15 thoughts - Dolphins game

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're welcome.

You might not remember, but Budda wasn't playing all that great before he came back from his thumb injury. There was quite a few on here that were puzzled by the contract, even while we started the season.

You might as well say Kirk was the best receiver on the field against Miami because he played better than Hopkins.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
You might not remember, but Budda wasn't playing all that great before he came back from his thumb injury. There was quite a few on here that were puzzled by the contract, even while we started the season.

You might as well say Kirk was the best receiver on the field against Miami because he played better than Hopkins.
Poor comparison because I have 7 other games this season to prove that DHop is indeed the better player.

Jones in 5 games this year registered 11 total tackles, 1 sack and 1 fumble recovery. Baker through his first 5 games had 45 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 FF, 1 INT and 1 TFL.

That leaves out the Seattle game where Baker played a great game as well. I just don't have any real evidence that Jones is still the superior player that he was last season.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poor comparison because I have 7 other games this season to prove that DHop is indeed the better player.

Jones in 5 games this year registered 11 total tackles, 1 sack and 1 fumble recovery. Baker through his first 5 games had 45 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 FF, 1 INT and 1 TFL.

That leaves out the Seattle game where Baker played a great game as well. I just don't have any real evidence that Jones is still the superior player that he was last season.

I chose 1 game to prove a point. You are saying that Jones, who won a Defensive Player of the Year award, and has had 60 sacks since his trade, the most in the NFL since isn't as good as Budda based off of a 5 game stint. Just as ridiculous as comparing one game.

Some people have really short memories.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baker has taken his game to a whole other level this season, while Jones looked fairly ineffective before his season ending injury.

I'm thinking at some point while injured Baker watched All the Right Moves and realized Tom Cruise's coach was right, if you play the ball instead of going for the hit all the time, it actually DOES work.

It's pretty incredible the guy who had no INT's all of a sudden is a ball hawk, AND giving us all the other stuff he always did.

Really fun to watch

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I chose 1 game to prove a point. You are saying that Jones, who won a Defensive Player of the Year award, and has had 60 sacks since his trade, the most in the NFL since isn't as good as Budda based off of a 5 game stint. Just as ridiculous as comparing one game.

When you join us in 2020 >>>>

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
When you join us in 2020 >>>>

Jones has never won Defensive Player of the year...

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hate to out myself as against the hivemind, but I don’t put very much blame on VJ at all, I think he’s doing great with the limited personnel he’s working with.

basically all of our position groups on defense suck
This is true and untrue all at the same time. :D

Wanderer

Veteran
Reaction score
Honestly, I think they came out of the bye sloppy and under estimating the Dolphins defense and the defense got bun rushed.

They looked lost from snap 1, like they weren’t expecting that version of Tua to show up.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Honestly, I think they came out of the bye sloppy and under estimating the Dolphins defense and the defense got bun rushed.

They looked lost from snap 1, like they weren’t expecting that version of Tua to show up.

To be fair, Wanderer, nobody expected Tua to have that kind of performance. But on average from the three games before, the Dolphins had the second best scoring margin in the league, with by far the most gained yards per point scored and the second highest points per play.

The Cards obviously knew these things, so I do think they were aware of what their offense were capable of. That is, of course, not ruling out your point that the defense came out sloppy. :)

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gandhi, once again, thanks. In no particular order, and JMO:
#13-DL is hurting. No Lawrence, no Allen and Phillips is hurting. And it's showing.
#1-I still think he's a good kicker, but no doubt that the missed kick played a huge part in the loss.
#16 (mine)-Play calling. On our 4th and inches play late in the game, I was expecting Chris Streveler to sub in and run a quarterback sneak. I expected this because it looked to me that KM took a hit on the 3rd down play. Also, needed more targets for Nuk.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I know Gonzales is getting piled on for the missed kick however did anyone think maybe it was a bad hold? A kicker is striking the lower half of the ball to get it up. Strike the ball too high and you get a line drive. It's not much different than striking a soccer ball. If the holder tilts it a bit too much you get exactly what happened Sunday, a high short kick. There is also the possibility the ball started to slip forward a bit after it was placed which would also have caused the short kick.

it sure looked like there was an issue between he and Andy. It looked like they were having words after the kick was short.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
#16 (mine)-Play calling. On our 4th and inches play late in the game, I was expecting Chris Streveler to sub in and run a quarterback sneak. I expected this because it looked to me that KM took a hit on the 3rd down play. Also, needed more targets for Nuk.

Garth, I am always a little hesitant to complain about playcalling, simply because there is such a small difference between if a play is successful or not, and these are the best playcallers in the world. But having said that, I read somewhere that in the biggest situations, you should let your best player handle the ball – and Kyler Murray is their best player. I think there is some truth to that notion - though I was unaware if he was slightly injured, as you mention.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jordan Phillips has been a disappointment. Decent pass rush the first few games, but terrible run defense all year and is always ailing from something.

Is anyone really surprised by this? This is what happens when you sign one season wonders to above market deals when all their other seasons were trash.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't know if his health has affected his play, but in recent weeks the IR shows him with hamstring problems. And this week as well, unfortunately.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is anyone really surprised by this? This is what happens when you sign one season wonders to above market deals when all their other seasons were trash.

Well, I am surprised, BritCard, and even though I have not done the research I feel pretty sure that there is no historic evidence that player with one year of success will be busts later on.

I am not saying that Jordan Phillips is a bust, by the way. I am just talking about the argument.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, I am surprised, BritCard, and even though I have not done the research I feel pretty sure that there is no historic evidence that player with one year of success will be busts later on.

I am not saying that Jordan Phillips is a bust, by the way. I am just talking about the argument.

All sports are littered with one season wonders. NFL more than most.

I don't know why GM's assume the 3 poor years were the aberration and the 1 good year the norm, when far more often than not it's the other way around.

In the 4 years before his 9.5 sack season last year Philips had 5.5 sacks total. Total!

I think that was always the more realistic measure of his talent than the one good year he had in a very good Bills defense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose