Coffee Talk

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Super late to this convo.

At home, we have a Keurig dual model - it makes individual cups and also has a traditional 12 cup pot. Which is nice depending on whether Ms. LVG and I are WFH.

The individual cups are Sams Club Standard. The grounds are Peet's Major Dickenson blend.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made the first cup this morning. It was good. First time using the reuseable K-Cup so have to play with proportion s
I've heard that some people put some turbinado sugar on top of the coffee in the reusable cup and it tastes really good

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@puckhead and @Dback Jon so, how bad was it??

:lol: It is a little darker than what I'm used to, but it's not bad at all. I used my hand grinder because the wife had recently filled the hopper on our electric grinder. I think I can get a better cup if it's done through there and get a better crema out of it. So, I'll follow up once I do that.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:lol: It is a little darker than what I'm used to, but it's not bad at all. I used my hand grinder because the wife had recently filled the hopper on our electric grinder. I think I can get a better cup if it's done through there and get a better crema out of it. So, I'll follow up once I do that.
That batch that you gave me was really good, a little lighter than I am used to, but very good nonetheless. :biglaugh:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I received an early version of the Keurig 2.0 a number of years ago. You could do individual cups or carafes out of it.

I'm the only regular coffee drinker in the house.

I really don't like the waste of k-cups, so I found both a regular and carafe reusable pod.

This spring they both died. I ordered another set and they didn't work either.

Cleaned the machine and it just wouldn't recognize anything other than the Keurig branded cups

So I broke out my little 4 pot drip brewer. My daughter actually started to make me morning coffee with it.

I just switched over to my new setup.

I picked up a scale, electric gooseneck kettle and Cuisinart flat but burr grinder.

For brewing I settled on the Hario V60 pour over

I used roasts from Cultivate Coffee in Sunnyslope

Definitely some trial and error. Different grind sizes and water temps dependent on the roast.

Was surprised at how acidic the Ethiopian came out.

I think their Mexican is good and they have a blended bag that is good as well.

I was out this morning so I ran to bashas and grabbed a bag of Caribou beans - definitely a bit more harsh

Was difficult to figure out what to settle on. I like espresso more than espresso drinks and the bulk of my coffee is consumed black and hot.

I may add a moka pot and cold brew device for variety

Need to experiment with more coffee now that I have a system that will pull out more flavors - for better or worse

My first introduction to Kona was in college when my roommate came back from Hawaii with a bag of chocolate covered Kona beans. I have a sweet tooth and lack of self control.

I may have are the whole package and spent the next but as a jittery, but contented, mess

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
@jf-08

So scientific. I should go hide with my $20 coffee maker. :blush:

No kidding! That's impressive.

I grew up with coffee in a latino household, so we joke that kids are fed coffee and milk in a bottle, lol.

I always use arabica coffee and a french press - that's it. I do like the Kona (pricey!) and also like the Tanzania Peaberry from Safeway which is a bit fruity.

During the summer I've been doing cold brew - love it!

Last edited:

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
What do you do for coffee when on vacation? My wife brings her mini keurig machine, but that stuff tastes like water to me.

I bring Starbucks VIAs, but I've read a lot about the high level of acrylamide in instant coffee.

I travel with my french press and an electric kettle. Has been a lifesaver the past summers that I've worked in Yellowstone, since employee cafeteria coffee is horrible.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you do for coffee when on vacation? My wife brings her mini keurig machine, but that stuff tastes like water to me.

I bring Starbucks VIAs, but I've read a lot about the high level of acrylamide in instant coffee.
Get an Aeropress. It's easy to transport and you can use tap water with it.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

• You must be registered for see images attach
I posted a picture of my little coffee setup, but I don't think it's working? (I'll try again) I also wrote a long rambling post, but I think it disappeared, too?

Oh, well. Nice Gene Cafe. My roaster is the Behmor 1600 (getting old, like me), which replaced an air popcorn popper years ago. You need fresh roasted beans for good tasting coffee.
I'm sorry, I don't think Star Bucks (*$) makes good coffee. They make good coffee flavored drinks.

My tastes have changed since i have gotten old. Where before, I always drank black coffee/espresso (still do occasionally), now I like a cold brew with milk instead of water mixed with the concentrate.

A couple of web sites to learn more about roasting and espresso are:

Home-barista (coffee espresso forum like this one)
And
Sweet Maria's (commercial seller of coffee and some equipment, but a lot of information about coffee roasting, etc.).
:):D

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Agreed.

I've heard about using air poppers due roasting, but will keep mine pointed towards popcorn for now

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

• You must be registered for see images attach
I posted a picture of my little coffee setup, but I don't think it's working? (I'll try again) I also wrote a long rambling post, but I think it disappeared, too?

Oh, well. Nice Gene Cafe. My roaster is the Behmor 1600 (getting old, like me), which replaced an air popcorn popper years ago. You need fresh roasted beans for good tasting coffee.
I'm sorry, I don't think Star Bucks (*$) makes good coffee. They make good coffee flavored drinks.

My tastes have changed since i have gotten old. Where before, I always drank black coffee/espresso (still do occasionally), now I like a cold brew with milk instead of water mixed with the concentrate.

A couple of web sites to learn more about roasting and espresso are:

Home-barista (coffee espresso forum like this one)
And
Sweet Maria's (commercial seller of coffee and some equipment, but a lot of information about coffee roasting, etc.).
:):D

Great set up!!

Sweet Maria's is a great site. Are you in any Coffee Roasters Groups on FB?

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made the first cup this morning. It was good. First time using the reuseable K-Cup so have to play with proportion s

We moved to reusable K-cups a while ago. It's really easy now that we got the measurements down and are used to it.

Had some pumpkin spice coffee that Chris bought this morning. I'm more of a regular coffee gal, but I wanted to feel festive today with it being September 1st and all.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Great set up!!

Sweet Maria's is a great site. Are you in any Coffee Roasters Groups on FB?

No, I have never ever done face book or any of the other social media like twitter, etc.

In the home barista site, I have gotten together with a group of people a couple of times over the years. Ten or twelve or so would meet at one of the little coffee shops in Scottsdale (Cartels (?) Can't remember names anymore, sorry). We had one big nice meeting at one of the guys house just outside of Tucson one year. That was a really nice get together and people brought a lot of different coffee equipment to try.

But, I haven't done anything like that in 4 or 5 years or so. I don't know if they still do that much now, or not. But, all very enjoyable get togethers.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just read through this, so I thought I'd bump it. I have a Ninja coffee maker--I keep it in my home office with all my coffees. I'm more of a "the less it tastes like coffee, the more I like it" kind of gal, so I have a pretty good assortment of flavored coffees and syrups at my disposal. Once I get a mini fridge in here, I'll keep the creamers in here, too :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it a lot--the filter is reusable, you can select the size of the cup you're using, the accompanying scoop tells you how many to use for each size, etc. Has some custom brew types (classic, rich, over ice). It's pretty good!

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just an FYI to all coffee drinkers. I had Maxwell House for the first time in my life, and I can say it was the absolute worst tasting crap I have ever experienced. I'm a novice coffee drinker (just started about 6 years ago) and have been lucky to have had fair to excellent in my life. If I had Maxwell the first time I tried coffee, I think I would have opted out. Are all the similar brands this bad? Folgers, Sanka, etc...

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't had Maxwell House. Folger's isn't too bad in a pinch, especially if you get the dark roast

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI to all coffee drinkers. I had Maxwell House for the first time in my life, and I can say it was the absolute worst tasting crap I have ever experienced. I'm a novice coffee drinker (just started about 6 years ago) and have been lucky to have had fair to excellent in my life. If I had Maxwell the first time I tried coffee, I think I would have opted out. Are all the similar brands this bad? Folgers, Sanka, etc...
If for some reason I have to get commercial coffee, I get Lavazza or Jose's Coffee.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If for some reason I have to get commercial coffee, I get Lavazza or Jose's Coffee.

jf, now I would say that those brands are NOT commercial. Would I be wrong? I'm thinking like the Sankas, Folgers' Tasters Choice type of coffees. Lavazza looks fancy to me. LOL!

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of the major store brands, I think I'd lean towards Folger's dark roast.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson