Up in Smoke (1978)

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Up in Smoke is a 1978 American buddy comedy film directed by Lou Adler and starring Cheech Marin, Tommy Chong, Edie Adams, Strother Martin, Stacy Keach, and Tom Skerritt. It is Cheech & Chong's first feature-length film.

Cheech & Chong had been a counterculture comedy team for about ten years before they started reworking some of their material for their first film. Much of the film was shot in Los Angeles, California, including scenes set in Tijuana, while scenes set on the Mexican border were actually filmed at the border in Yuma, Arizona.

While negatively received upon its release, Up in Smoke grossed over $104 million, is credited with establishing the stoner film genre, and is now considered a classic.

------------------------------

I've seen pieces of this movie way back in the 80s, but I had never watched it from start to finish. Wow, what a trip. Dumb, but so funny.

I've seen pieces of their follow up films as well, but I don't remember a single scene. They have pretty bad reviews, so I'll probably skip them.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The double bubble line cracked us up the first time we watched it. And my wife and I still quote from this movie every now and then. Yes, it's silly but it's hilarious at times. We love most of their albums but this is the only Cheech and Chong movie for us.

OP
OP
Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
The double bubble line cracked us up the first time we watched it. And my wife and I still quote from this movie every now and then. Yes, it's silly but it's hilarious at times. We love most of their albums but this is the only Cheech and Chong movie for us.
My mom had one of those albums when I was a kid. The "Dave's not here" skit was absolutely hilarious.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My mom had one of those albums when I was a kid. The "Dave's not here" skit was absolutely hilarious.

It is. It's our favorite, we were the right age when it came out too which really helped.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Up in Smoke is a 1978 American buddy comedy film directed by Lou Adler and starring Cheech Marin, Tommy Chong, Edie Adams, Strother Martin, Stacy Keach, and Tom Skerritt. It is Cheech & Chong's first feature-length film.

Cheech & Chong had been a counterculture comedy team for about ten years before they started reworking some of their material for their first film. Much of the film was shot in Los Angeles, California, including scenes set in Tijuana, while scenes set on the Mexican border were actually filmed at the border in Yuma, Arizona.

While negatively received upon its release, Up in Smoke grossed over $104 million, is credited with establishing the stoner film genre, and is now considered a classic.

------------------------------

I've seen pieces of this movie way back in the 80s, but I had never watched it from start to finish. Wow, what a trip. Dumb, but so funny.

I've seen pieces of their follow up films as well, but I don't remember a single scene. They have pretty bad reviews, so I'll probably skip them.

"Nice dreams" was pretty good too but nothing can touch up in smoke