They may add another playoff team

AirRaid

Rookie
Reaction score
Meh. Remember when the 9-7 Cardinals made a run to the SB and were moments away from winning it?

Also a comparison to the NBA is bad because of the fact that NFL is single elimination. That makes upsets far more likely.

Personally I would much rather see a couple bad teams make it sometimes than good teams get left out and that also happens at times.

That's a fair point, a team can get hot and go the distance. Injuries, etc can compromise the record early on and then there's not enough time to catch up if healthy.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
You would still need that set up for scheduling purposes, I am thinking.
My point is that you would make winning your division pointless and thus divisions essentially pointless.

The prize of being the best team in your division should always be winning your division as it adds intrigue to what would be otherwise meaningless division games late in the season.

I think they have done a good job of helping to make sure good teams don't get left out for a weak division winner getting in by adding the 3rd WC slot.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I would like to add that if they add the 8th playoff spot than they need to get rid of byes all together. With byes added in the #1 seed could potentially play their first playoff game in the conference championship and that would be pretty ridiculous.