mind. I am happy now Simmons can finally get a chance to be that dynamic player on defense and is already showing he can bawl while learning, which took them long enough with Reddick which thankfully is now in his natural position and showing

I do have a problem with drafter Murphy in the second round when he's a slot guy. I did not like the Isabella pick for the position he was taken and I am seeing aspects of his game he probably won't be able to fix... route running is better but he has no instincts catching a ball, much like Brandon Williams was great hanging with a guy but had no clue when to turn when the ball was in flight resulting in a completion while he had position

Murphy is much better then Brandon Williams, doesn't have the athletic skills but far better then him overall
But I do agree with you
Drafting a nickle corner, undersized, below average athletically with a early second round pick is questionable

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Murphy is much better then Brandon Williams, doesn't have the athletic skills but far better then him overall
But I do agree with you
Drafting a nickle corner, undersized, below average athletically with a early second round pick is questionable
Nickel corners are always undersized, & I wouldn’t say 5’11 is undersized

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
But I do agree with you

Make no doubt, Murphy has value and for the most part was one of the few legit prospects which was a poor CB draft but if I am drafting him in the second when I want a taller guy that can play the outside at least if in need, a pinch before a concern... this franchise has no contingency plan with Peterson who's still good by no longer elite, guess we will have to put a franchise tag on him

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Weight, I mean
Being 5'11 180lb is too light, at least carrying that weight he should be quicker, faster
Maybe if he was an RB lol

He prob has one of the bigger frames for a nickel CB

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And he is slow
Speed is essential in today football
Peterson decline is all about speed and reaction
Byron has twitch, which is also a necessity as a DB, especially if you’re not athletically gifted

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Byron has twitch, which is also a necessity as a DB, especially if you’re not athletically gifted

The question was
Do u think is right drafting a nickle corner with an early second round pick?
Then I add obviously no since the kid is not gifted athletically so he can have just a limited role

Personally I think Murphy is one of the best players of a bad defense, so I don't criticize him but the fact of him being drafted so early

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson