Free Agency 2020

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some guy on another board said Evan Fournier was interested in coming to the Suns.

Has anyone else heard that - I actually think he might work well for us as he can shot create off the bench a bit.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Some guy on another board said Evan Fournier was interested in coming to the Suns.

Has anyone else heard that - I actually think he might work well for us as he can shot create off the bench a bit.

If he's willing to take the BAE, I'm all for it, as he can back up at both the 2 and the 3.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If he's willing to take the BAE, I'm all for it, as he can back up at both the 2 and the 3.

Never mind. Apparently he exercised his $17 million team option. Not gonna happen.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Unless the Magic are willing to take a re-signed Aron Baynes ridiculously overpaid at $17 million, we don't have the salaries to make it work. Here, Kaminsky's contract would have come in handy.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He already opted-in to $17mm salary this year. I don’t see how we can acquire him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bobby Portis is now a free agent after being released by Knicks. He might be a power forward option in free agency.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's at least nice to hear another player that wants to come to the suns. But yeah, no way we can get him with a 17 million salary.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My fearless prediction as our main signing, based on need and fit (as well as resources available):

Justin Holiday

Smart player, excellent shooter and defender, makes quick decisions, and can play the 2 and 3. Like a Mikal Bridges without star upside.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My fearless prediction as our main signing, based on need and fit (as well as resources available):

Justin Holiday

Smart player, excellent shooter and defender, makes quick decisions, and can play the 2 and 3. Like a Mikal Bridges without star upside.

If you are saying using the MLE on him, that IMO is a bad idea.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If you are saying using the MLE on him, that IMO is a bad idea.

Obviously, if we can luck into a bargain at the MLE (like Ibaka or one of the bigger free agents who don't get their desired contract), that is ideal.

But of the guys I see as likely and realistic targets with at least some of the MLE...I think Holiday is the best fit.

Definitely open to better suggestions!

Edited to Add: I wanted Bertans, Wood, or Grant...but I don't think they're likely attainable now, and we should use the exceptions on the best option available (if even for a short term contract).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honestly guys. I am going to say this once, get it out of my system, and then not say it again. I am bracing myself for the most disappointing Suns year ever. It starts with CP3. I am expecting his age and injury propensity that comes with it to show. Once he is out, the team falls apart. By the end of the year Book is asking for a trade and we are moving to full rebuilding mode after all our eggs go into the CP3 basket.

OK. Now its out. Everyone move along and I will be fine.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what the Suns roster and salary situation looks like at the moment. This totals $105,396,273.

The salary cap is $109.1 million.

From Duane Rankin at the Arizona Republic:

• Chris Paul ($41.3M)
  • Devin Booker ($29.4M)
  • Deandre Ayton ($10M)
  • Mikal Bridges ($4.3M)
  • Cam Johnson ($4.2M)
  • Dario Saric ($5M qualifying offer)
  • Jevon Carter ($1.9M qualifying offer)
  • Jalen Smith *($3.5M)
  • Cameron Payne ($1.9M)
  • Abdel Nader ($1.7M)
  • Elie Okobo ($1.6M)
  • *realgm.com projections.
https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/free-agency-2020.340933/page-45

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So without Diallo, Baynes and Kaminisky the Suns need size and hopefully some help at guard.

Wish there was a way for the Suns to add Jerami Grant.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This is what the Suns roster and salary situation looks like at the moment. This totals $105,396,273.

The salary cap is $109.1 million.

From Duane Rankin at the Arizona Republic:

• Chris Paul ($41.3M)
  • Devin Booker ($29.4M)
  • Deandre Ayton ($10M)
  • Mikal Bridges ($4.3M)
  • Cam Johnson ($4.2M)
  • Dario Saric ($5M qualifying offer)
  • Jevon Carter ($1.9M qualifying offer)
  • Jalen Smith *($3.5M)
  • Cameron Payne ($1.9M)
  • Abdel Nader ($1.7M)
  • Elie Okobo ($1.6M)
  • *realgm.com projections.
https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/free-agency-2020.340933/page-45
So they do have to add 2 more players for the NBA minimum.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
NBA minimum for all teams is 13 players on the roster. I don't remember why but we had to look it up the season before last.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Justin Holiday

He would be an excellent acquisition to back up at the 2 and 3. We still need a starting power forward, though, and I think it would take the MLE to get Holiday, which means no starting power forward.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly guys. I am going to say this once, get it out of my system, and then not say it again. I am bracing myself for the most disappointing Suns year ever. It starts with CP3. I am expecting his age and injury propensity that comes with it to show. Once he is out, the team falls apart. By the end of the year Book is asking for a trade and we are moving to full rebuilding mode after all our eggs go into the CP3 basket.

It's certainly possible but I'm not bracing for it. I just recognize the possibility and choose to focus on the other end of the spectrum, the possibility that Paul stays healthy and helps the younger players come to realize what it takes to succeed in this league. I wouldn't bet money either way because let's face it, there's a lot of real estate in between the two extremes. The odds are against us loving this deal in the future but I think the odds are also against us despising this deal down the road.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose