Way too early 2021 1st Round Mock Draft

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I love the draft, love scouting, and love personnel fits. So here is a mock draft for next year's draft that you all can rip apart.

1 - NY Jets - Trevor Lawrence - QB - Clemson
-Easy choice. Big, strong and athletic. Lots of college starts. A player who can turn around a bad franchise.

2 - NY Giants - Justin Fields - QB - Ohio St.
-I will argue that this is the right move but not one I am sure they make. Fields is another QB who can turn around a franchise. There are weapons on the Giants that they shouldn't want to waste trying to make Daniel Jones work.

3 - Jacksonville - Zach Wilson - QB - BYU
-At some point you have to reach a bit for a QB. Wilson is worth a first, and if you want a QB, you are going to have to take one early in this draft. They have a nice RB and some nice WRs...just need someone better than Minshew.

4 - Miami - Micah Parsons - LB - Penn St.
-LBs drive the bus on this defense and Parsons is smart and can do a lot of different things. He is a difference maker on defense and the type of front 7 player the Dolphins are missing.

5 - Atlanta - Patrick Surtain - CB - Alabama
-If you want to stop giving up big leads, you need to get your secondary right. Pairing him with AJ Terrell gives the Falcons a cost controlled, young CB duo to match the WRs in the NFC South.

6 - Dallas- Penei Sewell - OT - Oregon
-The rebuild of the Cowboys starts here. They need to shed salary if they are going to keep Dak and Tyron Smith is one of the easiest options. Sewell gives them a young, cheap LT to pair with a young C, and complement Zach Martin and La'el Collins.

7 - Washington - Trey Lance - QB - North Dakota St.
-Big, athletic and raw is something that Rivera has experience with. They need a QB but can take their time with Lance.

8 - LA Chargers - Ja'Marr Chase - WR - LSU
-Originally I thought a LT would be the fit here, but Chase is too good to pass up. Herbert gets a perfect compliment to Keenan Allen and the Chargers start adding firepower to keep up with the Chiefs.

9 - New England - Devonta Smith - WR - Alabama
-Belichick likes Alabama players and he knows he needs to get faster on offense. Smith helps add this dimension though it is tough to believe the Pats will take a WR this high. They likely would trade down, but they need to get a WR sooner rather than later.

10 - Minnesota - Christian Darrisaw - OT - Virginia Tech
-Darrisaw is an athletic OT in the mold of the Kubiak offense. He has consistently elevated his game and will help give Cousins the best chance to not be a liability.

11 - Cincinnati - Jackson Carman - OT - Clemson
-Monster of a man and pretty athletic, Carman would give the Bengals options on their line. Jonah Williams has struggled to stay healthy, Carman fits the division from a physical standpoint and will help limit hits on Burrow.

12 - Carolina - Caleb Farley - CB - Virginia Tech
-Carolina adds a CB to keep up with a solid WR division. Farley brings size to match up with Julio, Mike Evans and Michael Thomas.

13 - Detroit - Gregory Rousseau - EDGE - Miami
-Lions need a pass rusher and Rousseau has the potential to be great. I am not sold on him, but Detroit has a history of taking some risks on raw athletes.

14 - Denver - Shaun Wade - CB - Ohio St.
-Possibility the Broncos release Von Miller in the offseason which would put EDGE as a possibility but for now we will have Denver take a speedy CB who can play in the slot.

15 - San Francisco - Jaycee Horn - CB - South Carolina
-Tall, physical CB who fits the 49ers defense. Fills a need and is also a culture and scheme fit.

16 - Miami - Creed Humphrey - C - Oklahoma
-C is an important position and it will be nice to have a C for Tua to grow with. Creed physically matches what Miami will want to do on offense and elevates the physicality of the offense.

17 - Las Vegas - Rashod Bateman - WR - Minnesota
-I don't know that they Raiders are going to move on from Carr and if not, they need more weapons. Bateman is a Mayock type of guy and complements Ruggs who they took last year.

18 - Chicago - Kyle Pitts - TE - Florida
-Pitts is the dynamic TE the Bears have been searching for. Ideally they would get a QB, but none are really worth it here, and Pitts adds a very dynamic offensive player.

19 - Philadelphia - Kwity Paye - EDGE - Michigan
-Eagles like versatile EDGE players how are physical. Paye fits the mold and is cheap which the Eagles need.

20 - Cleveland - Dylan Moses - LB - Alabama
-Athletic and physical fits the AFC North. Cleveland is going to win with Baker by having a top defense and a running game. Moses helps build to that goal.

21 - Jacksonville - Alex Leatherwood - OT - Alabama
-Big and physical OT. He is more polished than some of the other OTs available and fitz a run the ball, play action offense. A safe pick that will appeal to the Jags.

22 - Indianapolis - Joseph Assai - EDGE - Texas
-Colts need a pass rusher and Assai has really elevated his game this year. He can step in for Justin Houston and provide pressure off the edge and give that front 7 another playmaker.

23 - Arizona - Pat Freiermuth- TE - Penn St
-Cardinals need a CB here, but none are worth it. EDGE is an option, but I don't know that Keim will trust Vance with another raw athlete, and so that leaves offense. The Cardinals want to be more physical and Freiermuth adds that element and a needed RAC receiver. Kliff has embraced 11 personnel sets and the possibility of adding the perfect blend of Maxx Williams and Dan Arnold will be too good to pass up. Also, Keim will love recruiting from his home state.

24 - Baltimore- Jayson Oweh - EDGE - Penn St.
-Athletic freak outside that the Ravens are missing. He is raw, but the Ravens has developed raw edge rushers before and had great success.

25 - Green Bay - Terrace Marshall Jr. - WR - LSU
-Rodgers likes big WRs who can go get the ball and Marshall is that guy. He has great size and speed and will give the Packers a nice player opposite of Adams.

26 - Tennessee - Patrick Jones II - EDGE - Pittsburgh
-The Titans need a pass rusher but one who fits their culture. Jones is a physical, quick off the edge but not super fast. He fits the team as a grinder.

27 - New Orleans - Rondale Moore - WR - Purdue
-Speed to complement Michael Thomas and give the Saints the deep threat they have missed since Ted Ginn wandered off. Jaylen Waddle also an option but health is a concern.

28 - Buffalo - Aidan Hutchinson - EDGE - Michigan
-Big and physical on the edge. Versatile lineman. Not necessarily a pass rusher but a better version of Trent Murphy.

29 - Tampa Bay - Azeez Ojulari - EDGE - Georgia
-Tampa needs a cheaper edge player and Ojulari fits the Bowles mold. Nice developing edge defender who can get to the QB. Brings enough physicality.

30 - Kansas City - Jaylen Mayfield - OT - Michigan
-KC has to get cheaper on the offensive line and Mayfield lets them move on from Eric Fisher in the near future. Big, young, and physical...Mayfield is an Andy Reid type of OT.

31 - NY Jets - Travis Etienne - RB - Clemson
-Because the Steelers may not re-sign James Conner, I believe the Jets take Etienne here and Wyatt Davis at 33. Etienne gives a pass catching outlet to Lawrence, helps build a running game, and there is a familiarity between the two which will help Lawrence.

32 - Pittsburgh - Liam Eichenburg - OT - Notre Dame
-Steelers have some cap issues that will make it tough to bring their LT back. Eichenburg is a similar type of player coming from a college program that has produced some good NFL OL.

33 - NY Jets - Wyatt Davis - OG - Ohio St
-This is just a bonus because I feel people will ask. He falls because he is an OG. Too many teams needing OTs and pass rushers.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Omissions that people are probably curious about.

Jaylen Waddle will be an injury question until he proves otherwise.

No DTs...I really don't think this is a very good class. I think you will see a run in round 2. Tufele, Barmore, Marvin Wilson and Jordan Davis could elevate themselves but I haven't seen it.

The Georgia CBs could go round 1 along with Asante Samuel Jr, but I don't see it yet.

I like Jevon Holland but I don't see the need with the teams drafting at the end of round 1 to pass over more important postitions.

WRs gonna go in round 2.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I love the draft, love scouting, and love personnel fits. So here is a mock draft for next year's draft that you all can rip apart.

1 - NY Jets - Trevor Lawrence - QB - Clemson
-Easy choice. Big, strong and athletic. Lots of college starts. A player who can turn around a bad franchise.

2 - NY Giants - Justin Fields - QB - Ohio St.
-I will argue that this is the right move but not one I am sure they make. Fields is another QB who can turn around a franchise. There are weapons on the Giants that they shouldn't want to waste trying to make Daniel Jones work.

3 - Jacksonville - Zach Wilson - QB - BYU
-At some point you have to reach a bit for a QB. Wilson is worth a first, and if you want a QB, you are going to have to take one early in this draft. They have a nice RB and some nice WRs...just need someone better than Minshew.

4 - Miami - Micah Parsons - LB - Penn St.
-LBs drive the bus on this defense and Parsons is smart and can do a lot of different things. He is a difference maker on defense and the type of front 7 player the Dolphins are missing.

5 - Atlanta - Patrick Surtain - CB - Alabama
-If you want to stop giving up big leads, you need to get your secondary right. Pairing him with AJ Terrell gives the Falcons a cost controlled, young CB duo to match the WRs in the NFC South.

6 - Dallas- Penei Sewell - OT - Oregon
-The rebuild of the Cowboys starts here. They need to shed salary if they are going to keep Dak and Tyron Smith is one of the easiest options. Sewell gives them a young, cheap LT to pair with a young C, and complement Zach Martin and La'el Collins.

7 - Washington - Trey Lance - QB - North Dakota St.
-Big, athletic and raw is something that Rivera has experience with. They need a QB but can take their time with Lance.

8 - LA Chargers - Ja'Marr Chase - WR - LSU
-Originally I thought a LT would be the fit here, but Chase is too good to pass up. Herbert gets a perfect compliment to Keenan Allen and the Chargers start adding firepower to keep up with the Chiefs.

9 - New England - Devonta Smith - WR - Alabama
-Belichick likes Alabama players and he knows he needs to get faster on offense. Smith helps add this dimension though it is tough to believe the Pats will take a WR this high. They likely would trade down, but they need to get a WR sooner rather than later.

10 - Minnesota - Christian Darrisaw - OT - Virginia Tech
-Darrisaw is an athletic OT in the mold of the Kubiak offense. He has consistently elevated his game and will help give Cousins the best chance to not be a liability.

11 - Cincinnati - Jackson Carman - OT - Clemson
-Monster of a man and pretty athletic, Carman would give the Bengals options on their line. Jonah Williams has struggled to stay healthy, Carman fits the division from a physical standpoint and will help limit hits on Burrow.

12 - Carolina - Caleb Farley - CB - Virginia Tech
-Carolina adds a CB to keep up with a solid WR division. Farley brings size to match up with Julio, Mike Evans and Michael Thomas.

13 - Detroit - Gregory Rousseau - EDGE - Miami
-Lions need a pass rusher and Rousseau has the potential to be great. I am not sold on him, but Detroit has a history of taking some risks on raw athletes.

14 - Denver - Shaun Wade - CB - Ohio St.
-Possibility the Broncos release Von Miller in the offseason which would put EDGE as a possibility but for now we will have Denver take a speedy CB who can play in the slot.

15 - San Francisco - Jaycee Horn - CB - South Carolina
-Tall, physical CB who fits the 49ers defense. Fills a need and is also a culture and scheme fit.

16 - Miami - Creed Humphrey - C - Oklahoma
-C is an important position and it will be nice to have a C for Tua to grow with. Creed physically matches what Miami will want to do on offense and elevates the physicality of the offense.

17 - Las Vegas - Rashod Bateman - WR - Minnesota
-I don't know that they Raiders are going to move on from Carr and if not, they need more weapons. Bateman is a Mayock type of guy and complements Ruggs who they took last year.

18 - Chicago - Kyle Pitts - TE - Florida
-Pitts is the dynamic TE the Bears have been searching for. Ideally they would get a QB, but none are really worth it here, and Pitts adds a very dynamic offensive player.

19 - Philadelphia - Kwity Paye - EDGE - Michigan
-Eagles like versatile EDGE players how are physical. Paye fits the mold and is cheap which the Eagles need.

20 - Cleveland - Dylan Moses - LB - Alabama
-Athletic and physical fits the AFC North. Cleveland is going to win with Baker by having a top defense and a running game. Moses helps build to that goal.

21 - Jacksonville - Alex Leatherwood - OT - Alabama
-Big and physical OT. He is more polished than some of the other OTs available and fitz a run the ball, play action offense. A safe pick that will appeal to the Jags.

22 - Indianapolis - Joseph Assai - EDGE - Texas
-Colts need a pass rusher and Assai has really elevated his game this year. He can step in for Justin Houston and provide pressure off the edge and give that front 7 another playmaker.

23 - Arizona - Pat Freiermuth- TE - Penn St
-Cardinals need a CB here, but none are worth it. EDGE is an option, but I don't know that Keim will trust Vance with another raw athlete, and so that leaves offense. The Cardinals want to be more physical and Freiermuth adds that element and a needed RAC receiver. Kliff has embraced 11 personnel sets and the possibility of adding the perfect blend of Maxx Williams and Dan Arnold will be too good to pass up. Also, Keim will love recruiting from his home state.

24 - Baltimore- Jayson Oweh - EDGE - Penn St.
-Athletic freak outside that the Ravens are missing. He is raw, but the Ravens has developed raw edge rushers before and had great success.

25 - Green Bay - Terrace Marshall Jr. - WR - LSU
-Rodgers likes big WRs who can go get the ball and Marshall is that guy. He has great size and speed and will give the Packers a nice player opposite of Adams.

26 - Tennessee - Patrick Jones II - EDGE - Pittsburgh
-The Titans need a pass rusher but one who fits their culture. Jones is a physical, quick off the edge but not super fast. He fits the team as a grinder.

27 - New Orleans - Rondale Moore - WR - Purdue
-Speed to complement Michael Thomas and give the Saints the deep threat they have missed since Ted Ginn wandered off. Jaylen Waddle also an option but health is a concern.

28 - Buffalo - Aidan Hutchinson - EDGE - Michigan
-Big and physical on the edge. Versatile lineman. Not necessarily a pass rusher but a better version of Trent Murphy.

29 - Tampa Bay - Azeez Ojulari - EDGE - Georgia
-Tampa needs a cheaper edge player and Ojulari fits the Bowles mold. Nice developing edge defender who can get to the QB. Brings enough physicality.

30 - Kansas City - Jaylen Mayfield - OT - Michigan
-KC has to get cheaper on the offensive line and Mayfield lets them move on from Eric Fisher in the near future. Big, young, and physical...Mayfield is an Andy Reid type of OT.

31 - NY Jets - Travis Etienne - RB - Clemson
-Because the Steelers may not re-sign James Conner, I believe the Jets take Etienne here and Wyatt Davis at 33. Etienne gives a pass catching outlet to Lawrence, helps build a running game, and there is a familiarity between the two which will help Lawrence.

32 - Pittsburgh - Liam Eichenburg - OT - Notre Dame
-Steelers have some cap issues that will make it tough to bring their LT back. Eichenburg is a similar type of player coming from a college program that has produced some good NFL OL.

33 - NY Jets - Wyatt Davis - OG - Ohio St
-This is just a bonus because I feel people will ask. He falls because he is an OG. Too many teams needing OTs and pass rushers.
I think New England trades up to #1 for Lawrence
Out of character for BB to actually trade for a better pick but he has a playoff team that just needs a QB once his guys return.....
Jets will do it because Sam Darnold ain’t the problem

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A TE in the first round? No thanks.

we desperately need a pass rusher. Jones is 30 and will be coming off a major injury

I’d love to take the best offensive lineman

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think New England trades up to #1 for Lawrence
Out of character for BB to actually trade for a better pick but he has a playoff team that just needs a QB once his guys return.....
Jets will do it because Sam Darnold ain’t the problem
I don't think the Jets would trade with New England. I think they will take Lawrence and trade Darnold for a late first or 2nd. There are a bunch of teams who would give up a 2nd to try and get the most out of Darnold. If I am Indy, I am giving up my 1st for Darnold or Dak. However, Chicago is also desperate for a QB and not high enough to get one.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don't think the Jets would trade with New England. I think they will take Lawrence and trade Darnold for a late first or 2nd. There are a bunch of teams who would give up a 2nd to try and get the most out of Darnold. If I am Indy, I am giving up my 1st for Darnold or Dak. However, Chicago is also desperate for a QB and not high enough to get one.
Yeah..... I wasn’t thinking about the inter divisional aspect

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A TE in the first round? No thanks.

we desperately need a pass rusher. Jones is 30 and will be coming off a major injury

I’d love to take the best offensive lineman
Between Golden, Reddick, Kennard, and Jones (who likely will take a pay cut in the form of a restructure) I am not sure Keim is going to take an upside pass rusher like Jayson Oweh just for Vance to sit him behind vets to learn after Isaiah Simmons. I think he is going to trust Kliff to use a mismatch like Freiermuth, he will like the physical element he brings, and it adds another vertical threat all in the same package. Hopkins, Freiermuth, and Kirk is an interesting group of pass catchers for Kyler moving forward and you can play all of them at the same time. 6'5 255 who I believe will run a 4.6 to 4.70 is special (he is rumored to run a 4.5 but I have to see that).

The other problem is that if you take an edge rusher in round 1, you almost have to take a guy to replace Chandler Jones, but are you ready move on from Jones? You aren't going to pay Chandler Jones 15 mil to play a part time role. So, you end up paying Jones 20 mil in 2021 or cutting him (neither are great options) and then you draft a dude to play behind Jones who gets 85% of snaps. Like we have seen with Isaiah Simmons behind Devondre Campbell that leads to a wasted year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah..... I wasn’t thinking about the inter divisional aspect
You may not be wrong in terms of Darnold, but I am guessing the Jets are going to want to reboot. A new HC and new QB is a great way to do that as we have seen.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
For those who are late to the Jayson Oweh party...here is Bruce Feldman's write up...

4. Jayson Oweh, Penn State, defensive end
Freakiest attribute: Speed

On a team with a lot of Freaks, this is the most explosive one of the bunch. The 6-5, 257-pound edge rusher didn’t get to go through winter workouts, but he’s in the top five based on his previous numbers and the word from inside the Nittany Lions program. Oweh (five sacks in 2019) has run a jaw-dropping 4.33 40, according to Penn State coaches. He also has vertical jumped 36 inches and broad jumped 10-7 to go with a pro agility time of 4.46, a 380-pound bench press and a 365-pound power clean. His body fat is 4.9 percent.

Oweh is also young as he is a RS Sophmore.

Again, I love him, but I don't know that Keim is going to trust Vance with a player like this again unless there is a clear hole for him to put started at.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
You may not be wrong in terms of Darnold, but I am guessing the Jets are going to want to reboot. A new HC and new QB is a great way to do that as we have seen.

just a hunch but I think Atlanta may move Matt Ryan this year.... that might be a route for New England too.... I think BB desperately wants to win a championship without Brady and riding Ryan for a few years might do it

of coarse that is probably a draft day trade pending what QBs are still on the board

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
just a hunch but I think Atlanta may move Matt Ryan this year.... that might be a route for New England too.... I think BB desperately wants to win a championship without Brady and riding Ryan for a few years might do it

of coarse that is probably a draft day trade pending what QBs are still on the board
There are several vet QBs that teams could move on from, but the issue is how do you get their replacement. Dak, Matt Ryan, and Matt Stafford are all in situations where they could move. The issue is that if the top three teams are all QB needy, how do you get one of those guys? Now, if Dallas, Atlanta or Detroit end up in the top 3, all bets are off.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't think that there is any way that the Jets will let NE have the first pick, no matter who they get in return.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Between Golden, Reddick, Kennard, and Jones (who likely will take a pay cut in the form of a restructure) I am not sure Keim is going to take an upside pass rusher like Jayson Oweh just for Vance to sit him behind vets to learn after Isaiah Simmons. I think he is going to trust Kliff to use a mismatch like Freiermuth, he will like the physical element he brings, and it adds another vertical threat all in the same package. Hopkins, Freiermuth, and Kirk is an interesting group of pass catchers for Kyler moving forward and you can play all of them at the same time. 6'5 255 who I believe will run a 4.6 to 4.70 is special (he is rumored to run a 4.5 but I have to see that).

The other problem is that if you take an edge rusher in round 1, you almost have to take a guy to replace Chandler Jones, but are you ready move on from Jones? You aren't going to pay Chandler Jones 15 mil to play a part time role. So, you end up paying Jones 20 mil in 2021 or cutting him (neither are great options) and then you draft a dude to play behind Jones who gets 85% of snaps. Like we have seen with Isaiah Simmons behind Devondre Campbell that leads to a wasted year.

Golden and Reddick are FA next year. Unless they both sign cheap (like $4m each cheap) I think he can only keep one of them. Jones was down this year and FA after next. OLB has to be a serious consideration.

Good work though, takes a lot of effort.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Golden and Reddick are FA next year. Unless they both sign cheap (like $4m each cheap) I think he can only keep one of them. Jones was down this year and FA after next. OLB has to be a serious consideration.

Good work though, takes a lot of effort.
I agree that it has to be a serious consideration, but we also have to recognize that taking an OLB in round 1 has other implications with a coordinator like Vance. No one would care that Isaiah Simmons was not getting snaps if he was drafted in round 2. Round 1 changes things.

Same would go if we drafted an OLB in round 1 next year.

The Cardinals almost have to do something with Chandler Jones contract. I don't think they would cut him which leaves the option for a pay cut in the form of an extension. If they do so, they are acknowledging that he is still a quality player and one that they want on the field. Call it a 3 year, 45 mil extension with 30 guaranteed. Even if they reduced his snaps by 15%, he is still on the field 70-75% of the game for the next two years outside of injury.

They will likely re-sign Golden OR Reddick to pair with Devon Kennard. The two players probably have snap counts around 50-65%.

So, if you draft Jayson Oweh (or whatever EDGE guy is your flavor) in round 1, where does he get snaps?

It is the Isaiah Simmons question for a 2nd year in a row and we can't count on Vance to suddenly change who he is.

Our only shot to make it work would be to either move Chandler Jones inside in nickel packages or pay Chandler Jones 15 mil per year for 3 years to play 60% of snaps. Now maybe Oweh could play both spots, but Vance doesn't seem to like moving guys like that.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
All that negative EDGE in round 1 talk aside, can you imagine having these two on a defense?

Isaiah Simmons 6'35 238lbs 33.375 arms (age 22 as of 7/26/98)
4.39 40
39 vert
11 broad jump

Jayson Oweh 6'5 257lbs (age 22 as of 12/15/98)
4.45 40 (they say 4.3 but I have to see it)
36 vert
10'7 broad jump

Scary athletic and young duo

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

you can never have to many pass rushers and on this team they’d find a way.

we’re not drafting a TE they really haven’t shown any interest in making them a major part of the offense.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All that negative EDGE in round 1 talk aside, can you imagine having these two on a defense?

Isaiah Simmons 6'35 238lbs 33.375 arms (age 22 as of 7/26/98)
4.39 40
39 vert
11 broad jump

Jayson Oweh 6'5 257lbs (age 22 as of 12/15/98)
4.45 40 (they say 4.3 but I have to see it)
36 vert
10'7 broad jump

Scary athletic and young duo

Yep, give me that.

Outstanding op that I thoroughly enjoyed. I will say that your dislike for Vance has really affected your pick for the Cards.

What if Vance leaves and the Cards hire a DC you like, do you still pick the TE?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree that it has to be a serious consideration, but we also have to recognize that taking an OLB in round 1 has other implications with a coordinator like Vance. No one would care that Isaiah Simmons was not getting snaps if he was drafted in round 2. Round 1 changes things.

Same would go if we drafted an OLB in round 1 next year.

The Cardinals almost have to do something with Chandler Jones contract. I don't think they would cut him which leaves the option for a pay cut in the form of an extension. If they do so, they are acknowledging that he is still a quality player and one that they want on the field. Call it a 3 year, 45 mil extension with 30 guaranteed. Even if they reduced his snaps by 15%, he is still on the field 70-75% of the game for the next two years outside of injury.

They will likely re-sign Golden OR Reddick to pair with Devon Kennard. The two players probably have snap counts around 50-65%.

So, if you draft Jayson Oweh (or whatever EDGE guy is your flavor) in round 1, where does he get snaps?

It is the Isaiah Simmons question for a 2nd year in a row and we can't count on Vance to suddenly change who he is.

Our only shot to make it work would be to either move Chandler Jones inside in nickel packages or pay Chandler Jones 15 mil per year for 3 years to play 60% of snaps. Now maybe Oweh could play both spots, but Vance doesn't seem to like moving guys like that.

I'm not convinced Kennard makes the team next year. He's technically our 3rd highest graded defender according to PFF but them PFF have been garbage and he's still in the 60's. He's shown little as a pass rusher, which I knew would be the case as he's always been a coverage sack/mop up scramblers guy for his sacks. He has an $8m cap hit next year and a $3.75m dead cap charge. If they decide they want to keep Golden and Reddick they may well cut Kennard to get the $4.25m to put towards it.

The way I see it is that two of those will stay. CJ going forward plays no more than 80% of snaps and the rookie in his first year gets 20-25% of snaps to start. If he flashes they give him more snaps and phase CJ out.

I'm not sure they extend CJ. He would be 32 going into the new deal, thats getting on for a pass rusher.

I'm never taking a TE in round 1 for this team. We just don't utilize them enough for that cost and you can get good TE's further back if you can scout. Kelce was a 3rd. Kittle a 5th. Ertz 2nd. Waller 6th.

Right this second I can't think of a 1st round TE in the past decade that was worth the pick

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yep, give me that.

Outstanding op that I thoroughly enjoyed. I will say that your dislike for Vance has really affected your pick for the Cards.

What if Vance leaves and the Cards hire a DC you like, do you still pick the TE?
In a vacuum I probably like the positional value of Jayson Oweh over Pat Freiermuth. The question I have is how much does Chandler Jones have left? I think he has plenty so it makes me hesitate a bit to take a guy who is going to share snaps for two years.

Re: Vance...it is more about seeing what has happened this year and not wanting to repeat it. If we cut Chandler or traded him, Oweh is the guy IMO easy because he would fill a clearly defined role which would also be vacant. Very similar to Simmons. If Devondre was not on the roster, Simmons would be in the starting lineup.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm not convinced Kennard makes the team next year. He's technically our 3rd highest graded defender according to PFF but them PFF have been garbage and he's still in the 60's. He's shown little as a pass rusher, which I knew would be the case as he's always been a coverage sack/mop up scramblers guy for his sacks. He has an $8m cap hit next year and a $3.75m dead cap charge. If they decide they want to keep Golden and Reddick they may well cut Kennard to get the $4.25m to put towards it.

The way I see it is that two of those will stay. CJ going forward plays no more than 80% of snaps and the rookie in his first year gets 20-25% of snaps to start. If he flashes they give him more snaps and phase CJ out.

I'm not sure they extend CJ. He would be 32 going into the new deal, thats getting on for a pass rusher.
I disagree on Kennard but we will see I guess.

I have a tough time believing the Cardinals are going to pay Chandler Jones 20 mil next year coming off a season-ending bicep injury. An ext at his age is not abnormal. There are a couple of guys who recently have been extended and are fine.