ILB is a huge need even if Simmons blossoms into a Star

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Or you can try to have an elite pass rush and just play big people in the middle. That way the QB can’t exploit your big guys because the pass rush doesn’t give them time to.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ASU LB Merlin Robertson would be a great addition. Right in our own back yard, dude has been heart of ASU defense since he set foot in Tempe. Great size at 6'3 250, can run and has got the production and hardware (Pac-12 Freshman DPOY, Nagurski and Bednarik watch list as SO).

A couple of other guys to keep an eye on:

Jahad White - WSU - Smaller ILB but probably one of the fastest in this years draft. Speed allows him to always be around the ball, not going to thump you with power but gets ball carriers to the ground.

Colin Schooler - TTU - Had a solid 2 years in Tucson (FR All-American). Another smallish LB (6'1 230) but can play both the run and the pass.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Yeah. CB CB OLB ILB DE, in that order until FA changes it. (Cardinals need to figure out Peterson, Chandler's contract, Golden, Reddick , and Campbell).

CB will be interesting because of talent level (or lack thereof) in FA and the draft.
The CB pool is decent but the Cards May pick so low the options may be limited.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Do you guys have faith in Golden to stick and make an impact at OLB?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I did a completely pointless mock draft just to see who might fall to us, with the intention of double dipping at corner and taking an Edge too.

I came away with,

1. Jaycee Horn, CB
2. Hamilcar Rashed Jr, Edge
3. Jaelen Philips, Edge
5. Master Teague, RB

I tried one and drafted just for best value at positions we could need:

Round 1: Trey Smith, OG, Tennessee
Round 2: Kwity Paye, DE/OLB, Michigan
Round 3: Derion Kendrick, CB, Clemson
Round 5: DeAngelo Malone, DE/OLB, Western Kentucky
Round 7: Tariq Castro-Fields, CB, Penn State

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
IMO, CB is our biggest need, and I'd be happy with two of them in the first three rounds.
The only problem I have with that is that it seems to take CBs a couple years to adjust and I feel like we could already be starting a window with Kyler. Maybe spend FA money on one of those picks .

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only problem I have with that is that it seems to take CBs a couple years to adjust and I feel like we could already be starting a window with Kyler. Maybe spend FA money on one of those picks .

This is true. I thought Jeff Okudah looked NFL ready but he's been poor. CJ Henderson has been average at best. The problem is CB FA is bad next year.

I guess it's all about scheme fit. CB's come in many shapes and sizes. Vance seems to want rangy guys who are bigger, good in man who can press at the LOS. Or so the word is. Jaycee Horn fits that role but if they miss on him I'm not sure who else will be there at the back half or round 1.

From what I know, Shaun Wade is more a slot guy. Eric Stokes possibly as a back end round 1 guy? That's the only other option I can think of assuming Farley and Surtain are off early.

Sadly, this is where you need great scouting. Which we don't have.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ASU LB Merlin Robertson would be a great addition. Right in our own back yard, dude has been heart of ASU defense since he set foot in Tempe. Great size at 6'3 250, can run and has got the production and hardware (Pac-12 Freshman DPOY, Nagurski and Bednarik watch list as SO).

A couple of other guys to keep an eye on:

Jahad White - WSU - Smaller ILB but probably one of the fastest in this years draft. Speed allows him to always be around the ball, not going to thump you with power but gets ball carriers to the ground.

Colin Schooler - TTU - Had a solid 2 years in Tucson (FR All-American). Another smallish LB (6'1 230) but can play both the run and the pass.

Colin Schooler says hi

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can only point to Patrick Peterson (and I know he was a high 1st round pick) as a CB who was pretty good early on. And I'm guessing that there are others. But if we have to wait a year for a CB to develop, I could live with that. Byron Murphy looks a lot better in his second year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can only point to Patrick Peterson (and I know he was a high 1st round pick) as a CB who was pretty good early on. And I'm guessing that there are others. But if we have to wait a year for a CB to develop, I could live with that. Byron Murphy looks a lot better in his second year.

Not many play well 1st year. Last one was probably Denzel Ward in 2018. Before that Lattimore and Humphrey in 2017. In fact 2017 was the last class where there were multiple good CB's in year 1 with Tre White too.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The CB pool is decent but the Cards May pick so low the options may be limited.
I probably misspoke. I think Caleb Farley VTech, Surtain (Alabama) and Jaycee Horn (South Carolina) are all gone by the time we pick in round 1. I think Shaun Wade is too similar to Byron Murphy to really consider him unless Murphy shows significant growth outside over the rest of the year. That leaves us looking at the Georgia CBs who I don't have a great feel for and maybe Asante Samuel Jr...

You could see a size/speed project jump up. Someone like Derion Kendrick (Clemson) or Isreal Mukuamu (South Carolina).

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My guess is that the additions of Amukamara and Jonathan Joseph are to give us some vet options to look at and potentially extend if they look like they fit. That all depends on Vance staying and honestly, I think that is still up in the air. Defense has allowed 30+ the past two weeks and I don't see it changing this week or next.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let see if he makes some changes or is just too stubborn and stupid to do it
Something has to be done, the defense is just garbage

Tallejo and Simmons starting

I'm pretty sure if they use this duo the defense could look much better

Ah, and Gardeck should get some snaps on the outside
It showed he can do it but then the genius coach decide to not use him

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My guess is that the additions of Amukamara and Jonathan Joseph are to give us some vet options to look at and potentially extend if they look like they fit. That all depends on Vance staying and honestly, I think that is still up in the air. Defense has allowed 30+ the past two weeks and I don't see it changing this week or next.

Amukamara is still in the practice squad, it's mean he isn't ready, so count him as addition its a stretch

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Amukamara is still in the practice squad, it's mean he isn't ready, so count him as addition its a stretch
My point is more about having guys in the building, working out, practicing, and just seeing how they fit. Less about on the field because they are vets and you kinda know what you are getting at this point.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My point is more about having guys in the building, working out, practicing, and just seeing how they fit. Less about on the field because they are vets and you kinda know what you are getting at this point.

Right point, I don't say there is a solution but he needs to find some way, trying some new ones, cause if he keeps the same stuff going nothing will change

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave