Chris Paul for Oubre/Rubio/Jerome?

• Yes I would make the trade

• No I would not make the trade

Results are only viewable after voting.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
me too. What I don’t get is people either being over the moon or conversely pissed if this deal goes down. There’s pretty even positives and negatives and just a bevy of factors all around which makes them so.

As I've said, I'm really concerned about his age and health but if I were looking for a positive about this trade, it would center on his diet. Chris reportedly changed to a clean plant based diet last summer and there is the possibility that his improved play and availability last season are the result of that change. Dumping sugar and processed foods made a huge difference for late career Nash.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The reason OKC sells now is obvious. This was a go-nowhere team. The playoffs were a surprise and there was little-to-no reason they could improve. They are a limbo team with a couple of nice young players and a plethora of draft picks. If you can’t push for contention and the top end talent is old, you do the smart thing and start rebuilding. If anything this OKC team is descending with nice pieces for the future.

conversely the suns are likely done with the initial stages of rebuild. They are ascending. They seek proven vets to push over the top to playoffs. From there they build off their young stars. The older vets roll off but the hope is that by that time the young stars have taken over and you’ve pre-filled the older vacancies.
The only old player on OKC roster is Paul, Ganillari is a FA. The remainder of their core is under 30 which is the same boat PHX is in. So you think PHX should use the available cap space on a 35 year old Paul (there would be no money left for anything else) and give away productive starters who are younger and cheaper and much less expensive in addition to draft picks? Wow.

Few, if any, teams go from missing playoffs to contending. That’s not the next step.
PHX was a POR loss away from playoffs so they shouldn't need a Chris Paul to make them next year if they add a couple of young pieces to their bench and a FA like Ibaka.
Maintaining cap flexibility and draft capital are going to be invaluable the next couple of years with the pandemic sure to cause payroll and caps to go down. Taking on a 2 year $85M contract for a 35 year old player not named LeBron would have been crazy even in the pre pandemic world but would be ludacris in today's world of fanless arenas.

Our next step is to get to the playoffs and establishing a winning mindset. Paul helps to do that more than Oubre and Rubio. I can see why people don’t want to trade for him, but I can also see the positives in doing so.
Agree to disagree, maybe you can't see that some of us our reasonable people who feel that a 35 year old Chris Paul making $85M in the next 2 years is not worth trying to make the playoffs to say we made the playoffs when it's not even guaranteed we make the playoffs with him. Trading for Chris Paul should be a LAC move who are in a 2 year window to win NBA title.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The only old player on OKC roster is Paul, Ganillari is a FA. The remainder of their core is under 30 which is the same boat PHX is in. So you think PHX should use the available cap space on a 35 year old Paul (there would be no money left for anything else) and give away productive starters who are younger and cheaper and much less expensive in addition to draft picks? Wow.

PHX was a POR loss away from playoffs so they shouldn't need a Chris Paul to make them next year if they add a couple of young pieces to their bench and a FA like Ibaka.
Maintaining cap flexibility and draft capital are going to be invaluable the next couple of years with the pandemic sure to cause payroll and caps to go down. Taking on a 2 year $85M contract for a 35 year old player not named LeBron would have been crazy even in the pre pandemic world but would be ludacris in today's world of fanless arenas.

Agree to disagree, maybe you can't see that some of us our reasonable people who feel that a 35 year old Chris Paul making $85M in the next 2 years is not worth trying to make the playoffs to say we made the playoffs when it's not even guaranteed we make the playoffs with him. Trading for Chris Paul should be a LAC move who are in a 2 year window to win NBA title.
Way to get personal.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

what makes you think we're going to be able to go out and score a big time FA... especially in a FA class that seemingly has none?

PHX was a POR loss away... after a miracle 8-0 winning streak, in a bubble against some teams who had totally packed it in for the bubble (or year) and in a year where the Blazers had massive injuries AND the Warriors basically punted on the season.

I thoroughly enjoyed the bubble run, but we all can see now that at least a little of that was fool's gold as we kept playing teams who were resting almost entire starting lineups the last four games of that run, no?

hehe. I've got no major argument against this part. i see the positives and negatives involved.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Right now NBA Draft Room has us taking Haliburton at #10, if he's there then fine if not you have to consider trading down from #10 and look at Terry or Lewis as they are the next best available PG's in draft. Terry is starting to grow on me because of his shooting and the fact that he can play off ball and the experience of running with the second unit off the bench until Rubio's deal expires would help him transition into the starting PG role. He just has to work on continuing to get stronger which he has already begun doing this offseason adding 20 pounds of muscle to his frame.

I would be thrilled with Haliburton at 10. Unless we come away with another first round pick, Terry is way too risky of a pick, in my opinion, considering how utterly unproductive he has been in actual games against real competition.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Deals like this that linger don’t usually end up happening. I’ll be surprised if this one does.
Typically I would agree with you here but I think in today’s world with these unusual circumstances, those same premonitions don’t apply. There have been stories posted recently concerning players/execs around the league being unfamiliar or unclear on the new rules regarding the cap, free agency, etc. I’m sure those will get ironed out quickly, but in this era of adjusting to the pandemic, nothing is normal. Just my opinion.

I’m not a CP fan. I never have been. To that extent, the thought of him being in a Suns uni at age 35 doesn’t appeal much to me. It may somewhat address short term issues, but it might not as well due to reasons that have been hashed out already. There’s definitely risk involved. I’m also a big Oubre guy. I love him on this team, I feel like he genuinely loves being here, and I think he’s a very good talent. I understand his contract situation and potential growth of Bridges and Cam makes him a little expendable but I value him more than most it seems.

I guess for me, it all comes down to the PF position. If we can upgrade there, I could convince myself to be on board with a CP3 trade. If not, I don’t see the need to take him and his contract on for 2 years unless it’s to keep Book here until other moves can be made.

Compelling points for each side for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Paul and Gallo were their best and second best players and Gallo will be gone. Otherwise they are a 27 year old limited offense good defense center, a 27 year old 6th man and SGA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typically I would agree with you here but I think in today’s world with these unusual circumstances, those same premonitions don’t apply. There have been stories posted recently concerning players/execs around the league being unfamiliar or unclear on the new rules regarding the cap, free agency, etc. I’m sure those will get ironed out quickly, but in this era of adjusting to the pandemic, nothing is normal. Just my opinion.

I’m not a CP fan. I never have been. To that extent, the thought of him being in a Suns uni at age 35 doesn’t appeal much to me. It may somewhat address short term issues, but it might not as well due to reasons that have been hashed out already. There’s definitely risk involved. I’m also a big Oubre guy. I love him on this team, I feel like he genuinely loves being here, and I think he’s a very good talent. I understand his contract situation and potential growth of Bridges and Cam makes him a little expendable but I value him more than most it seems.

I guess for me, it all comes down to the PF position. If we can upgrade there, I could convince myself to be on board with a CP3 trade. If not, I don’t see the need to take him and his contract on for 2 years unless it’s to keep Book here until other moves can be made.

Compelling points for each side for sure.

I essentially have the same position. The Suns should add talent, not take it away.

If the Suns could add a starting power forward and strengthen other positions I would be content. I'd like the chance to keep Oubre. Also I do not see a huge difference going forward between a 35 year old Chris Paul and a 30 year old Ricky Rubio.

Sadly, I think it's mostly a done deal adding Chris Paul. I wish the Suns had never explored the trade but here we are.

Some positives for the trade is adding a star although an aging one, media recognition as a team with key players, hopefully being a playoff team (I see it the other way too), some excitement for opening the new arena, the Suns and Robert Sarver announcing to the NBA they are taking the next step and $44,211,146 coming off the books to use after the 2022/23 season.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I essentially have the same position. The Suns should add talent, not take it away.

If the Suns could add a starting power forward and strengthen other positions I would be content. I'd like the chance to keep Oubre. Also I do not see a huge difference going forward between a 35 year old Chris Paul and a 30 year old Ricky Rubio.

