I’ve Been Trying to Decide What I Saw

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't get that none of them COULD knock it down? None of them got high enough to get the ball, the only guy that did was the guy who caught it. A friend of mine said Murray needs to work on that the one thing you don't want on a hail mary is to overthrow everyone so nobody has a chance. as someone else said this wasn't a traditional hail mary, he threw that ball to D hop in a place where only D HOp could get it. He did it earlier in the game off the blitz and D Hop didn't react because the ball came out early and it flew over the top and people said inaccurate throw. It was a perfect throw it was just too early, and he missed Arnold open. But IF D Hop had been later in his route, he would have IMO caught that ball too.
And none of them swing at his arms. Once he’s got it try to bash his arms. But nope. TD!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get higher with 1 hand than 2 because you rotate your shoulders. That's why everyone at the combine does the VJ with one hand.

Right that's why 21 on Buffalo was doing it with one hand he was trying to bat the ball down, just couldn't get there. That's why Hyde behind him went up with one hand too. The only one of the 3 that didn't was White and he was the one who realized I'm not going to get the ball so I'm going to try and knock it out, but then 21 collided with him.

None of them could get high enough. maybe they should have had Beasley back there too the way he skied for the one hander earlier.

Anybody who's ever played basketball understands you can get up higher with one hand, 2 of the 3 defenders did that, Hopkins still got up higher.

The interesting thing is if you look at his combine numbers, hand size in the 90the percentile but vertical jump only in 65the and arm length in the 80s. It's not like he's got freakishly long arms or Zion hops. He just has long arms, big hands, great hops AND great timing, and most importantly insanely strong hands

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And none of them swing at his arms. Once he’s got it try to bash his arms. But nope. TD!

White was trying to but his own teammate 21 knocked into him when he came flying in one handed trying to bat it down

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Kyler, Watson, Mahomes, Rodgers, & Maybe Russ (prolly not)

Aaron gets away if it matters, and he makes that throw even at his age IMO. The others, have the ability and the accuracy.

Allen & Lamar have zero accuracy on that type of throw. Zero shot IMO.

Russ doesn't throw the ball in a way that I think he would have been able to contort his body appropriately to make an accurate throw. He really uses/needs his lower half/base to make throws deep more than most other QB's.

The question I have is this...... Does Herbert have it? I can't really figure him out yet.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As incredible as shaking the defender, throwing against your body to the perfect spot, my favorite thing about that play as far as Murray was concerned was his completely nonplussed reaction to the catch. Simply raises his arms and that’s it.

That’s a QB who EXPECTS to win every time he steps on the field.

We dont just finally have a star QBOTF. If he can elevate his passing game a little bit, this kid might legit end up the best player in the league. That is jump out of your skin exciting.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d include Allen.

I don't think I would. I'd have to see it to believe it. He was running perpendicular to how he was running, as in a baseball type throw. That's why I think only the baseball QBs make that throw. Mahomes, Wilson, Kyler.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Praise Murray and Hopkins all you want, but don't forget it was the KK hire and KK's insistence to draft Murray. I'm not privileged to the selling job that had to go on in the meeting rooms, but I would imagine it was KK being so adamant that convinced the others.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Praise Murray and Hopkins all you want, but don't forget it was the KK hire and KK's insistence to draft Murray. I'm not privileged to the selling job that had to go on in the meeting rooms, but I would imagine it was KK being so adamant that convinced the others.
I think in a Flight Plan they went over this and KK actually did think they were going to go with Rosen and wasn't aggressive about drafting Murray, he was trying to know his place. Keim was jealous of the Seahawks with Wilson, thinking "I would never have the balls to draft Wilson" and really really really liked Murray's tape.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As incredible as shaking the defender, throwing against your body to the perfect spot, my favorite thing about that play as far as Murray was concerned was his completely nonplussed reaction to the catch. Simply raises his arms and that’s it.

That’s a QB who EXPECTS to win every time he steps on the field.

We dont just finally have a star QBOTF. If he can elevate his passing game a little bit, this kid might legit end up the best player in the league. That is jump out of your skin exciting.
I love how he had the presence of mind to turn away and watch the catch on the jumbotron. That guy is always thinking.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Right that's why 21 on Buffalo was doing it with one hand he was trying to bat the ball down, just couldn't get there. That's why Hyde behind him went up with one hand too. The only one of the 3 that didn't was White and he was the one who realized I'm not going to get the ball so I'm going to try and knock it out, but then 21 collided with him.

None of them could get high enough. maybe they should have had Beasley back there too the way he skied for the one hander earlier.

Anybody who's ever played basketball understands you can get up higher with one hand, 2 of the 3 defenders did that, Hopkins still got up higher.

The interesting thing is if you look at his combine numbers, hand size in the 90the percentile but vertical jump only in 65the and arm length in the 80s. It's not like he's got freakishly long arms or Zion hops. He just has long arms, big hands, great hops AND great timing, and most importantly insanely strong hands
Funny part was.... they were not that high... seen a photo of the side view and they weren’t two feet off the ground.... my old fat ass could jump that high

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Spit it out sissy

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Watch the replay closely and you will see that Murray actually does get his shoulders square to the field before making the throw.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Watch the replay closely and you will see that Murray actually does get his shoulders square to the field before making the throw.
True and it’s important but also note he gets his forward momentum from rotating his body, not stepping into his throw. Can he do that with consistent accuracy? Only time will tell.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
True and it’s important but also note he gets his forward momentum from rotating his body, not stepping into his throw. Can he do that with consistent accuracy? Only time will tell.

I noticed the rotation too. That's the only way he gets it to the end zone. I noticed it on other deep throws he has made. A lot of body rotation versus stepping.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
A lot of body rotation versus stepping.

that is a big part of his regular throws -- its a sling. You can see the baseball background in it -- looks like a shortstop on a double play

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
It's the torque he puts on his hips to get his upper half around that continues to amaze me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA