So what happened?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've only watched the highlights, and I thought the game was there for the win. Russ threw for less than 200 yards. The defense did a reasonable job against a high scoring team. Keeping the Seahawks to 28 is like keeping most teams under 20.

So what happened on offense? Seemed to me our O line was bad tonight against a very average D line. Gave up 3 sacks. Kyler couldn't run. Drake had 2.6 per carry. Lot's of penalties. Murray seemed under pressure a lot.

Was that the cause?

Looking at the stats I don't get why Kliff ran Drake 13 time for 2.6 per, when Edmonds only had one carry that went for 13?

This is a team the Bills put 40+ on recently missing both starting CB's. I expected more from the offense.

A concern for me is Bill Belichick has now seen a game plan that contained Kyler's legs and made him throw. Which is exactly what he wants.

On the plus side Simmons looked good. If we had Vance had any sense he would play 4-3 vs the Pats with Simmons, Hicks and Campbell on the field at the same time. No need to play Nickel vs their passing attack. With our D line banged up and the Pats tendency to run we need the 3 backers.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
All I can say was it felt like a loss the entire game. There’s wasn’t a single point I thought they were going to win. Kyler wasn’t being kyler. We have the most talented roster of players, we also have the dumbest roster and coaching staff. It’s infuriating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All I can say was it felt like a loss the entire game. There’s wasn’t a single point I thought they were going to win. Kyler wasn’t being kyler. We have the most talented roster of players, we also have the dumbest roster and coaching staff. It’s infuriating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats kind of been my feeling all year.

If we were truly a "contender" then we would be winning games from the front. Our biggest wins vs Seattle and Bills were wins where we were behind all/most of the game and had to come back and win in OT or last gasp. The Niners win in game one we were behind much of the game and came back to win.

Our only wins in games where we led from the front were the Skins, Cowboys and Jets. Three garbage teams who are bottom 5 in power rankings. Then we have two loses to the Lions and Panthers who are bottom 10 in power rankings.

You put it all together and it doesn't shout "Top 10 team".

What's frustrating is the tools are there to be a contender. We just can't get out of our own way with dumb penalties, odd play calls, silly game management and generally questionable decisions.

We can't seem to put out a good offense and defense at the same time consistently. Too often one side is playing well and the other poor, or vice versa, and there are times when both are poor. Very few times when both are good, and when they have been like 2nd half vs Bills and 2nd half vs Seahawks they often result in big comeback wins. We just can't do it consistently.

Oh well, Pats should be a fun game. Their offense has been trash. They have been gashed vs the run. Even their DB's haven't been what they were, but I expect us to get soundly outcoached so will be interesting to see who comes out on top.

Last edited:

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Has an away team on a Thursday night ever lost by less than 14?

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has an away team on a Thursday night ever lost by less than 14?

The away team won the last 3 TNF's, so yeah.

Game 1 is the only time the visiting team lost by 14. Biggest win after that is by 5 and away team have won more than the home team.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It shouldn’t be this way, but with each passing game my confidence in Kliff erodes... I am growing more and more convinced Keim swung & missed with Kliffy.. in fact, if not for Murray who, I also have concerns with BUT his out of the stratosphere physical freakness covers which enables him to cover for Kliff, this team would likely have 3, 4, maybe even 5 less wins...

Kliff is far more of a burden than a benefit to this team. We win despite him. If a great, innovative coach is gauged by his ability to call and run horizontal plays, Kliff is surely great then. Otherwise, I see zero evidence to suggest he is some sort of offensive genius. Nothing suggests to me that his mind can produce sustained winning in the NFL.
His play-calling is embarrassingly amateurish.
His game/clock management is consistently out of sync.
His decision-making is almost always more wrong than right. What other NFL coach would’ve challenged that Hyde fumble??? Seriously?
His offense almost always seems rushed and Kyler is consistently scrambling to get the ball snapped with zero time left on the play clock.

As for Murray... I’ve consistently said my piece here. I remain deeply concerned about his terrible throwing mechanics (his poor accuracy was mentioned several times last night by Aikman). He has yet to demonstrate any development with regard to pre-snap reads (again, Aikman brought this up on several occasions during the game). His in-pocket decision making and execution remain deeply concerning.
And I believe speculation about his leadership skills is entirely warranted.
Kyler is without question the most physically gifted QB in the league... so there’s that I guess...

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good DC's have a way of taking the 'new' off any offense and bringing boy wonders back to earth. Teams are slowly putting together a defensive scheme vs both KM and KK.

Seattle DC Ken Norton put his mark on how to stop KM: Defend the line of scrimmage, keep KM in the pocket (or at least behind the line) and make him throw.

All the throwing motion flaws, the tells, the ticks (patting the ball before throwing), staring down a receiver, inability to throw with accuracy while on the run, height disadvantage when throwing over DL/blocked pass, inability to throw a receiver open, split-second late on getting the ball to the receiver (Fitz collision at goal, missed TD with Isabella), making the receiver stop/change direction/twist for the catch, plays that have almost zero YAC but are designed to have the receiver find a spot in the zone and STOP (there goes the speed advantage for Isabella and Kirk), etc. A lot of plays are not in the playbook because of the height issue---the short passes in the middle are seldom called. Seldom see slants. Fitz is being used as the '5-yard pass is as good as a 5-yard run' guy. We're not taking advantage of his catch radius, hands, etc when the only targets have him STOPPING and waiting for the ball.

It's up to K2 to both coach-up KM and to design plays to get the ball to receivers in stride---we need some YAC instead of dink-and-dunk.

LittleDavis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Actually, I thought we played flat. Murray couldn't shake the shoulder issue for most of the game. Kirkpatrick is a total liability. We need DL help fast. We had every opportunity to win and we didn't produce.

We are a team that is undisciplined and cocky. We are talented but immature. That falls on the coaching and Murray.

I thought 8-8 would be a good year so I am not to upset. I still think we make the playoffs and finish 10-6. I wish we didn't have to get beat up to focus.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Are you guys insane?? We just won an amazing game Sunday where it has been shown and talked about tor 4 days straight. We play on a Thursday night!! On the road in a fairly cold atmosphere. Playing a top notch opponent in their biggest game of the season. We had many mental errors yes. And we gifted them 12 points. 3 right before the half. The 7 points on Dre because it would have been 4th. And the. The safety. Kyler was hurt or atleast something wasn’t right with his shoulder. And yet eh threw for 269 yards and if that last pass was to Hopkins instead of Isabella we tie the game. We have went toe to toe with a 7-3 Buffalo team and a 7-3 Seattle team and barely won and barely lost. Are you guys new?? Have you been part of the franchise the last 2-3 years or last 20 ? We do make tons of mistakes. And KK is not Lombardi. But we are in every game and we can beat anyone. No one here had us this good this year no one!!! And now we are everyone acts crazy. Of course KK struggles. He has never coached in the NFL. The speed and talent is way different. But his offense gets yards and points.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really think it's a combination of Thur night and Kyler's shoulder. 5:57 first quarter he gets tackled from behind and Collier falls on him, gets up holding his shoulder. From that point on he's grimacing, heat packs, when he ran he was clearly protecting the shoulder. As Aikman said several times he's walking off the way the arm is hanging you can tell he's in discomfort.

So I don't think he was the real Kyler because he was afraid to just turn it loose and run.

We've all seen some inaccurate throws but with him it's usually high, or wide, last night he was low or short on a half dozen throws I'm assuming that's because of the shoulder.

I hope the extra rest heals him, we're going to need it. If you look at the forecast right now they're saying rain and a chance of snow in NE for that game. If they also move it to Sunday night(I swear I saw an ad for it) then it's going to be even colder.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kliff won’t be looked at as a good HC until he trots out a mediocre QB out there & gets wins with him

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Honestly...a case of the Thursdays. Seahawks dropped a TD and missed an extra point. I think our coach/qb needed that full week of prep. It is what it is. Still upset about the Dolphins game truth be told.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kliff won’t be looked at as a good HC until he trots out a mediocre QB out there & gets wins with him
I think he's proved he belongs but also his team is sloppy, lacks discipline and still has a lot of trouble in places it shouldn't.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he's proved he belongs but also his team is sloppy, lacks discipline and still has a lot of trouble in places it shouldn't.
Yea, I agree the discipline part is hella concerning. Kliff needs to get a fix on that crap.

But I just don’t like this notion that’s building that when good things happen, it’s cause of Kyler in spite of Kliff, but when bad things happen, it’s cause of Kliff, even for crap that is out of his control.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The discipline is a problem.

Discipline and game planning.

Why the high number of penalties on both sides of the ball?

How many deep shots did the Cardinals take? 1 maybe 2???

I dont think we target Hopkins nearly enough, he should be seeing 10 targets a game minimum

You have the best wr in the league on your team. Get him the ball however you can.

I think some of that is on Kliff some is on Kyler. Its hard to tell. Whenever they show the all 22, Hop is getting doubled tightly

Kliff needs to use motion and isolate hopkins 1-1.

Just get him the ball please.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
First Seattle TD block in the back before Wilson can throw that blocks out what would have been a sack clear no flag by the zebras but okay.

Than injury to Kyler.

DL couldn't stop the run most of the time.

Mason Cole missed some assigment.

Murray reads the playaction wrong on 3 and 1 and we don't get a FG or TD but they get one.

going to 21:23

D stops and than the dumb holding after 2nd and 22 ... just two dumb mistakes one after another... putting them to 25:21 and giving them the ball. That for me was game deciding.

Than we can't scoop up the ball in a fumble... and they score a FG.

And then we can't move the chain on 4 downs with near to no time.

Overall an okayish game, bad breaks and some really dumb unnecessary penalties and bad luck on some balls. Without the Safty and getting the Fumble in the 4th quarter we win. 24:23 probably but non the lesss only a FG in 4 minutes would have been enough to win it.

Seattle is a contender, Rams Goff had a great day and Wilson a day to forget, against us, he did play on MVP level again and it isn't easy to win if your MVP playing QB gets hurt in the 1st QRT.

The team was in it, again as usual, we need to cut down the penalties, that is something I stated on every gameday threat or pre gameday threat because this is a problem we had last year and still have.

Overall, we are at 6-4 and all of the 4 games we could have won if we had more luck or less penalties. Something that we need to cut down but is something we can achieve. It's not like we are a team that is 6-4 and on all 4 loses they didn't even have a chance. We were in the games never had really "stat times" and tha is all you can ask for in the 2nd year of HC & QB, D again played a little bit better than last time, but yeah there is room to improve on all 3 phases.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Overall

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel that the Cards have improved a lot in KK and Kyler's 2nd year and are on the edge of being a playoff team. However, they still have holes to fill and improvement is needed by both the coaches and the players on a list of items (i.e. play calling, penalties, etc).

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you guys insane?? We just won an amazing game Sunday where it has been shown and talked about tor 4 days straight. We play on a Thursday night!! On the road in a fairly cold atmosphere. Playing a top notch opponent in their biggest game of the season. We had many mental errors yes. And we gifted them 12 points. 3 right before the half. The 7 points on Dre because it would have been 4th. And the. The safety. Kyler was hurt or atleast something wasn’t right with his shoulder. And yet eh threw for 269 yards and if that last pass was to Hopkins instead of Isabella we tie the game. We have went toe to toe with a 7-3 Buffalo team and a 7-3 Seattle team and barely won and barely lost. Are you guys new?? Have you been part of the franchise the last 2-3 years or last 20 ? We do make tons of mistakes. And KK is not Lombardi. But we are in every game and we can beat anyone. No one here had us this good this year no one!!! And now we are everyone acts crazy. Of course KK struggles. He has never coached in the NFL. The speed and talent is way different. But his offense gets yards and points.

You start off while "Are you crazy?" but then point out all the reasons why it's not crazy.

Winning amazing games Sunday don't matter if you then lose a game you should win next. I thought the Seahawks were worse than the Bills were on Sunday on both sides of the ball, and we won that game and scored 32.

As you say, we gifted them 12 points and we made tonnes of stupid mistakes both playing and coaching. That game was there to be won and instead of being ahead in the division we are 3rd.

It was nice to be talked about for 4 days after the Bills win, what last nights game does is make all those people go "Oh, same old Cards I see". Every time we put ourselves in the national picture, like the first win vs Seattle, we shoot ourselves in the foot. Like we did vs Miami.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'll settle for trotting out a good QB and winning the games he should win.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You start off while "Are you crazy?" but then point out all the reasons why it's not crazy.

Winning amazing games Sunday don't matter if you then lose a game you should win next. I thought the Seahawks were worse than the Bills were on Sunday on both sides of the ball, and we won that game and scored 32.

As you say, we gifted them 12 points and we made tonnes of stupid mistakes both playing and coaching. That game was there to be won and instead of being ahead in the division we are 3rd.

It was nice to be talked about for 4 days after the Bills win, what last nights game does is make all those people go "Oh, same old Cards I see". Every time we put ourselves in the national picture, like the first win vs Seattle, we shoot ourselves in the foot. Like we did vs Miami.
Are you ever gonna give Miami their credit? They are 6-3 for a reason. Stop treating them like they’re the damn Bengals or something.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing for sure. Kyler is getting pissed off with Kliff sometimes and some of his calls. You could see it last night on 3rd and 10 when he called the TO. There was no need to call that TO. You can see the team are ready, trust Kyler knows what he is doing and will get the snap off.

Petty stuff like that, 2nd guessing Kyler, needs to stop.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson