What happened to Isaiah Simmons?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
The "how long I have been watching football" defense is rather silly.
Not when someone takes a jab at you asking if you even watch the games. I haven't missed a game since 98 when they moved to phoenix. I'm not saying that makes anyone more knowledgeable about the game, but it does show dedication to watching the games.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not when someone takes a jab at you asking if you even watch the games. I haven't missed a game since 98 when they moved to phoenix. I'm not saying that makes anyone more knowledgeable about the game, but it does show dedication to watching the games.
Hmm, then you missed the first ten years when they actually moved to Phoenix. ;)

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was you watching Simmons 20 years ago?

Guys here keep throwing this up. 8 years is more than enough time to learn the intricacies of football when you watch a lot of it. Do you know more about football in the 80's and 90's? Sure. But I know how the game is played just as well.

Tell me oh sage one. Why isn't our #8 pick elite athletic stud playing more than 20% of snaps if it's not the mental side? It's not because he isn't fast enough, or strong enough.

Oh and every single thing written here is opinion and theory. It amazes how many people bring this up, it's kinda obvious.
He’s not playing more because he’s not currently better than Campbell, who is playing very good football. It’s that simple.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I never said any such thing. I said I've watched him play and if you did so you would see other players telling him he's lined up wrong and the obvious mental errors he had made which is why Vance has switched to just using him situationally with a specific task. Exclusively on obvious passing downs.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s not playing more because he’s not currently better than Campbell, who is playing very good football. It’s that simple.

He was never going to replace Campbell. There wasnt a snap in camp that Simmons took over Campbell. Their intention all along was to use him as a nickel backer on every 2nd and 3rd down which they abandoned game 1.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He was never going to replace Campbell. There wasnt a snap in camp that Simmons took over Campbell. Their intention all along was to use him as a nickel backer on every 2nd and 3rd down which they abandoned game 1.

Where is the evidence for this? An article to cite or is this just “obvious”? Genuinely intrigued

Wanderer

Veteran
Reaction score
I know 15 million sounds like a lot for Reddick and maybe they can get a long term deal at a lower number.

But if he walks you have to replace him and that is not cheap at OLB.

Premium pick or big dollar signing, unless you want another Kennard level player.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Reddick moving to ILB is simply because we finally had two ILB we could play and it was more of a numbers thing. He didnt really create a position for him, they just moved him to a greater positional need.

First off did you mean moving to OLBer.

Secondly the move to OLBer was started at some point last year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Where is the evidence for this? An article to cite or is this just “obvious”? Genuinely intrigued

Was in a Vance interview I think. I'll try find it. It was also in various camp reports saying Campbell never came off for Simmons and he was playing nickel backer.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

"He’s going to be a linebacker and a dime in our sub package” Joseph said.

This is the closest quote I can find saying he would be an additional linebacker in subpackages ie nickel and this was how they used him in camp.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
The good thing with Simmons is he has a lot more experience playing in coverage coming out of college than what Reddick had. I think he will be starting next year and playing well. Reddick was mostly just used as a pass rusher and didn't have much experience dropping back, that's why its taken him so long to play well. That and finally staying at outside linebacker. I personally would love to see us give Reddick a five year contract now that he is in his prime. He is only going to continue to get better. Imagine our linebacking unit with a stout defensive line in front of them. The athletic ability of Simmons and Reddick to go along with Campbell and Hicks inside with Chandler Jones pass rushing ability. I don't think there would be a better linebacking unit in the NFL in two years.

Spend next years number one draft pick on a defensive lineman and our top free agent pickup on a defensive lineman and we should have a top three defense in no time.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The good thing with Simmons is he has a lot more experience playing in coverage coming out of college than what Reddick had. I think he will be starting next year and playing well. Reddick was mostly just used as a pass rusher and didn't have much experience dropping back, that's why its taken him so long to play well. That and finally staying at outside linebacker. I personally would love to see us give Reddick a five year contract now that he is in his prime. He is only going to continue to get better. Imagine our linebacking unit with a stout defensive line in front of them. The athletic ability of Simmons and Reddick to go along with Campbell and Hicks inside with Chandler Jones pass rushing ability. I don't think there would be a better linebacking unit in the NFL in two years.

Spend next years number one draft pick on a defensive lineman and our top free agent pickup on a defensive lineman and we should have a top three defense in no time.

After Budda, Reddick, right now, may be our 2nd best defensive starter. I never thought I'd say that.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
C’mon old man, we had season tickets til 98 :p

Wanderer

Veteran
Reaction score
After Budda, Reddick, right now, may be our 2nd best defensive starter. I never thought I'd say that.

Pat P played a hell of a game against the Seahawks.

What I like about what Vance is doing with Reddick is moving him around and getting the rush matchups he wants. On one sack against the Seahawks he got him isolated on the TE, who he murdered, and it was a clean sack. Vance should be able to do that for Simmons as well.

Not on the pass rush. But on downs and distances where he can be an athlete

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I've been hoping he would come around. He tested through the roof athletically. Now can we sign him to a long term contract to reek havoc with Simmons for the next five years.