Suns trade ideas for the fall of 2020

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don’t trade that pick for a one year role player.

I don't know what you'd call him ("role player" is so meaningless) but I could see him being a pivotal player on a championship team. Whether that's worth paying that price for a player that might not stay past this season is beyond me.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The problem is that the Warriors is a repeating lux tax payer team which means that Oubre alone next season would cost them about 40 mil. Oubre's salary would fit into the trade exception that they created by the Igoudala-trade, so this trade works under the cap.

I think that most obvious issue with trading for Oubre is his expiring contract and UFA status next summer. Teams might hesitate to trade real assets for a rental.

I correct myself: the Iggy-trade exception did expire on 24th October.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Did you read what you wrote before you posted what you wrote?

Yes, and in this draft, you cannot deny that. There are a number of interesting prospects, but zero bonafide blue chip certain to be star prospects.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, and in this draft, you cannot deny that. There are a number of interesting prospects, but zero bonafide blue chip certain to be star prospects.

Of course I can. Knowledge trumps ignorance and if it didn't, we'd just be pulling names out of a bucket. Does it mean that the number 2 pick will always be better than the number 15 pick, no, but it doesn't mean the 15th pick has an equal chance of success either no matter how weak the top of this class is purported to be.

Yes, this is a weak-ish draft at the high end and yes, we know less than usual about the available players but it still doesn't make all the lottery picks equal.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Of course I can. Knowledge trumps ignorance and if it didn't, we'd just be pulling names out of a bucket. Does it mean that the number 2 pick will always be better than the number 15 pick, no, but it doesn't mean the 15th pick has an equal chance of success either no matter how weak the top of this class is purported to be.

Yes, this is a weak-ish draft at the high end and yes, we know less than usual about the available players but it still doesn't make all the lottery picks equal.

It certainly doesn't make the difference between 2 and 10 as great as a starter...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It certainly doesn't make the difference between 2 and 10 as great as a starter...

I'm not sure you're right but I'm not sure you're wrong on this either. I guess it just depends on what kind of player Toppin projects to be. From what I've read and what little I've seen, he sure seems to have star potential if his head is on straight and he lands with the right coach.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not sure you're right but I'm not sure you're wrong on this either. I guess it just depends on what kind of player Toppin projects to be. From what I've read and what little I've seen, he sure seems to have star potential if his head is on straight and he lands with the right coach.

But the same could be said for Vassell, Williams, Achiuwa or Smith at 10...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The current mock at Tankathon has Precious Achiuwa going #10 to the Suns. I would be pleased with this selection if it went that way.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But the same could be said for Vassell, Williams, Achiuwa or Smith at 10...

As far as I know, probably, but I'm hoping the front office knows what they're doing. And there's no denying we need help at the power forward spot so Toppin has extra value over several of the rumored top picks.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
alright I don’t wanna hear you cry when we don’t draft a PF.

Williams, Achiuwa and Smith are all PFs, and Vassell fills the hole of a back-up to Booker and lets us explore trading one of our wings for a PF.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Williams, Achiuwa and Smith are all PFs, and Vassell fills the hole of a back-up to Booker and lets us explore trading one of our wings for a PF.

Vassell's free throw shooting percentage over two seasons and consistently being able to score worries me a bit.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

your setting yourself up.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Vassell's free throw shooting percentage over two seasons and consistently being able to score worries me a bit.
Add to that his “new shooting style” and I am starting to get scared off Vassell a bit. I still think he has the best chance to break into the top 9 though and cause one of the top 9 players to slide to us.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Add to that his “new shooting style” and I am starting to get scared off Vassell a bit. I still think he has the best chance to break into the top 9 though and cause one of the top 9 players to slide to us.

Definitely Vassell is not at the top of my list although he may prove to be a good player.

After reading about all the Knicks connections to Kentucky I wouldn't be surprised if they don't trade down from number 8 to get him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Definitely Vassell is not at the top of my list although he may prove to be a good player.

After reading about all the Knicks connections to Kentucky I wouldn't be surprised if they don't trade down from number 8 to get him.

You're thinking of Tyrese Maxey...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
your setting yourself up.

For what? Besides, I get the feeling that if James Jones pulls the trade, he reaches for Haliburton at 2, giving us no means left to get a power forward...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're thinking of Tyrese Maxey...

Yes, I was talking about Maxey in the second paragraph. It will be tantalizing for the Knicks to go after him.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Saw a proposal on my news feed. Oubre and #10 for Kevin Love and #5. Love seems like a good fit next to Ayton. His contract sucks though.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw a proposal on my news feed. Oubre and #10 for Kevin Love and #5. Love seems like a good fit next to Ayton. His contract sucks though.

Yeah, that's not going to work for us. Maybe if he was on a discount deal but he's still owed 90 million over the next 3 seasons so not a chance we'd be interested - especially in today's Covid dominated market.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, that's not going to work for us. Maybe if he was on a discount deal but he's still owed 90 million over the next 3 seasons so not a chance we'd be interested - especially in today's Covid dominated market.

Plus he is majorly on the decline.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the rumor is the Cavaliers would like the Suns to trade them a good young player in Oubre for taking on an additional $75 million of Kevin Love's contract. And for doing so, they will let the Suns move up 5 spots in the draft by swapping picks.

If anything, #5 should be attached to Kevin Love's contract with no pick in return.

Regardless, I'm not a fan of this trade.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the rumor is the Cavaliers would like the Suns to trade them a good young player in Oubre for taking on an additional $75 million of Kevin Love's contract. And for doing so, they will let the Suns move up 5 spots in the draft by swapping picks.

If anything, #5 should be attached to Kevin Love's contract with no pick in return.

Regardless, I'm not a fan of this trade.

In this market and considering that Love has always had availability issues, is showing considerable decline, has never impacted the game commensurate with his stats and even when the contract was signed was grossly overpaid, I'm thinking it should be Love plus the 5 and a future unprotected number 1 for the 10 pick alone and even then I'd pass.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In this market and considering that Love has always had availability issues, is showing considerable decline, has never impacted the game commensurate with his stats and even when the contract was signed was grossly overpaid, I'm thinking it should be Love plus the 5 and a future unprotected number 1 for the 10 pick alone and even then I'd pass.

I think you already nailed it. You don't do it in a market where money is tight. Salary space alone is very valuable.

If the Suns had more salary space I would be sitting back waiting for offers of players and picks.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

yikes

I laugh and hand up on them

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson