Suns trade ideas for the fall of 2020

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We still need someone who isn't a major liability in the starting line up at power forward.
Agreed. But I don't see a trade like that rumored. We are talking about Chris Paul because a reporter found out we called about him. I see Paul as an upgrade at PG, and adds another player that can be counted on to take game winning shots. In crunch time that is one more player other teams see as a threat on the floor.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Agreed. But I don't see a trade like that rumored. We are talking about Chris Paul because a reporter found out we called about him. I see Paul as an upgrade at PG, and adds another player that can be counted on to take game winning shots. In crunch time that is one more player other teams see as a threat on the floor.

Indeed, but we still need to be able to grab a rebound and not leave a less-than-reliable Ayton alone on an island inside.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If one wants to back away for a minute it makes some sense.

The Suns have always wanted to add a star to the core of Booker and Ayton.

This may be it even though it's not the star we envisioned.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Jerami Grant isn’t all that. He’s actually pretty similar to Oubre. Only advantage with having him would be a longer contract.

He would 100% be a lateral move, not an improvement.
He would be a change. Swapping offensive creation ability (oubre) for high level defender (grant). So kinda depends what you’re seeking.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns don't want to pay Oubre in 2021-22 they should be able to trade him for a first round pick with no money coming back and use that cap space to acquire players and picks. It's probably the same thing the Thunder is going to do if they do the trade. I'm not sure why they are infatuated with Chris Paul. I think the Suns could better use that money elsewhere.

Here is how I think the Suns view it:

They are not going to pay Oubre and Rubio has only two years left on his contract so both will be gone in two seasons. Adding a third star helps keeps Booker happy and they free cap space when Paul's contract expires after the 2021-22 season.

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting we should just dump him. I was trying to make the point that as bad of an idea as that would be, it would still be better than trading him and Rubio for Chris Paul (IMO).

As for Oubre, I have no idea what we'll do. I'd really like to keep him but we have some redundancy that makes it difficult for us to justify a high salary for someone coming off a serious knee injury. And I have no idea what his trade value is but as a fan favorite and considering how well he fits in with his teammates, he's probably more valuable to us as a player than as a trade asset.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I’d like Paul but his age and contract scare me. He had a good year last year and was able to stay healthy, but you can’t discount his history.

I personally would prefer to leverage their assets in to a 25 year old Gordon, who can shore up the front court with Ayton. He’s your third star and he’s young enough to grow with Book and Ayton. Draft a point guard of the future and you’re set for many years to come.

With that said, I’d be okay with a Paul trade if it helps Book stick around in the immediate future.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jerami Grant isn’t all that. He’s actually pretty similar to Oubre. Only advantage with having him would be a longer contract.

He would 100% be a lateral move, not an improvement.

Yes I know, but the difference is he can play power forward and thus actually fits with our team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be clear, I wasn't suggesting we should just dump him. I was trying to make the point that as bad of an idea as that would be, it would still be better than trading him and Rubio for Chris Paul.

As for Oubre, I have no idea what we'll do. I'd really like to keep him but we have some redundancy that makes it difficult for us to justify a high salary for someone coming off a serious knee injury. And I have no idea what his trade value is but as a fan favorite and considering how well he fits in with his teammates, he's probably more valuable to us as a player than as a trade asset.

I think I understand what you are saying... if the Suns wants to move Oubre there are better options.

IMO, Oubre is minimally worth a first run pick if the Suns want to lose his salary. Of course look what they did with TJ Warren.

The bottom line, the Suns may be trading for a star even if it is not the type of star we anticipated.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
We’re not contending whether it’s CP3 or Rubio/Oubre but I’m a sucker for blockbusters so sign me up...

I agree about Cam being a disaster as a primary PF. I mean how hard are trying to make Ayton’s job defensively? He’s not Hakeem.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I’d like Paul but his age and contract scare me. He had a good year last year and was able to stay healthy, but you can’t discount his history.

I personally would prefer to leverage their assets in to a 25 year old Gordon, who can shore up the front court with Ayton. He’s your third star and he’s young enough to grow with Book and Ayton. Draft a point guard of the future and you’re set for many years to come.

With that said, I’d be okay with a Paul trade if it helps Book stick around in the immediate future.

I like Gordon. What would we have to give up for him?

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
We’re not contending whether it’s CP3 or Rubio/Oubre but I’m a sucker for blockbusters so sign me up...

I agree about Cam being a disaster as a primary PF. I mean how hard are trying to make Ayton’s job defensively? He’s not Hakeem.

We're not contending with the current roster.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather give up oubre and rubio for two years of Chris Paul

The Suns can say they swung for the fences if everything goes South.

If Ayton develops into a star this coming season there you go.

Three stars (Booker, Paul and Ayton) should be a playoff team if not more.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brian Windhorst was just on Sportscenter, and he indicated that the Suns could use their cap space to bring in a free agent (Serge Ibaka? Jerami Grant?) and then do the trade for Paul. If the Suns can sign a serviceable starting power forward in free agency, and then pull the trade for Paul where all they give up are Rubio, Oubre and maybe filler like Kaminsky, Okobo and/or Jerome, while keeping the #10 pick, then sign me up.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're not contending with the current roster.

I disagree. I think the roster we have right now, with everyone back, will contend for a playoff spot. It's not a championship contender by any means but the first step is very much in reach IMO if we can keep everyone reasonably healthy and away from the suspended list.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The Suns can say they swung for the fences if everything goes South.

If Ayton develops into a star this coming season there you go.

Three stars (Booker, Paul and Ayton) should be a playoff team if not more.

It’s easily a playoff team and Paul would make Ayton a monster. But damn he’s old and expensive

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 36 yr old Steve Nash led us to the WCF in 2010....just sayin

Sure but compare that to the number of point guards that fell apart by that same age. There's no question CP has been the best point guard of his generation but IMO it's just too great of a risk when you consider his mileage, age, injury history and especially his salary.