They may add another playoff team

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
NFL is really looking at another playoff team If they make it 8 in each conference. We definitely are looking good. I wouldn’t mind it. Doesn’t change anything unless you #1. You lose your bye

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sure it may be lame but after seeing these last 2 weeks, I can not wait to see Kyler and the crew under the bright lights in the playoffs. They thrive on the big stage

OP
OP
C

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
i think we get there without needing the 8 seed. Just waters down the playoffs, IMO.
I get what you are saying. I think what they are looking at. Is if a team or 2 gets a game cancelled. So say they are 9-6. It missed a game. And say the Cards are 10-6. I think they are doing it make sure someone doesn’t get left out. But I don’t think terrible. The 8th team plays the 1 seed. Everyone else pretty much same schedule for playoffs

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get what you are saying. I think what they are looking at. Is if a team or 2 gets a game cancelled. So say they are 9-6. It missed a game. And say the Cards are 10-6. I think they are doing it make sure someone doesn’t get left out. But I don’t think terrible. The 8th team plays the 1 seed. Everyone else pretty much same schedule for playoffs

if that team has to cancel their game because of a Covid outbreak on their own team, they shouldn’t be rewarded with a playoff game for their own irresponsible behavior.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
if that team has to cancel their game because of a Covid outbreak on their own team, they shouldn’t be rewarded with a playoff game for their own irresponsible behavior.
Considering you can be contagious for up to 5 days before testing positive it’s not out of the realm of possibility that one player essentially gets a bunch of other players infected. It wouldn’t necessarily require a whole lot of irresponsible behavior.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering you can be contagious for up to 5 days before testing positive it’s not out of the realm of possibility that one player essentially gets a bunch of other players infected. It wouldn’t necessarily require a whole lot of irresponsible behavior.

don’t care. You want to play the game? Do everything to stay safe enough not to get it in the first place where you can f it up for the rest of the team. And teammates should be holding each other accountable.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
don’t care. You want to play the game? Do everything to stay safe enough not to get it in the first place where you can f it up for the rest of the team. And teammates should be holding each other accountable.
These guys have wives and kids that they could catch it from. They are not playing in a bubble so stuff can happen. It’s not as cut and dry as you are making it out to be.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
If they went to 8 - they should give back the bye to the 2 seed IMO.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
This is all about missed game revenue in tv contracts...as bye weeks get gobbled up, the end of the season is where actual regular season games may be in jeopardy. If they lose games and tv money, they will look to add games in post season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
This is all about missed game revenue in tv contracts...as bye weeks get gobbled up, the end of the season is where actual regular season games may be in jeopardy. If they lose games and tv money, they will look to add games in post season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Bingo, this was my first thought as well. It's all about the Benjamin's.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Instead of doing this, they should take away the automatic division winner gets into the playoffs rule.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Instead of doing this, they should take away the automatic division winner gets into the playoffs rule.
Nah that would make divisions pointless. They should get rid of the home game guarantee for division winners though.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I want the number 1 wildcard spot and a game against Philly or whichever awful NFCE team hobbles into the playoffs.
Trying to offset a the NFC East considering the NFC West strength?

I think that strength is collapsing. Niners are done and Goff has regressed to his normal low IQ self.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
How would that work?
I tried to make it work. I have no clue. Haha

My best guess:
Thursday before divisional weekend
AFC 7 seed vs 8 seed
Friday:
NFC 7 seed vs 8 seed.

Weekend:
Seed 3 vs. 6
Seed 4 vs. 5

Next TNF:
AFC Seed 1 vs. winner of play in
Next FNF
NFC Seed 1 vs. winner of play in

Sat
Seed 2 gets lowest seed left.
Last two seeded teams play each other.

Next weekend:
Last 4 teams play

Next weekend:
AFC & NFC Championship

I think that gives Seed 1's another 2 extra days after TNF & FNF games. Math doesn't add up though.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would that work?

Only way to do it would be a double bye for first two seeds

First Round: 5 vs 8 and 6 vs 7 (All Wild Cards)
Second Round: Winner 5/8 vs 4 Division Winner and 6/7 Winner vs #3 Division Winner
Third Round: Winner 5/8/4 vs 1 Seed and 6/7/3 winner vs 2 seed
Fourth Round - Conference Championship
Fifth Round - Super Bowl

A wild card would have to win 5 games to win it all
3/4 best Division winners would have to win 4 games
Top Two seeds would have to win 3 games

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The radio guys said that they were considering the 8th team in the case of games being fully cancelled due to the virus, since they don't have more bye weeks to appropriate. Instead of having a team left out controversially due to unequal number of games played, they'd add the additional team.
Maybe also due to the fact that 4-11-1 Philadelphia will go to the playoffs this year, and keep a 9 or 10 win team out.

Last edited:

AirRaid

Rookie
Reaction score
This is just for this season I hope. We already have enough bad teams making the playoffs as is. 8 per conference and we're turning into the NBA where the 7th and 8th seeds get obliterated every year.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This is just for this season I hope. We already have enough bad teams making the playoffs as is. 8 per conference and we're turning into the NBA where the 7th and 8th seeds get obliterated every year.
Meh. Remember when the 9-7 Cardinals made a run to the SB and were moments away from winning it?

Also a comparison to the NBA is bad because of the fact that NFL is single elimination. That makes upsets far more likely.

Personally I would much rather see a couple bad teams make it sometimes than good teams get left out and that also happens at times.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave