Suns trade ideas for the fall of 2020

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
@Finito

I'm against trading Oubre and number 10 for 2. @offset has explained why.

A few things get lost here. Why would the Warriors trade for Oubre if he is only a nice role player?

Oubre is a potential starter for many teams and a young player who is on the way up. I'm sure the Warriors realize this. Also it likely means the Warriors feel he is as good or better than the second pick in the draft.

The other thing that gets lost, the Warriors do not have the right player contracts to make the trade work. They are over the salary cap. They would have to come close to matching salaries. Looking at their current roster they likely couldn't do this trade without involving another team. This is simply not a trade where the Warriors trade for Oubre and swap picks.

The problem is that the Warriors is a repeating lux tax payer team which means that Oubre alone next season would cost them about 40 mil. Oubre's salary would fit into the trade exception that they created by the Igoudala-trade, so this trade works under the cap.

I think that most obvious issue with trading for Oubre is his expiring contract and UFA status next summer. Teams might hesitate to trade real assets for a rental.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is that the Warriors is a repeating lux tax payer team which means that Oubre alone next season would cost them about 40 mil. Oubre's salary would fit into the trade exception that they created by the Igoudala-trade, so this trade works under the cap.

I think that most obvious issue with trading for Oubre is his expiring contract and UFA status next summer. Teams might hesitate to trade real assets for a rental.

I lost track of the trade exception.

Taking a step back, it's ridiculous the Warriors can have a trade exception with a payroll of $145,603,990 this coming season. It's the haves versus the have-nots.

If the Warriors traded for Oubre I'm sure the agent would have to offer some kind of intent he would re-sign there.

I can see the Warriors trying to lighten their payroll in some way.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
@Finito

I'm against trading Oubre and number 10 for 2. @offset has explained why.

A few things get lost here. Why would the Warriors trade for Oubre if he is only a nice role player?

Oubre is a potential starter for many teams and a young player who is on the way up. I'm sure the Warriors realize this. Also it likely means the Warriors feel he is as good or better than the second pick in the draft.

The other thing that gets lost, the Warriors do not have the right player contracts to make the trade work. They are over the salary cap. They would have to come close to matching salaries. Looking at their current roster they likely couldn't do this trade without involving another team. This is simply not a trade where the Warriors trade for Oubre and swap picks.

The Warriors have a trade exception they could use to absorb Oubre's contract without having to send players with matching salaries. As has happened in the past, Sarver would then let the trade exception lapse and pocket the money...which is why I believe the deal might be in play in the first place...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warriors have a trade exception they could use to absorb Oubre's contract without having to send players with matching salaries. As has happened in the past, Sarver would then let the trade exception lapse and pocket the money...which is why I believe the deal might be in play in the first place...

As previously discussed, it would be a lot like a salary dump for the Suns if they didn't have to take salary back.

If Toppin is considered on the level of Amare, the Warriors would draft him at number 2.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As previously discussed, it would be a lot like a salary dump for the Suns if they didn't have to take salary back.

If Toppin is considered on the level of Amare, the Warriors would draft him at number 2.

Man, I wish that sale to Ryan Smith had gone through...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I wish that sale to Miller had gone through...

The same feeling here. I seriously doubt the Suns can match the scouting and managerial skills of the better teams.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The same feeling here. I seriously doubt the Suns can match the scouting and managerial skills of the better teams.

I corrected my post from Miller (the former Jazz owner) to Smith. I agree that the biggest impact, above skimping on players, is skimping on front office personnel. It puts us at a distinct disadvantage in the draft, free agency and trades.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I corrected my post from Miller (the former Jazz owner) to Smith. I agree that the biggest impact, above skimping on players, is skimping on front office personnel. It puts us at a distinct disadvantage in the draft, free agency and trades.

I don't think there is much doubt the elite teams are at another level. If the better teams want to deal with the Suns such as the Warriors or Celtics one always has to ask why. The better teams are not going to lose many of these match-ups. And the Heat, they may be at another level.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would, but not at the expense of Oubre plus a lottery pick.

It’s really just Oubre your switching 10 to 2 you still have your lottery pick

you wouldn’t trade Oubre for Toppin?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It’s really just Oubre your switching 10 to 2 you still have your lottery pick

you wouldn’t trade Oubre for Toppin?

Straight up? I would give it strong consideration. Oubre plus another rotation player (which is the minimum the #10 pick should be)? No way.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Straight up? I would give it strong consideration. Oubre plus another rotation player (which is the minimum the #10 pick should be)? No way.

so what’s your realistic solution for Oubre? Your the one harping on needing a power forward.

your coming off that 10th pick in any package with him. He doesn’t have the trade value you think he does. What did we trade for him?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
so what’s your realistic solution for Oubre? Your the one harping on needing a power forward.

your coming off that 10th pick in any package with him. He doesn’t have the trade value you think he does. What did we trade for him?

Aaron Gordon, Lauri Markkanen, Bobby Portis, or straight up for Toppin. We need the #10 to fill one of our other holes (in the form of Haliburton, Hayes, Vassell, Jalen Smith or Achiuwa, or at worst Nesmith, Lewis or Bey). If the Suns wanted to throw in a future lottery protected first round pick with Oubre to move up from 10 to 2, I would consider it. Just not giving up a lottery pick plus a starter for a higher lottery pick in an offseason where we have at least 3 or 4 holes to fill. That would have salary dump written all over it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Aaron Gordon, Lauri Markkanen, Bobby Portis, or straight up for Toppin. We need the #10 to fill one of our other holes (in the form of Haliburton, Hayes, Vassell, Jalen Smith or Achiuwa, or at worst Nesmith, Lewis or Bey). If the Suns wanted to throw in a future lottery protected first round pick with Oubre to move up from 10 to 2, I would consider it. Just not giving up a lottery pick plus a starter for a higher lottery pick in an offseason where we have at least 3 or 4 holes to fill. That would have salary dump written all over it.

that’s not really realistic. Toppin is a much better prospect on a rookie contract than any of those.

Aaron Gordon isn’t anything special if that trade was going to happen it would of happened by now and why would the Bulls trade Lauri especially for Oubre on the last year of his deal.

You don’t understand the 2nd pick no matter what kind of drafts holds more value than Oubre. Hell Bridges and Johnson have made him expendable on his own team. Your not paying him at the end of the year.

your trying to live in this fantasy world were your just going to magically fix all your holes at once. It pretty much never works out like that.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Ppl keep bringing up the Warriors trade exception... For the Warriors to afford Kelly longterm they’d have to move Wiggins. Good luck with that.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ppl keep bringing up the Warriors trade exception... For the Warriors to afford Kelly longterm they’d have to move Wiggins. Good luck with that.

Or they could just pay the Luxury Tax, keep improving the team and not be obsessed with making money the way Sarver is...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Or they could just pay the Luxury Tax, keep improving the team and not be obsessed with making money the way Sarver is...

This has nothing to do with Sarver since every ownership group hates the L-Tax. Besides they already have Wiggins who is Kelly without the personality.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with Sarver since every ownership group hates the L-Tax. Besides they already have Wiggins who is Kelly without the personality.

If they trade Oubre and get nothing in return except moving up in a draft that is weak at the top, it will have Sarver and his frugality written all over it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

who said they want him long term. There clearly going all in for next year

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
That Lakers deal... LOL.

Also, we should trade them Booker for David Caruso, or whatever his name is. :D

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You don’t trade that pick for a one year role player.

If you get the #10 pick on top of it in a draft where Pick #15 is just as likely to turn into a star as Pick #2, it's a no-brainer...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you get the #10 pick on top of it in a draft where Pick #15 is just as likely to turn into a star as Pick #2, it's a no-brainer...

Did you read what you wrote before you posted what you wrote?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose