Looking Ahead to Buffalo

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I feel like we (maybe just me?) are really underestimating Josh Allen and his scrambling ability. He is pretty elusive for a big dude and he has improved his mechanics/accuracy tremendously since his rookie year. I for one thought he was going to be a bust due to inaccuracy issues (a la Derek Anderson) but he is carving a sweet niche in his time with Buffalo.

We'll need to put up 50 pts to win this one since our D looked putrid against a rookie in his second game last week...

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bills interior oline pretty banged up as expected after . Hawks managed to get 7 sacks last week cause of that.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think this is a game where we need to play a combination of having our larger corners jam smoke and diggs at the line (otherwise what good is their size advantage) and drop into zone with deep safeties. This would be a game where having a speedy, rangy ILB (like Simmons) playing well would make a tremendous difference. If they could take away the middle of the field and also spy Allen it would make a tremendous difference If Simmons were up to speed this would be a game where hicks wouldn’t see much time imo. But that’s not happening.

Do you think Joseph makes an appearance at CB?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well, I have to admit they looked awesome last week against Seattle. They seem like a team that gets up for big games. Don't know if they will consider a game with us a big game though.

I feel about 50/50 on this game.
West Coast trip looked like it was clearly hurting Seattle early in that game. Even the offense looked out of sync.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we don’t pressure Allen, he will beat us.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Bills defense is currently ranked 26th in the league, unless we have crazy turnovers on offense, I really don't see a scenario where we don't score at least 30. Having said that, the Bills offense is very good & we will have trouble with Beasley, Diggs & Brown. Basically they will score at least 30 on us imo, hope I'm wrong. The last spread I saw was us favored by -1. That may have changed by now though?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only zone team Kyler struggled with was Carolina and thats mostly due to the over correct on Kliffs part.

Kyler is going to rip the Bills apart.

I am not worried about him and the offense.

I am worried about Kliff throwing another game away with bat late game play calling and the Vance Joseph Special.

The Bills defense is not what it was. The Dolphins defense is better and outside of the fumble, Kyler was too much for them.

Lions played a bunch of zone

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this is a game where we need to play a combination of having our larger corners jam smoke and diggs at the line (otherwise what good is their size advantage) and drop into zone with deep safeties. This would be a game where having a speedy, rangy ILB (like Simmons) playing well would make a tremendous difference. If they could take away the middle of the field and also spy Allen it would make a tremendous difference If Simmons were up to speed this would be a game where hicks wouldn’t see much time imo. But that’s not happening.

This sounds like a game plan. Which we don't do apparently.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I feel like we (maybe just me?) are really underestimating Josh Allen and his scrambling ability. He is pretty elusive for a big dude and he has improved his mechanics/accuracy tremendously since his rookie year. I for one thought he was going to be a bust due to inaccuracy issues (a la Derek Anderson) but he is carving a sweet niche in his time with Buffalo.

We'll need to put up 50 pts to win this one since our D looked putrid against a rookie in his second game last week...

Josh Allen is a poor man's Lamar Jackson, meaning even a poor version is pretty rich compared to other QBs with how this style of QB can affect a game. I agree, we are going to have to score often to win

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This game is about as close a matchup as it gets.

'Lineups' has the Bills team Ranked at 85, Cards Team Rank at 83.

Bills have a terrible Run D and this should be a point of attack for us. It may be difficult if the Bills passing game is hot---temptation to come out of the run game and go toe-to-toe by passing. Bills have a better passing D and if we do that we stand to lose. Have to stick to the run game and go down the field. That will keep the Bills passing attack on the bench.

Should be another high-scoring battle.

Here for the 'Lineup' stats site (if you don't already have it):
https://www.lineups.com/nfl-team-rankings/defense

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He is pretty elusive for a big dude and he has improved his mechanics/accuracy tremendously since his rookie year. I for one thought he was going to be a bust due to inaccuracy issues (a la Derek Anderson) but he is carving a sweet niche in his time with Buffalo.

I also thought Allen was another 'Derek Anderson' with the big but inaccurate arm. Kudos to him and his coaching staff for getting his mechanics squared away. He has some pocket awareness and the ability to move and can shed tacklers and make a play. It will be a good contrast to see him go up against KM.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I think a few things will be apparent pretty quickly on Sunday.

1. The Bills are better than the Dolphins.
2. Allen is better than Tua.
3. They are going to be SUPER pass happy. Before last week they were the 2nd most pass happy team in the NFL.
4. Our CB's are going to get crushed by the Bills WR's. Diggs is a horrible matchup for Pat P (ala E. Sanders)

If we win, it will because we once again played over our ski's like the Seahawks game. 3rd down defense, our pass rush allowing Allen to make some mistakes, and Kyler being Kyler.

This game will be in the 30's. And Allen will pass & run all over us if we don't contain him.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The Cards can be in this thing if a couple of things happen. First the Cards defense needs to play more physically than they have recently. They need to blitz but stay in their lanes and not let Allen run all over. He’s very dangerous when throwing on the run. They can’t let him pull up and reset. I’m not worried about flags in the secondary they must be as physical as the refs will allow.

On offense the Cards need to play a clean game. I expect Buffalo to play a zone and try to eliminate running lanes. Murray will have to win with his arm. He needs to use good ball, like PP complimented Tua for doing. He needs to understand if Fitz and Hopkins are single covered let them make the play. He has to trust them more than he has been. That’s why they are stars. They needs to get the ball to Edmonds on short throws to slow the pass rush. No more of those dumb wide receiver screens. Murray needs to use his tight ends more. Controlled aggressiveness is the key.

Finally KK needs to know it takes him to be a better gameday coach. I’m sure he’s fine at Xs & Os but he’s got to call a better game and understand game situations better. He must be consistent on how much he trusts his people. If what we’ve seen is the best he’s got he’s not good enough to take this team & it’s QB to the next level. He must grow. Like the old saying about a bicycle. It’s either moving forward or falling over.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Budda Baker out of practice with injury for second day today. Can't pretend I'm not worried. Groin injury has kept Jamal Adams out for months and our defense turns into the worst in the league without Baker.

Keep in mind I'm just panicking and he might be fine Sunday.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Josh Allen is a poor man's Lamar Jackson, meaning even a poor version is pretty rich compared to other QBs with how this style of QB can affect a game. I agree, we are going to have to score often to win

I think Josh Allen is a much better passer than Jackson, and this season he has been the better QB.

Yes, we are going to have to score 30+ and probably need a turnover or 2.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I think Josh Allen is a much better passer than Jackson, and this season he has been the better QB.

Much better passer. In a more pass happy offense. With much better weapons on the outside. Allen and Lamar isn't even a debate this year. He will still throw some howlers but the kid has worked really hard to become a better QB.

I really think Josh Allen is turning in to a less-rapey version of Big Ben.

His Comp %, passing yards, passing TD's (by 3), INT's (by 2) and yards per attempt are all better than Kyler this year. He's already played 9 games to Kyler's 8 so at worst.... it's a wash in the passing TD column.

In short..... Prepare to be EXTREMELY frustrated on Sunday. I believe we will need a herculean effort on offense, and some mistakes by the Buffalo offense to win.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Much better passer. In a more pass happy offense. With much better weapons on the outside. Allen and Lamar isn't even a debate this year. He will still throw some howlers but the kid has worked really hard to become a better QB.

I really think Josh Allen is turning in to a less-rapey version of Big Ben.

His Comp %, passing yards, passing TD's (by 3), INT's (by 2) and yards per attempt are all better than Kyler this year. He's already played 9 games to Kyler's 8 so at worst.... it's a wash in the passing TD column.

In short..... Prepare to be EXTREMELY frustrated on Sunday. I believe we will need a herculean effort on offense, and some mistakes by the Buffalo offense to win.
I would hope it's more like a completely "non-rapey" version of Big Ben.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I think Josh might have a lil' more 'touch' ability on his passes but they are about the same as a passer with Lamar being more athletic with his superior speed as a physical runner... I would still take Kyler over both of them as a franchise QB :)

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think Josh might have a lil' more 'touch' ability on his passes but they are about the same as a passer with Lamar being more athletic with his superior speed as a physical runner... I would still take Kyler over both of them as a franchise QB :)

Actually, SK did take KM over both LJ and JA. We passed on LJ when we took Rosen, passed on JA when we took KM. Now, those decisions will be something to chew on as the careers of the three play out.

***Correction*** Thank you cardncubfan for calling out my mistake. We passed on LJ when we took Rosen. JA was already off the board before we picked Rosen. KM came to us in the next draft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_NFL_Draft

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure I have the words right but -

The Bills (mainly on defense) looked bigger, tougher and stronger than we did from sideline to sideline.

All they need to do is leverage that advantage and wear us down physically.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The D Line is in trouble. No Phillips again at practice, no Fotu. Lawrence & Allen are still on IR. Yikes.