We are not contenders....yet

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see so much up and down on this board it’s comical.

we lost to Seattle in Seattle on a short week by 7 and it’s “Kyler is the dumbest QB in football” and KK can’t coach and on and on about how terrible we are.

this isn’t our year it was never going to be our year. Kyler and KK are both in there 2nd freaking year in the NFL. Our defense is banged up to hell

as far as I’m concerned we are playing with house money. we are ahead of schedule. This is not a “terrible” team. How quickly you guys forget just 2 years ago when we were historically bad.

relax breath it’s all gonna be ok the future is bright

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The rest of our schedule is fairly easy.
Ramsx2 (I’ll say 1-1)
49ers W
Eagles W
Giants W
Patriots W

11-5 :)

going from sucking to being good is done in stages

stage 1 beat the teams your supposed to beat and be competitive against the good teams maybe steal a win here and there

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Since we have a mini Bye week, this team better get its collective head out of its ass regarding penalties. Need to bring back Arians accountability board for this stuff.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do people forget that just a few years ago an 8-8 team in the Giants won the super bowl - or our record the year we went to the super bowl?

It's about how you are playing at the end of the year, and just getting into the playoffs that matter.

AzCards777

Rookie
Reaction score
We are contenders! We could not have played any worse. Fall start after fall start, dumb kirkptarick play, gave them a TD. The botched screen that led to intentional grounding & later a saftey. & we were still right there.

Not saying we are going to win it all, but we are good enough to make the playoffs and make some noise.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think we are right at the door step. Just need to clean up on these stupid penalties. Those were stalling our drives and giving the other teams life on their drives.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In the past 4 games, it has gone down to the wire. We are lucky to be 2-2 and not 0-4. As Finito points out, this is a roster, QB, and HC in process.

At the start of the year, I had us down for 8-8. When San Fran suffered all their injuries after our first victory against them, I bumped that up to 10-6. We are still on course for a 10-6 season. I'll take that in just KM and K2's second year.

I hate seeing us lose---but I've also see enough to be positive with what is developing.

Simmons was on the field and making plays---that's a very positive development. Another player or two via draft, another FA signing---we'll be cooking with gas.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

we lost to Seattle in Seattle on a short week by 7 and it’s “Kyler is the dumbest QB in football” and KK can’t coach and on and on about how terrible we are.

this isn’t our year it was never going to be our year. Kyler and KK are both in there 2nd freaking year in the NFL. Our defense is banged up to hell

as far as I’m concerned we are playing with house money. we are ahead of schedule. This is not a “terrible” team. How quickly you guys forget just 2 years ago when we were historically bad.

I have been saying the same. The only reason we are being teased is that we have one hell of a young dynamic QB who's ahead of schedule and making these games close while the rest of the team (defense) needs more talent. Great to see Simmons get some seasoning and he's only going to get better with the schemes and then his instincts will click where we will really see his physical gifts... not thinking but reacting :raccoon:

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I get what you are saying, and yes I admit I get hyperbolic when I watch us give away games...but I'm sorry...I will stick to this point.

When you lead the league in penalties, you are a horrible team. I don't care what your record is. You think you are better than you are, you have a poor, unprofessional mindset, and you don't care enough to play smart.

Four false starts in an empty stadium? An intentional grounding...again. A penalty that causes a safety? A freakin personal foul that gives them a first down and an eventual TD?

Seattle played poorly tonight. Fumbles, dropped TD passes, penalties all over...including a bunch that weren't called...but still. We could have lost that game by 30 with how poorly we played. It was a horrible game, looked like we didn't care to win it.

I have lived through that crap with too many coaches. If you are an NFL head coach you go to the podium and say, "I take the blame for everything but the penalties. If we have players that keep committing penalties, we can't have them on the field"...and then you back it up with sitting guys that play like idiots.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I feel like Kyler’s injury literally changed the whole game. He didn’t even attempt to rush much. I hope it’s minor and he’s ready to go against NE with the extra rest.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We are contenders! We could not have played any worse. Fall start after fall start, dumb kirkptarick play, gave them a TD. The botched screen that led to intentional grounding & later a saftey. & we were still right there.

Not saying we are going to win it all, but we are good enough to make the playoffs and make some noise.

Some games we play like contenders, other games we play like pretenders. We've got a couple of teams in the NFC that will overmatch us and slap us down as pretenders. We lost to one of the worst D's in the entire NFL with Seattle---and we still have to get past the Rams, Bucs, NO, etc. Not going to happen this year---keep the faith and pull my finger.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No idea why you run a screen pass so close to your own endzone when you've been a penalty magnet.. Im not sure we're there yet. Cause Kliff is still learning how to win in general. Doesn't have a vet QB to cover for him as he learns. Not saying he cant..its just the coaching matchups get tougher. Game management become s crucial. If we had another horse on offense we could be talented enough to overcome it. However as of now we're throwing screen passes to Fitz. This season hinges on Kyler playing above ahead. Just is.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
We have the talent to win a Super Bowl, but the game management defies pop Warner standards.

The in game decisions are baffling. Sometimes they are genius, but many times it’s sickening.

kliff needs to pop some beers (or some Tito’s) and watch football from his couch this Sunday. It’s not about the X’s and O’s; it is about knowing the odds of the pro game. That Buffalo troll had a point.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I feel like Kyler’s injury literally changed the whole game. He didn’t even attempt to rush much. I hope it’s minor and he’s ready to go against NE with the extra rest.

Perhaps, but Kyler has to learn to adapt. He looked completely lost out there with his decision making. Getting sacked on that last 4th down with time to throw is something I’d expect from a Mitch Tribusky-caliber QB. If Kyler is to progress and be a legit MVP candidate, he has to be more alert

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Do people forget that just a few years ago an 8-8 team in the Giants won the super bowl - or our record the year we went to the super bowl?

It's about how you are playing at the end of the year, and just getting into the playoffs that matter.

plus, in theory, we match up really well against KC.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps, but Kyler has to learn to adapt. He looked completely lost out there with his decision making. Getting sacked on that last 4th down with time to throw is something I’d expect from a Mitch Tribusky-caliber QB. If Kyler is to progress and be a legit MVP candidate, he has to be more alert
we didn't get a great angle of it, but it looked like the receivers were all on go routes. there were no slants or easy throws available. why in the world would the play call be deep routes on 4th and 10 with the game on the line, and a timeout remaining.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Seattle DC Ken Norton did a great job of coming up with a game plan for KM. He had the D hold the line of scrimmage instead of vacating running lanes with blitizing, etc.
Look for other teams to copy this until K2 counters.

This kept KM contained and forced him to pass. KM still has accuracy issues and throwing open his receivers. Our WRs were doing everything possible to twist, turn, leap, etc to make the catch. Once again, very little YAC. He almost got our TE killed with a high pass that left him exposed, almost got Hop cut in half. The shoulder may have been part of that---but he has been doing that all season.

Need to take a look at his wind-up before throwing. He's losing that split second that would get the ball to Fitz before the collision at the goal line, to Isabella before the CBs covering him close and knock the ball away. He's patting the ball like he's a shortstop who just speared a one-hop ground ball and knows he has time for the first baseman to get over before he makes the throw. That's a tell who is going to get the ball and also slows down the final delivery. Someone tell him he's throwing to an NFL WR and not to a college first baseman who is getting to the base and giving him a glove for a target.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have the talent to win a Super Bowl, but the game management defies pop Warner standards.

The in game decisions are baffling. Sometimes they are genius, but many times it’s sickening.

kliff needs to pop some beers (or some Tito’s) and watch football from his couch this Sunday. It’s not about the X’s and O’s; it is about knowing the odds of the pro game. That Buffalo troll had a point.
Why do some of you guys believe we have the talent to win a Super Bowl?

With what pass rush....? We aren’t going far without one

We have the talent to make the playoffs, but it stops there

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score

This. We were in the Super bowl while being called the worst playoff team ever.

every single team in the NFL looks mortal this year. We have every reason to believe we can win the Super Bowl this year also. Our defense is going to get back a lot of injured players that would’ve made it huge difference tonight. I am not trashing our quarterback or coach.b”. I think that we have the right to believe we can win the Super Bowl this year. It’s not that far fetched.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Sorry but I feel we lost the game mostly due to our D game plan. We have the most success against them when we play aggressive, pressure them, and mix it up to cause them to make mistakes. We played the whole game soft, for some odd reason. Playing so far off their WRs each play was a failure. It was like we were allowing them to march down the field. Almost like we were saying go ahead and take it down the field and score as long as their drives eat up a lot of the clock.

The only thing that soft of a D does is prevent us from making any turn overs. We never got into their QBs head. Made it just too easy for him.

Their D was the opposite of ours. We let them have 10 yard pass plays. They pressed us to where we threw 2 and 3 yd passes and they were right there to tackle us before we could even make a move. Its like they tempted us to go long and we just refused to do it. You could tell Kyler called for deep passes a few times but he always looked and then pulled the ball down. He just seems afraid to let it go. Afraid of being intercepted, it appeared. I admit I don't know what he saw on those or how covered our guys were way down field. Just logic says they couldn't be playing up that close on us every play and still have us covered so good every time we wanted to try for a home run.

It seems Hopkins would tell Kyler to let it fly. "I have the best odds of catching it or getting a flag on them. Don't worry so much that it could be intercepted. Give me a chance to make a play occasionally." I am sure they do it all week in practice.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Seattle DC Ken Norton did a great job of coming up with a game plan for KM. He had the D hold the line of scrimmage instead of vacating running lanes with blitizing, etc.
Look for other teams to copy this until K2 counters.

This kept KM contained and forced him to pass. KM still has accuracy issues and throwing open his receivers. Our WRs were doing everything possible to twist, turn, leap, etc to make the catch. Once again, very little YAC. He almost got our TE killed with a high pass that left him exposed, almost got Hop cut in half. The shoulder may have been part of that---but he has been doing that all season.

Need to take a look at his wind-up before throwing. He's losing that split second that would get the ball to Fitz before the collision at the goal line, to Isabella before the CBs covering him close and knock the ball away. He's patting the ball like he's a shortstop who just speared a one-hop ground ball and knows he has time for the first baseman to get over before he makes the throw. That's a tell who is going to get the ball and also slows down the final delivery. Someone tell him he's throwing to an NFL WR and not to a college first baseman who is getting to the base and giving him a glove for a target.

i've noticed this too. this needs to be corrected. how has our qb guru HC not brought this up to kyler and fixed this

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Why do some of you guys believe we have the talent to win a Super Bowl?

With what pass rush....? We aren’t going far without one

We have the talent to make the playoffs, but it stops there

All teams this year have weaknesses. look at the rest of the league. Who do you see that is unstoppable? The Chiefs have looked very average lately. every team looks inconsistent. Even the Steelers don’t look that great, they’ve just played some very bad teams. It’s a very weird year.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All teams this year have weaknesses. look at the rest of the league. Who do you see that is unstoppable? The Chiefs have looked very average lately. every team looks inconsistent. Even the Steelers don’t look that great, they’ve just played some very bad teams. It’s a very weird year.
A pass-rush weakness is bigger than most other weaknesses

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Yep but just like everything else in today’s world, people just want to bitch & moan & bitch & moan like 2 year olds.

This board has clearly gone down the tubes where most critic every single play, every second of each game & every player negatively. Imo it’s really sad

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson