MIA vs ARI - Heroes and Goats (Abbreviated)

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Drake seems to be able to squeeze over the line on those 3rd and 1/4th and 1 situations

Is there a stat for yards you need vs yards you get?

A 1 yard carry on 3rd and 1 is more valuable than a 5 yard carry on 1st and 10 for instance

Morty

Veteran
Reaction score
I am also not jumping off the ledge after yesterdays game.

Kyler made a couple errors.

Kliff made a couple errors.

The refs were pretty bad both ways which made the game tough.

The biggest issue I had was with how Vance prepared his game plan and called it on game day but even that is pretty consistent with what I think of Vance in general.

What I will say is that I feel like I am getting some answers regarding our personnel.

1 - Andy Isabella is a bust. Whatever "it" is, he doesn't have it. Mental game is not there. Physical game is not there. Does not connect with the QB. If he doesn't develop into some kind of decent ST player, he is looking like a cut player or a wasted roster spot.

2 - Christian Kirk is developing some kind of vertical connection with Murray. I would start talking extension with him over any other player on our roster at this point.

3 - Chase is a great situational, low snap playmaker on offense. Keim may have missed the boat not bringing in a larger RB at the trade deadline or throughout this year.

4 - I feel like Jalen Thompson is going to stick. I was amazed how he seemed to be constantly around the ball after being away for so long.

5 - I don't know that I keep Hicks and Campbell on the field together in nickel packages. This is the easiest place to find snaps for Simmons.
Great insights - Good enough post to be a thread!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks K9. We may not agree all the time, but I do respect your perspective.

Kyler is ........ A top 10 player in the NFL now. My opinion of course, but that was an unbelievable display he put on a TOP-TIER defense yesterday. And the contact he was taking was significant IMO. He knew what he was doing and went all out for this team. That was a Super Bowl level effort from K1.

I can't underscore how bad Andy played yesterday.

And finally, our penalties were out of control. Out.... Of..... Control.

i can’t understand why Kliff won’t let Kyler off the leash and just let him sling it. He was throwing dimes all day and we get that HUGE play at the beginning of the missed FG drive and then just shut the offense down.

let that kid throw and WIN the damn game instead of settling for a deep FG.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One of the big penalties on Fotu was not a penalty at all. In fact, he was fouled in the play.
Yes. The announcer pointed it out on tv. So instead of Golden getting credit for a sack Fotu got a penalty when HE was on the RECEIVING end of a face mask penalty.

The Dolphins went onto score a touchdown on that drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i can’t understand why Kliff won’t let Kyler off the leash and just let him sling it. He was throwing dimes all day and we get that HUGE play at the beginning of the missed FG drive and then just shut the offense down.

let that kid throw and WIN the damn game instead of settling for a deep FG.
Doesn’t help that he did & Kyler just underthrew an open Kirk on that 3rd down

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Many of his throws were on point. Definitley not his final throw on the roll out. That was atrocious.

I agree but I think his angle was pinched by the tackle and TE dropping back in pass pro and it made him throw outside a bit more. Still should have made it. But really never should have been in that situation.

I just don't get the 2 runs that came prior to it. We weren't in FG range. The 2 runs put us inside barely but you don't run off clock there when your backup option is a 50 yard FG. Especially when your run game has sucked all night.

For Kliff to put Kyler in a situation where Miami can crowd the line on a crucial 3rd and 1 was just poor. But then Kliff never should have been in that situation either due to poor defense. Giving up 10 points late in the 4th and 31 overall to that offense was garbage.

I thought Kyler overall was fantastic bar a couple of plays.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't disagree that it may very well be his best game, but I think the Miami defense is overrated.

Yes they were near the top in scoring defense, but they were near the bottom in yards.

It was only a matter of time before someone managed to not turn it over too much and make them pay for all the yards they allow.

I agree. Miamis defense had barely a whimper all day. They generated some pressure, but the LBs and secondary were bad.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I agree. Miamis defense had barely a whimper all day. They generated some pressure, but the LBs and secondary were bad.
I saw a tweet on Sunday about the Miami Defense. And since a certain change was made, they were a top 3 defense in almost all categories. I wish I remembered where I saw it, or who sent it.

They are no joke.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I saw a tweet on Sunday about the Miami Defense. And since a certain change was made, they were a top 3 defense in almost all categories. I wish I remembered where I saw it, or who sent it.

They are no joke.

Look at their opponents.

Every good offense has shredded them.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Doesn’t help that he did & Kyler just underthrew an open Kirk on that 3rd down
This is something I feel is understated. Kyler missed a really easy pass to the flat to Kirk. Again, he had a great game, but people talk like Kliff ran backwards. There was a play to be had on 3rd down and Murray came up short.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This is something I feel is understated. Kyler missed a really easy pass to the flat to Kirk. Again, he had a great game, but people talk like Kliff ran backwards. There was a play to be had on 3rd down and Murray came up short.
People want to overlook his shortcomings in the game because the overall body of work was very good, but the mistakes still happened and were part of the outcome.

He hits on that throw or doesn't have a sloppy fumble on the first drive (1 or the other) we may very well be talking about a win right now. Of course the same can be said if the defense just gets like 1 more stop as well.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

People want to overlook his shortcomings in the game because the overall body of work was very good, but the mistakes still happened and were part of the outcome.

He hits on that throw or doesn't have a sloppy fumble on the first drive (1 or the other) we may very well be talking about a win right now. Of course the same can be said if the defense just gets like 1 more stop as well.

Imo this further supports how overreactive Kliff is.

Kyler takes a big hit vs. Seattle he sends in the FG unit.
Kyler misses an easy throw vs. Miami he sends in the FG unit.

The way we slow played that drive I had to believe he was going for it on 4th down assuming Kirk wasnt open, dropped it or Kyler missed it.

Cant overreact every time something does go according to plan.

He'd been great all game throwing/running. I still like my odds of him converting even after the poor throw.

Last edited:

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the play that K2 wants back the most is honestly not fg but the Edmunds run for loss of 6 yards on 2nd & 4 in redzone after we went down 21-14. He was cursing himself out something fierce on sidelines if I remember correctly after that one.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Imo this further supports how overreactive Kliff is.

Kyler takes a big hit vs. Seattle he sends in the FG unit.
Kyler misses an easy throw vs. Miami he sends in the FG unit.

The way we slow played that drive I had to believe he was going for it on 4th down assuming Kirk wasnt open, dropped it or Kyler missed it.

Cant overreact every time something does go according to plan.

He'd great all game throwing/running. I still like my odds of him converting even after the poor throw.
Good call. Didn't even think about the mass hesitancy he has in those situations till now. I've said it before...but you just see the nerves from him on the sideline when the game gets tight. He just has it written all over him in crunch time, imo..

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

And I only make that point to show that Kliff and Kyler both had their moments when they did not execute as they needed to. That is going to happen. They both made mistakes that were critical because the defense got worked.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our lack of quality CB depth gives opposing offenses a roster-hole big enough to drive the proverbial truck thru.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am also not jumping off the ledge after yesterdays game.

Kyler made a couple errors.

Kliff made a couple errors.

The refs were pretty bad both ways which made the game tough.

The biggest issue I had was with how Vance prepared his game plan and called it on game day but even that is pretty consistent with what I think of Vance in general.

What I will say is that I feel like I am getting some answers regarding our personnel.

1 - Andy Isabella is a bust. Whatever "it" is, he doesn't have it. Mental game is not there. Physical game is not there. Does not connect with the QB. If he doesn't develop into some kind of decent ST player, he is looking like a cut player or a wasted roster spot.

2 - Christian Kirk is developing some kind of vertical connection with Murray. I would start talking extension with him over any other player on our roster at this point.

3 - Chase is a great situational, low snap playmaker on offense. Keim may have missed the boat not bringing in a larger RB at the trade deadline or throughout this year.

4 - I feel like Jalen Thompson is going to stick. I was amazed how he seemed to be constantly around the ball after being away for so long.

5 - I don't know that I keep Hicks and Campbell on the field together in nickel packages. This is the easiest place to find snaps for Simmons.
4. Jalen Thompson picked up exactly where he left off last season. The last 4-5 games of 2019 he was constantly around the ball, making tackles. I think he's gonna be a star. Potentially we could have 2 pro bowl safeties.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Your right, he did, but it shouldn't all be on Kyler to be 100% perfect all the time.

The play calls before that were complete trash. You complete a 35 yarder on your first play of the drive to take you into their half, and instead of building on that and gashing them with the pass again (which we did all day), Kliff runs twice as if we are inside chip shot FG range and leaves it all on Kyler to pull off another crucial 3rd down conversion.

He helped Miami out because they knew on the 3rd down we were either making a short pass or a Kyler run. That let the defense stack the LOS to make it tougher anyway.

And even then, when he missed it, we should have gone for the 4th down conversion instead of the FG. 49 yards isn't automatic for one, and our defense were trash all day. Even if we make that FG, chances are Miami goes down the field and kicks a FG of their own to win it. A FG should have been the "break in case of emergency" option.

They after the 35 yarder on 1st down they should have hurried up, kept the Miami D reeling, gained another 20 yards and from there we have a high chance of scoring a TD, and very min and easy FG.

Complete trash from Kliff.

And I'm the one that's been tough on Kyler for his level of play in some games, mostly because there was a high percentage of bad passes or open guys he missed. The Miami game was his best game of the year. Best pro game full stop.

80% completion. 10.9 yards per attempt. 150 passer rating. 3 TDs. 0 INTs. 106 rushing yards at 9.7 per and a rushing TD. An A/YA of 13.19, his previous best was 9.5 vs the trash Jets.

He absolutely destroyed Miami. It was his best game by far, ever. A true MVP class performance.

And we lost, and all we can talk about are the 2 plays he wasn't elite.

When your 100% reliant on your QB being perfect every snap that tells me the rest of the team contributed nothing, so the loss is on them.

Last edited: