Our defense

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
As of right now, in the NFC only the rams and bears have given up less points. If the bears allow 21 points tomorrow cards D will be second in the NFC.

While it doesn't always feel that way during the game. Our d is better than we give them credit for.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That’s true no Chandler Jones. Our D is not good but they do hang tough.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That’s true no Chandler Jones. Our D is not good but they do hang tough.
They are a scrappy defense that keeps fighting till the end.

They don't stop anyone consistently, but they at least don't give up when things aren't going their way.

This game was a prime example of a game where the defense could have started to fold and just kind of cave in, but they hung tough and gave the offense all kinds of chances to pull away.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mentioned this before the game and it still rings true.

Vance plays 2 terrible quarters, one average quarter and one good quarter per game, every game.

Luckily for us, he is good at the end of the game and the first 1 quarters each game are his bad ones.

Not sure what is better, that he can't plan for an opponent with many days to prepare... or that he is so good with his halftime adjustments...

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
Mentioned this before the game and it still rings true.

Vance plays 2 terrible quarters, one average quarter and one good quarter per game, every game.

Luckily for us, he is good at the end of the game and the first 1 quarters each game are his bad ones.

Not sure what is better, that he can't plan for an opponent with many days to prepare... or that he is so good with his halftime adjustments...

I have said this too..we can't play 'good enough' most of the time
The cards need to play balls to the wall the whole game... still, kudos for getting there when it 'really' matters... now, just do that all the time...

OP
OP
R

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
It gives me hope that D could come together and start playing 4 full quarters.

Another part of me thinks that shut down defenses are a thing of the past. The rules are in favor of the offense already. As qbs become just as lethal running as passing, defenses just can't compensate.

In 2000, the ravens gave up 165 points all season. Were 2nd or 3rd best d in the nfc 9 games in and have given up 210.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just want to make the playoffs, whatever that takes, that's what I want
same. give me extra football and im pumped.... would also like to get to a home game this year... my Grandfather bought tickets the day the Cards moved here and I still havent been able to attend a home game this year... we'll get there though.. GBR

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said before the season started this offense would have to score 30 points a game and the defense just had to improve to the middle of the pack.

I don’t know what the average is but it seems that 75 % of winning scores this year is 30 points or more.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good defenses aren't really a thing in football anymore. Hate it or love it what we have right now is statistically a top defense. We become so much worse when anybody in our secondary misses a game and I think those games are the cause of all the hand ringing over our inconsistencies.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we're being honest with ourselves, we'll realize that our pass rush is lacking. Playing w/o Chandler Jones, imo, is the reason. We have to rely upon blitz packages dialed up by VJ. And when we go up against QB's like Josh Allen, Russell Wilson, Tua, Daniel Jones and Cam Newton, it's tough. We need our Edge players to step up their game. JMO.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why does he only start playing defense in Q3?

He's constantly terrible in the first half with garbage soft zone / off man with 7 yard cushions.

Then in Q3 he starts blitzing more. Starts pressing at the line. The whole defense just looks better.

So why not do more of that from the start and we don't have to keep playing from behind against good teams and putting it all on Kyler to create miracles?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why does he only start playing defense in Q3?

He's constantly terrible in the first half with garbage soft zone / off man with 7 yard cushions.

Then in Q3 he starts blitzing more. Starts pressing at the line. The whole defense just looks better.

So why not do more of that from the start and we don't have to keep playing from behind against good teams and putting it all on Kyler to create miracles?

I think he is afraid to show his more complicated packages until the 3rd and 4th to give the opponent less time to prepare.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honestly I stress terribly watching this defense. They may be fine statistically but they scare the hell out of me. I have very little confidence they will get a stop when we need it.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think he is afraid to show his more complicated packages until the 3rd and 4th to give the opponent less time to prepare.
I think we just adjust better at halftime than a lot of teams. Our initial game plan mixed with Buffalo using some smart early play calling had us a step behind. Then we adjust at halftime and proceed to shut down almost every one of their drives in the second half.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This defense plays their best when they have 6 guys on the line showing blitz. On the Bills last drive I was screaming to get 6 up on the line.

That is what Miami did to us and so did the Bills at times in this game. If forces your qb and the offense to have a quick outlet. One thing that Kyler needs to get better at is knowing his quick outlet rather than depend on his legs all the time.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They have seen it all on film. It's nothing they don't know about by now.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guttiest defensive performance that I've seen in quite a while.

We were without - Jones, Allen, Phillips, Fotu, Lawrence and finally, Peters.

I thought our interior D line did surprisingly well considering it was Blackson and Mauro with a bit of Coley for most of the game.

I hope Peters is ok, we are already screwed on the D line.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guttiest defensive performance that I've seen in quite a while.

We were without - Jones, Allen, Phillips, Fotu, Lawrence and finally, Peters.

The health of the defensive front is now our team's biggest problem.

Yesterday they had Coley in there and I was saying "Who?". Then he actually played decent. I have to give credit for Keim for his skill to band aid. But, once game planned for, we will see there are reasons guys like Mauro and Coley have never stuck with a team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose