Is our team ready (in a position) for Fitz to retire?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
All good things must come to an end and Fitz is near that end.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Part of me thinks there’d be less pressure on everyone having to force balls to the local legend who’s clearly past his prime (I know, blasphemy right?) but my first option is would be bringing him back at a reduced rate. I think with the lower cap and bigger needs on defense the Cards wouldn’t get any flack for playing hardball with Fitz. There’s always the chance he sees the writing on the wall and takes 4-5m.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again pointing out a fact to a question that was asked. Again a ignorant response.

Now calling your response ignorant despite the obviousness of it will get me banned while you continue to offer nothing to the discussion. That is why you have 15 people talking to each other instead of the many that used to contribute.

so is that a yes?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I saw the numbers somewhere and fitz needs about two more seasons to reach #1 on ..... all time catches was it? I think he hangs around two more seasons to get that mark

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this will be Larry's last season. He will have many options on what he will do after his career. He has prepared well for a life after his playing days. IMO he is the greatest Cardinal player of all time. You don't replace Fitz, you get players to fill the position.

Borderrat

Veteran
Reaction score
Question is does Fitz want to come back?

Fitz is obviously set for life. Fitz has numerous off field interests and travels extensively in the off season seeing the world. Seems to enjoy his time away from football.

There was a time when people wondered if Fitz would even retire as a Cardinal. Luckily he will. I would love to have him back. Leadership, knowledge of the league and living the life of a NFL player is enormous.

Obviously not at his current price.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Question is does Fitz want to come back?

Fitz is obviously set for life. Fitz has numerous off field interests and travels extensively in the off season seeing the world. Seems to enjoy his time away from football.

There was a time when people wondered if Fitz would even retire as a Cardinal. Luckily he will. I would love to have him back. Leadership, knowledge of the league and living the life of a NFL player is enormous.

Obviously not at his current price.
I believe he is on record as wanting to stick around to try and win a SB (that is part of the reason he hasn't already retired).

Assuming we don't make a run for a SB this year and he believes we have a real shot at it next year than he may very well stick around for another year.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I believe he is on record as wanting to stick around to try and win a SB (that is part of the reason he hasn't already retired).

Assuming we don't make a run for a SB this year and he believes we have a real shot at it next year than he may very well stick around for another year.

Yes, it would be hard to retire if he feels we are truly on the brink of winning a super bowl, especially win you have never won one.

Also, if you haven't already, and don't mind me asking, would you please respond to a poll in the Political section about what was the main contributor to Biden's victory this week: here is a quick link to this site's other forum section: https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/f...e-defeat-of-donald-trump.376033/#post-4328836

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’m not certain this is Fitz’s last year. First I’d say he is still at least a solid possession receiver. He’s not able to get as open as he once was, but Murray doesn’t seem to get “open” is a relative term when it comes to Fitz. I remember Palmer saying that in his first year he didn’t understand Fitz was open when he was single covered. Fitz is also good at find the holes in zones, which is what the Cards will mostly see. Keep in mind he is rarely the primary target. Since Murray is still learning to use progressions he doesn’t see Fitz as a target as often as more veteran QBs did. Don’t dismiss the value of Fitz’s leadership and game awareness. How many other players have you seen grab a ball with the clock running out and getting it to an official to put the ball in play? That led to a win.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I saw the numbers somewhere and fitz needs about two more seasons to reach #1 on ..... all time catches was it? I think he hangs around two more seasons to get that mark
Love the guy but if he does that and we accommodate that it needs to be for pennies on the dollar if the production isn’t there. With a reduced cap there won’t be room for luxuries at premium $$. I don’t see Fitz as the type to chase records if he isn’t able to play at a high enough level. I say we win the SB this year and he rides off a champion and legend.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think get a stretch wr to go next to nuk kirk and Isabella our 4th wr

Sure keim will find a serviceable speed wr when fitz retires I hope 1 more though

Can fitz break anymore records

Plus fitz is still goid at making 3rd down big catches blocking on run screens.

Soooi want to see fitz have one more playoff opportunity

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
yes we are prepared for his exit. We replaced him plus some. It’s almost impossible to cover nuk, never said that about fitz and I luv fitz.

I don’t recall larry being a consensus league top three receiver during his career but we have one now. I’m thankful:notworthy:

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
yes we are prepared for his exit. We replaced him plus some. It’s almost impossible to cover nuk, never said that about fitz and I luv fitz.

I don’t recall larry being a consensus league top three receiver during his career but we have one now. I’m thankful:notworthy:

Say what? I remember the debates with most people saying Antonio Brown being better than Fitz. I constantly said Fitz is number one, until (and unless) AB can sustain his high level for many more years. I feel very redeemed, for he hasn't and didn't. Larry has been the best over this century. Don't feel there is any argument on that one.

And to reply to some other previous comments, don't we have enough speedsters? I feel we need a big strong Boldin type WR to replace Larry.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The answer is yes.

Right now we are better playing 2 TE or 2 RB sets than having Fitz on the field. He only offers one thing right now, great hands. His ability to get open is terrible, and he is subpar as a blocker when compared to our TE's.

I've gone back and looked at some of the plays as they developed with an eye on how Ftiz was doing---he's open way more than his targets would suggest. A lot of plays he is lost behind the OL/DL scrum and is most likely not in KM's field of vision. We need to strap a 'Go Pro' camera on either side of KM's head to capture just what he is seeing---I think too many of Ftiz's routes are actually in KM's 5'10" (give or take an inch or two) blind spot as he surveys the field for his receivers.

KM has not yet learned to trust Fitz's ability to position himself and make the contested catch. Instead, KM is only pulling the trigger when Fitz looks wide open instead of throwing him open. There have been plenty of missed throws with balls sailing over Fitz's head and a missed TD in the end zone.

Also, Fitz brings way more than just his hands when on the field. Watch the huddle as he helps KM get the play call and then position the offense. Fitz plays line judge and hustles the ball to the center to stop the clock when necessary.

Fitz looks to me like he's bulked up this season---must have been hitting the weights and the cheese burgars. I think he could extend his career with a few more pounds and use him as a pass-catching TE.

At some point, he will be called into MB's office and told it is time to go. As I fan, I hope it is only until after he wins that SB ring---as a WR and vital contributor.

Here's the recent Darren Urban article on the game that got us Fitz in the draft---our miracle win over the Vikes. Had we owned the #1 pick, would we have gone with one of the QBs in the draft? Instead, we got Fitz at #3 and the rest is HOF history. (What would have happened if the Cards took Rivers /Mannning/Big Ben with the #1? We'll never know)

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/lo...ate-poole-oral-history-cardinals-vikings-2003

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Fitz looks to me that he still can catch anything that comes near him. I don't say that he needs more targets, though I hope he does get more, I just say that's he's one of our top three WR's. Still has great hands. When we get someone better, let me know, because, imo, we don't have him, now.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopkins Fitz Kirk it's a solid unit
We just need another WR who can stretch the field
Cause we just have Kirk
Isabella is what he is