Jalen Smith

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm ecstatic. I think BOS and maybe even SA would have taken him if he got past us. I think he will contribute as a rookie, he could even spot start at PF with Ayton and shift to C when Ayton comes out. I've read PHX is / was interested in Harrell & Gallinari so maybe they bring in a veteran on a short term deal. I think both guys will be out of MLE range though, if that's the case I could see PHX bringing Saric back. I believe Tre Jones was someone PHX was in contact with, he would be a nice back up PG if PHX can buy a second rounder but if not maybe Jones wants to see how Cameron Payne does in a full season.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
From his highlights, he seems very aggressive and will drive to the basket, dunking on anyone, and shoot threes. I like it.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If that's so true, what other players in this draft went way ahead of where they were supposed to in this draft besides him?

Patrick Williams - he was at least known to be flying up draft boards.
Haliburton dropped, S. Bey dropped, Hayes moved up, Stewart moved up, Azubuike moved up. There are likely quite a few more as well and even the last ESPN mock had Smith going 14th. So at least according to who does their mocks he wasn't really much of a reach at all at 10.

That was using tankathon and ESPN and at least those names were a decent amount off from where they ended up.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting pick. He is going to have battle on the block with the big boys.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope the new training facility has at least two squat racks and deadlift platforms. Both Ayton and Smith should be on those twice a week, squatting and pulling heavy weight.

I see lots of BS functional training in a lot of the workout videos as well as training glamour muscles. Our big men need to get strong. Ayton floated around too much for my liking and Smith's nickname is Stix. These boys need some trunk strength.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hope the new training facility has at least two squat racks and deadlift platforms. Both Ayton and Smith should be on those twice a week, squatting and pulling heavy weight.

I see lots of BS functional training in a lot of the workout videos as well as training glamour muscles. Our big men need to get strong. Ayton floated around too much for my liking and Smith's nickname is Stix. These boys need some trunk strength.
Totally agree. They don't have much time before season starts but guys need to be in weight room like tomorrow. Smith is listed at 225 but hopefully by end of year he's around 240. If Tyrell Terry put on 20 pounds of muscle in 5 months so can Smith.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, I must admit he is looking more and more impressive the more video I watch on this guy.

Like watching video of him and the than video of Jaren Jackson - there actually isn't a ton of difference. He might be able to be that good.

He seems really smart and serious in the interview video also.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
10. Phoenix Suns: Jalen Smith, F/C, Maryland
The Suns clearly don’t believe in draft ranges, that’s for sure. A year after shocking the NBA draft community by taking Cam Johnson at no. 11, they did it again with Smith, who was ranked no. 17 on The Ringer’s big board. There are more than a few similarities between the two players. Both are 3-and-D prospects with great size and big question marks surrounding every other part of their game. Shot-blocking centers with legitimate 3-point range aren’t quite as unusual as they used to be, but players like Smith are still fairly uncommon. The question is how much he can play as a power forward next to Deandre Ayton. Otherwise the Suns just used a top-10 pick on someone who can only play 15 minutes per game on their roster.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Well, I must admit he is looking more and more impressive the more video I watch on this guy.

Like watching video of him and the than video of Jaren Jackson - there actually isn't a ton of difference. He might be able to be that good.

He seems really smart and serious in the interview video also.
JJJ is I believe more athletic, but I think Smith has a better shooting stroke, is a better rebounder and doesn't have issues with fouls.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i don't know anything about the players available but Haliburton got an A+ from CBSSports and i think we could have used a backup pg. They gave our pick/decision the worst rating of the top 50 picks:

"Phoenix does have a history of doing things that don't make a lot of sense. Grade: D-"

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...o-mavericks-deal-al-horford-picks-to-thunder/
At “at the time.” At the end of that sentence. Cam Johnson turned out to be a great pick.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
At “at the time.” At the end of that sentence. Cam Johnson turned out to be a great pick.
It's funny to see all the hate the Cam pick got last year, but if you watch videos talking about the Suns future now Cam is consistently referred to as one of our core pieces.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This video also explains where the nickname "Stix" came from. When he was in HS he was younger he was really skinny and that's how he got the name. He has already bulked up a lot since HS and that is a good sign if we are looking for him to continue to do more of that in the NBA.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's funny to see all the hate the Cam pick got last year, but if you watch videos talking about the Suns future now Cam is consistently referred to as one of our core pieces.

And the uproar the fanbase had at the idea of including him in a CP3 trade. When you consider how long it took for the Suns pick to leak compared to all the previous picks it seems pretty clear they were trying to move back(probably taking a lesson from last year), but there wasn't any movement in the lottery despite several teams reportedly wanting to move back and it takes 2 to tango. Smith may work out, or he may not but in the end it's better to just take the guy you want than worrying about draft value.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am looking at his weaknesses. He needs to bulk up. So do most young bigs. His court vision and passing are not great. Probably need to lose those glasses. Defensive footwork is not the best. A willing learner will get that. He doesn’t have the best post up game. Like that really matters in today’s NBA.

I am really warming to this pick.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I am looking at his weaknesses. He needs to bulk up. So do most young bigs. His court vision and passing are not great. Probably need to lose those glasses. Defensive footwork is not the best. A willing learner will get that. He doesn’t have the best post up game. Like that really matters in today’s NBA.

I am really warming to this pick.
Don't you usually want glasses if your vision is bad? ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson