Do you like the trade?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are so wrong on virtually all of this. You literally called him a bad contract.

I haven't followed the back and forth here so I'm not trying to come down on one side or other of the conversation but I also would call Paul a bad contract. But for me, that doesn't mean he isn't a good player, just that his value is exceeded by his contract and that's assuming relatively good health and no precipitous decline in his skills.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You don't know what you are talking about. Where? You putting words in my mouth doesn't help your case. Oh and yes, eating up all your cap space is incredibly stupid unless you think you are putting together a team that can compete for it all. If that wasn't the case all NBA teams would be maxing their cap space with mediocre players because there isn't enough stars to go around.
You wrote it!! I'm done talking to you since you won't even own up to what you wrote.

Accusing me of not knowing what I'm talking is rich considering you have absolutely zero clue about why this trade was made. Maddening. I'm done talking to you, so have a nice day.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I haven't followed the back and forth here so I'm not trying to come down on one side or other of the conversation but I also would call Paul a bad contract. But for me, that doesn't mean he isn't a good player, just that his value is exceeded by his contract and that's assuming relatively good health and no precipitous decline in his skills.
I'm not saying that Paul ISN'T a bad contract, I'm saying he isn't ONLY a bad contract. If this was Zach Collins on a 44m/yr contract, now THAT would be a bad contract. But Paul's positives make that contract not as bad as it could be. And the fact that it's only for 2 more years also lessens the blow considering the potential return.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting quote from an interesting article.

• This trade unites two of last season’s most successful lineups. The Thunder’s lineup of Paul, Dennis Schroder, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Danilo Gallinari and Steven Adams outscored its opponents by 29.9 points per 100 possessions, while the Suns’ lineup of Rubio, Booker, Bridges, Oubre and Ayton outscored its opponents by 20.2 per 100. Those were the two best marks among 53 lineups that played at least 150 minutes together.

https://www.nba.com/news/film-study-chris-paul-brings-leadership-clutch-play-to-phoenix

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting quote from an interesting article.

• This trade unites two of last season’s most successful lineups. The Thunder’s lineup of Paul, Dennis Schroder, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Danilo Gallinari and Steven Adams outscored its opponents by 29.9 points per 100 possessions, while the Suns’ lineup of Rubio, Booker, Bridges, Oubre and Ayton outscored its opponents by 20.2 per 100. Those were the two best marks among 53 lineups that played at least 150 minutes together.

https://www.nba.com/news/film-study-chris-paul-brings-leadership-clutch-play-to-phoenix

Rubio was the least of the Suns problems. I dislike seeing him leave.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rubio was the least of the Suns problems. I dislike seeing him leave.
I am not sure anyone thought that Rubio was a problem, they just see Paul as an improvement. I do too, as long as he is able to stay on the floor and before he needs a walker to get to the bus after the game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully Chris Paul will have a halo effect of attracting players that would not normally play for Phoenix.

Replacing Rubio with Paul is not enough. Suns must do more.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They need to get players who can stay healthy. We do not need another walking wounded season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Keeping Oubre is more about building through youth on the team and building over time. In contrast getting CP3 is about taking a run at it right now IMO. You don't take on his $41.4MM salary in 2020/21 and his $44.2MM player option for '21/22 just to get to the playoffs. That's ludicrous. IMO the team feels that if they can get in, with CP3, Booker and Ayton they have a shot to make a run. I am not saying that's enough or realistic but that has to be part of the thought process.

Also, I am not so sure that making trades verses signing guys who want to come here is a shot in the arm. Especially for guys who appear they are on the way out. The team might have more respect from a competitive standpoint but I seriously doubt this changes many perceptions about Sarver. Now if he continuous to let front office guys do what they need and stay in the background? Yes...perceptions will change. I think it's hard for this guy to keep his hands off but kudos.

It's all fun and games until you find out you got an STD. There have been a TON of examples of short term moves that destroyed the chemistry of the team or just didn't work out. It's sort of like waking up next to that person realizing you had beer goggles on the night before.
I don’t think you can classify Paul as “beer goggles” when he was named second team all nba and 7th in mvp voting just a month ago. Maybe a hot cougar. And when younger I would’ve woken up happy with that.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think you can classify Paul as “beer goggles” when he was named second team all nba and 7th in mvp voting just a month ago. Maybe a hot cougar. And when younger I would’ve woken up happy with that.
We are also not getting CP3 in his prime. His win totals have gone down 3 years running. I think he still us something left in the tank for sure. I am not suggesting otherwise.

I love the hot cougar analogy.

[emoji23]

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You wrote it!! I'm done talking to you since you won't even own up to what you wrote.

Accusing me of not knowing what I'm talking is rich considering you have absolutely zero clue about why this trade was made. Maddening. I'm done talking to you, so have a nice day.
No I didn’t. Put up or shut up Chap. Point me to where I used the words CP3 is a bad contract. You are delusional.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
We are also not getting CP3 in his prime. His win totals have gone down 3 years running. I think he still us something left in the tank for sure. I am not suggesting otherwise.

I love the hot cougar analogy.

[emoji23]
2 years running (His first year with Houston was 65 wins) and last year he was playing on a less talented team than the year prior and still had them on a 50 win pace.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul is on the cover of SLAM magazine.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hopefully Chris Paul will have a halo effect of attracting players that would not normally play for Phoenix.

Replacing Rubio with Paul is not enough. Suns must do more.

Paul is a lot better than Rubio, though. I think it is enough. Anything else is window dressing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul is a lot better than Rubio, though. I think it is enough. Anything else is window dressing.

Once there was a huge difference between the game of Chris Paul and Ricky Rubio. I'm not so sure at this stage of Paul's career although he knows how to win and he is a leader. Also this is something reportedly Devin Booker wanted.

This may be enough for the Suns to win and be a playoff team but if they want to do more they need one more key player.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Once there was a huge difference between the game of Chris Paul and Ricky Rubio. I'm not so sure at this stage of Paul's career although he knows how to win and he is a leader. Also this is something reportedly Devin Booker wanted.

This may be enough for the Suns to win and be a playoff team but if they want to do more they need one more key player.
From a simple statistics point of view they aren't all that far apart, but Rubio has a much more limited game as a scorer both on and off ball and like you said Paul has a lot more experience with winning as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From a simple statistics point of view they aren't all that far apart, but Rubio has a much more limited game as a scorer both on and off ball and like you said Paul has a lot more experience with winning as well.

IMO, the reason you trade for Chris Paul is to go for it all and of course to keep Devin Booker happy. Otherwise I thought Rubio did a nice job. He had a very good season.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
IMO, the reason you trade for Chris Paul is to go for it all and of course to keep Devin Booker happy. Otherwise I thought Rubio did a nice job. He had a very good season.
He did, but his game isn't really ideal for the current NBA game. You want your lead guard to be a legit scoring threat with or without the ball. Rubio plays hard and is a good passer, but has limitations outside of that. I just feel like a Paul/Booker backcourt is simply more difficult to defend than a Rubio/Booker backcourt and that is not meant as a slight to Rubio.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I noticed it seemed Chris Paul didn't worry about scoring a lot in the games I watched, until the fourth quarter. He tried to set guys up more during the game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul gets a vote for favorite trade/signing this off season.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media