How do you deal with a Card's Loss?

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It’s just a football game. There are so many real things to depress about. That said, GBR!

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I usually read Mitch’s ridiculous reasons about why we lost. This week is because Hopkins doesn’t practice on Wednesdays
It's so ridiculous. They even mention in an article that Kyler was sending DHop a message by DHop not having any catches in the 1st half. They specifically said he didn't throw to him in the first half, but that's not true.

Reaction score
I learned my lesson along time ago. Not just with the Cardinals but all teams that I follow. It sucks when they lose but it doesn’t change anything about my day. Life goes on and so do the responsibilities that come with it. Especially when you have 8 year old twins lol

As a lifelong Cubs fan I've learned to lose a long time ago. ;)

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I used to be the absolute worst. Temper tantrums and the like. So much broken stuff it's not even funny. The years have mellowed me but have not made it any easier to take. I stew for days when I'm alone with my thoughts, but never let it effect how I treat other people. The drinking definitely plays a huge roll. I have drank on game days as long as I have been an adult (mostly heavily) and the come down after a loss is always the worst. I turn all sports off, shut my phone off, and usually pass out on the couch. I wake up feeling like an abused spouse. Sore, disoriented, and sad. Come to think of it, the wins are the same, except I wake up sore, disoriented and ecstatic. :D

Most of the time, watching a movie with my wife or playing Playstation gets me through the initial anger, but it takes me until at least Wednesday before I can listen to any sports. I really do take it hard, and that will never change. I wish I could say it was different, but a Cardinal loss is unlike any other in my sports world.

I watched the game with my neighbor who's a Dolphins fan. Big mistake. He's not a big drinker, and his fandom is about half of what mine is. He kept commenting on what the Cards were doing wrong and it irritated me to no end, all while I'm on my 4th or 5th Whiskey and ginger ale. I was ready to toss him by the 3rd quarter. Losing to a fan of a team you see only every 3 years is damn near unbearable.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to be the absolute worst. Temper tantrums and the like. So much broken stuff it's not even funny. The years have mellowed me but have not made it any easier to take. I stew for days when I'm alone with my thoughts, but never let it effect how I treat other people. The drinking definitely plays a huge roll. I have drank on game days as long as I have been an adult (mostly heavily) and the come down after a loss is always the worst. I turn all sports off, shut my phone off, and usually pass out on the couch. I wake up feeling like an abused spouse. Sore, disoriented, and sad. Come to think of it, the wins are the same, except I wake up sore, disoriented and ecstatic. :D

Most of the time, watching a movie with my wife or playing Playstation gets me through the initial anger, but it takes me until at least Wednesday before I can listen to any sports. I really do take it hard, and that will never change. I wish I could say it was different, but a Cardinal loss is unlike any other in my sports world.

I watched the game with my neighbor who's a Dolphins fan. Big mistake. He's not a big drinker, and his fandom is about half of what mine is. He kept commenting on what the Cards were doing wrong and it irritated me to no end, all while I'm on my 4th or 5th Whiskey and ginger ale. I was ready to toss him by the 3rd quarter. Losing to a fan of a team you see only every 3 years is damn near unbearable.
Crown and ginger is the best

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
I avoid the media, but will will watch a another game if its a rival or team I hate getting a beat down. Like the New Orleans destruction of the Bucs Sunday.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to get much more upset than I do now. It was really hard for me to deal with a loss when we weren't competitive. Now that we have been competitive in almost every game and we are exciting to watch, I don't get that upset anymore.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I cuss, kick a pillow, pound a desk or table. Stew for about 30 mintues and move on.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to get in arguments on this board in it's various manifestations. I probably haven't done that for a good 10 years, or more.

Now, I turn it off. Say, a bad word, and move on. I avoid Cardinals news or talk until Wednesday. Then, it's time for the next game.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I usually read Mitch’s ridiculous reasons about why we lost. This week is because Hopkins doesn’t practice on Wednesdays
The guy just is an agitator. He's more about himself than anything else. Majority of what he writes is just BS

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Cardinals lose I look for an immediate distraction while the fire slowly simmers. It's not that the distraction takes away the pain, it allows time to digest it.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This post is going up for BritCard (and all the other Card fans who suffer to the extreme when we lose). BritCard made a recent comment that he was up until 3am and unable to sleep after our Miami loss. So, what do you do to deal with a Card Loss?

My advice is both a warning and a coping technique. I have the armor that comes from a lifetime of being a victim of abuse and shattered hopes. I usually shrug off a defeat as just one more slap for being a fan of the Cards—and get back in line for the next game. If you’re a Cards fan, it helps to be a masochist.
I concur!

[emoji2936]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I concur!

[emoji2936]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You certainly picked the right screen name.
"Please sir, may I have another."

Question for the masochist:
"Why do you stay close with your sadistic friend?"
"Beats me."

Last edited:
OP
OP
GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Great response as we all gather on the 50-yard line for our therapy session.

Got to believe there are better days on the horizon. We can all assign KM the duty to be miserable when we lose. At his press meeting after the Miami game, he was so pizzed he could barely speak. Combine that with his talent and there are plenty of wins in the very near future. Fitz was on the local news and mentioned that all the great players he has been around have the same reaction to loss.

After I posted the question, I did a web search for the phrase "How to Cope when your Favorite Team Loses"

https://www.wikihow.com/Cope-when-Your-Favorite-Sports-Team-Loses

Some of the answers provided match the forum comments. I guess we ain't as dumb as we sound. Maybe.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Felt worse after the Lions game because Kyler blew it. The game called into question Kyler's decision making/throwing on the run, etc.

Dolphins loss was easier to take cause I think its widely accepted Brian Flores is a better coach. Helped that Kyler/Kliff still executed at a high level against that team so we're still capable of doing good things.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Great response as we all gather on the 50-yard line for our therapy session.

Got to believe there are better days on the horizon. We can all assign KM the duty to be miserable when we lose. At his press meeting after the Miami game, he was so pizzed he could barely speak. Combine that with his talent and there are plenty of wins in the very near future. Fitz was on the local news and mentioned that all the great players he has been around have the same reaction to loss.

After I posted the question, I did a web search for the phrase "How to Cope when your Favorite Team Loses"

https://www.wikihow.com/Cope-when-Your-Favorite-Sports-Team-Loses

Some of the answers provided match the forum comments. I guess we ain't as dumb as we sound. Maybe.
Yesterday he said he was going to try to be better at being positive and optimistic. So I think he'll work on it.