Sadly, I think it's mostly a done deal adding Chris Paul. I wish the Suns had never explored the trade but here we are.

Some positives for the trade is adding a star although an aging one, media recognition as a team with key players, hopefully being a playoff team (I see it the other way too), some excitement for opening the new arena, the Suns and Robert Sarver announcing to the NBA they are taking the next step and $44,211,146 coming off the books to use after the 2022/23 season.
Agreed man. It’s a good PR move for a team that has a chance to capitalize on some good vibes they got nationally from the bubble run. Regardless of my feelings for CP, he’s a league darling and certainly brings instant notoriety to the organization. I would just hope they make other moves to go along with his acquisition. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed man. It’s a good PR move for a team that has a chance to capitalize on some good vibes they got nationally from the bubble run. Regardless of my feelings for CP, he’s a league darling and certainly brings instant notoriety to the organization. I would just hope they make other moves to go along with his acquisition. We’ll see.

If the Suns add Chris Paul and do not add a starting power forward, they have only gone half way.

Reactions: Rab

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right now NBA Draft Room has us taking Haliburton at #10, if he's there then fine if not you have to consider trading down from #10 and look at Terry or Lewis as they are the next best available PG's in draft. Terry is starting to grow on me because of his shooting and the fact that he can play off ball and the experience of running with the second unit off the bench until Rubio's deal expires would help him transition into the starting PG role. He just has to work on continuing to get stronger which he has already begun doing this offseason adding 20 pounds of muscle to his frame.

I think it's almost universally a mistake to draft for need in the NBA.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I basically agree with this approach.

I have no problem with trading Oubre and Rubio for Chris Paul if OKC pay the price of taking over Paul's contract and killing our cap flexibility completely in the next 2 years.

Demanding from the Suns to add more to the Oubre, Rubio for Paul swap is a total nonsense, IMO.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
If the Suns make this trade and ship out Rubio and Kelly for CP3.

Draft Lewis at 10 to become PG of the future with mentorship from a hall of fame PG.

With the Celtics having 2 1st rd picks will Ty Jerome and the Suns 2021 1st rd pick be good enough a deal for the 14th pick this year.

With the 14th pick draft Jalen Smith if he is still on the board.
If Smith, not their draft Vernon Carey.
Carey can play back up C and PF.

He has a big body and can score in the post also runs the floor.

A bench with

PG Paul/Kira/Carter

SG Booker/Cam P/Carter

SF Mikal/Cam J

PF Free Agent/Dario/Smith or Carey

C Ayton/Dario/Smith or Carey.

Looks like 50 to 60 points of the bench with 2 to 4 players averaging double digits in points.

The starters will have two 20 ppg players Booker and Ayton.
Paul and Bridges in mid or high teens.

If the Suns can get 75 pts from the starters and 50 from the bench.
With that amount of scoring, I think they will be at least the 6th seed.

When Paul comes off the books in two years Suns will still have a young core with
playoff experience ready to fill in a few spots and contend for a ring.

PG Kira/Carter
SG Booker
SF Bridges/Cam J
PF Smith/Carey/Cam J
C Ayton

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns make this trade and ship out Rubio and Kelly for CP3.

Draft Lewis at 10 to become PG of the future with mentorship from a hall of fame PG.

With the Celtics having 2 1st rd picks will Ty Jerome and the Suns 2021 1st rd pick be good enough a deal for the 14th pick this year.

With the 14th pick draft Jalen Smith if he is still on the board.
If Smith, not their draft Vernon Carey.
Carey can play back up C and PF.

He has a big body and can score in the post also runs the floor.

A bench with

PG Paul/Kira/Carter

SG Booker/Cam P/Carter

SF Mikal/Cam J

PF Free Agent/Dario/Smith or Carey

C Ayton/Dario/Smith or Carey.

Looks like 50 to 60 points of the bench with 2 to 4 players averaging double digits in points.

The starters will have two 20 ppg players Booker and Ayton.
Paul and Bridges in mid or high teens.

If the Suns can get 75 pts from the starters and 50 from the bench.
With that amount of scoring, I think they will be at least the 6th seed.

When Paul comes off the books in two years Suns will still have a young core with
playoff experience ready to fill in a few spots and contend for a ring.

PG Kira/Carter
SG Booker
SF Bridges/Cam J
PF Smith/Carey/Cam J
C Ayton

I like your thought process but I doubt the Celtics make that trade for #14 especially with Ty Jerome included.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
I like your thought process but I doubt the Celtics make that trade for #14 especially with Ty Jerome included.

I am all for the Suns 2021 1st rd pick and two future 2nd round picks and the Suns keep Ty for the 14th. I am ok with any team that will take the deal as long as Smith or Carey is on the board.

Suns are entering the stage where they will pick in the late teens at best not often will rookies picked in those spots make an impact.

If they skip a year with the 2021 1st rd pick and a few years of 2nd rd picks I doubt it affects the progress or youth of the team.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Way to get personal.
Personal? This is a debate with differing opinions, nothing more friend.

Paul and Gallo were their best and second best players and Gallo will be gone. Otherwise they are a 27 year old limited offense good defense center, a 27 year old 6th man and SGA.
With Gallinari's contract off the books they get relief they would be looking for in a Paul deal. If they bring him back then they have the same roster that made the playoffs. Why should PHX aid in their rebuild giving up 2 starters and a draft pick most likely? PHX has the leverage here as OKC apparently needs to move Paul, so why should PHX give up so much?

what makes you think we're going to be able to go out and score a big time FA... especially in a FA class that seemingly has none?

PHX was a POR loss away... after a miracle 8-0 winning streak, in a bubble against some teams who had totally packed it in for the bubble (or year) and in a year where the Blazers had massive injuries AND the Warriors basically punted on the season.

I thoroughly enjoyed the bubble run, but we all can see now that at least a little of that was fool's gold as we kept playing teams who were resting almost entire starting lineups the last four games of that run, no?

hehe. I've got no major argument against this part. i see the positives and negatives involved.
They don't have to sign a big time FA this year, they can either save the space for next year or trade Paul to a contender, PHX isn't the only trade option for them. If we add a FA like Ibaka to solidify the PF spot and draft picks like Haliburton and say Jalen Smith and they make an impact as rookies then I think we could make the playoffs. I don't see Chris Paul as an upgrade over Rubio/Oubre/#10/Ibaka/cap space.

I think it's almost universally a mistake to draft for need in the NBA.
In a draft like this were level of talent is so close to each other in terms of grade then chances are your need will match BPA. Haliburton is easily a Top 10 guy, Tyrell Terry's stock is on rise. Any number of players could be justified being taken at #10 that could fill a need for PHX.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am all for the Suns 2021 1st rd pick and two future 2nd round picks and the Suns keep Ty for the 14th. I am ok with any team that will take the deal as long as Smith or Carey is on the board.

Suns are entering the stage where they will pick in the late teens at best not often will rookies picked in those spots make an impact.

If they skip a year with the 2021 1st rd pick and a few years of 2nd rd picks I doubt it affects the progress or youth of the team.

I'm not for trading future draft picks. The 2021 draft is supposed to be good draft and the 2022 draft is a “Double Draft.”

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Personal? This is a debate with differing opinions, nothing more friend.

Here's what you said:

Why is it that your opinion is "reasonable," and mine is not?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it doesn't at this point, which is fine...as long as we get our starting power forward, the #10 pick isn't wasted on someone like Bane or Terry, and Booker isn't frustrated.

I'm pretty sure it does happen at this point.

If it doesn't you piss off Devin, you piss off Chris Paul which is not good for your rep with most NBA players, and you have Rubio and Oubre that aren't exactly happy you were ready to ship them out.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would be thrilled with Haliburton at 10. Unless we come away with another first round pick, Terry is way too risky of a pick, in my opinion, considering how utterly unproductive he has been in actual games against real competition.

I see no way Haliburton makes it to 10. He is basically the safest pick in the whole lottery, hard to believe 9 teams in front of us pass that up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose