Second Half+ Of The Season (Offensive View)

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What to expect? For me, I'm guessing more passes and fewer running plays. My guess is based on two things:
1. Drake's injury.
2. KK being criticized for being too conservative in his play calling.

If that happens, I don't see much difference in the number of targets for Nuk or Kirk, and they will probably remain at the top of the WR Food Chain. But I do see Chase, Larry and Arnold being more involved in the offense.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Wanderer

Veteran
Reaction score
-We need the OL to continue to play at a high level. No more Panthers hiccups.

-Kliff has to start trusting the offense more. I know Murray has had some blips, but the defense is good enough to overcome the odd blip.

-I would like to see less screens and more vertical passing like everyone else. You have the horses in the WR group and Murray is showing steady improvement in decision making and accuracy. Imagine if K1 and Isabella ever get on the same page?

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I slightly disagree. Max Williams changes our outside zone scheme so I think we see more of that. I at least want to see if Edmonds can run the outside zone and slash up field like Drake did the 2nd half of last season. Im not sure Edmonds can do it (no slight to him, he's just a different back).

You're probably right that we run less. I wonder if there is any faith in Eno.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I slightly disagree. Max Williams changes our outside zone scheme so I think we see more of that. I at least want to see if Edmonds can run the outside zone and slash up field like Drake did the 2nd half of last season. Im not sure Edmonds can do it (no slight to him, he's just a different back).

You'd have to think that we'll at least see Eno active on Game Day. If Chase replaces Drake, someone has to replace Chase.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What to expect? For me, I'm guessing more passes and fewer running plays. My guess is based on two things:
1. Drake's injury.

If that happens, I don't see much difference in the number of targets for Nuk or Kirk, and they will probably remain at the top of the WR Food Chain. But I do see Chase, Larry and Arnold being more involved in the offense.

I really doubt that KK being criticized will factor into his decision making at all. The man is smart and has a good staff so the self critiques will be what determines what he does.

The way Edwards has been playing makes me think we may run the ball more because Chase was playing better than Drake. I actually like how much KK runs the ball, keeps the opposing D honest.

I do think we will see more action to the WR's because this offense will become a juggernaut sooner than later.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Two things:
1. Cardiac, Edwards, did you mean Edmonds? And I don't mean that as a criticism, just want to be sure.
2. Zeem, play calling being too conservative was not based on the FG, alone. It just seems that every week I read that KK's play calling needs to improve.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are averaging just a smiggen under 30 points Per game.
We have been awesome in The red zone.
We have scored numerous times after getting the ball with LESS than a minute to play.

Also, we Recently have begun taking shots downfield which has loosen things up. Much less of the bubble screen stuff but don’t expect that to ever be totally gone.

Ive said numerous times nfl teams need to be averaging 30 points a Game to be competitive. We are very close to that and getting better.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Two things:
1. Cardiac, Edwards, did you mean Edmonds? And I don't mean that as a criticism, just want to be sure.
2. Zeem, play calling being too conservative was not based on the FG, alone. It just seems that every week I read that KK's play calling needs to improve.

It's mostly #fakenews that Kingsbury needs to improve playcalling. This team is averaging over 30 points per game with a QB with a sub 100 QB Rating. As much as I love Murray, he often misses on 7 or so big passes a game. Every play caller is going to miss on plays! Kingsbury wins a lot more than he misses.

I'd argue Kingsbury is a top 5 play caller already. He's good at it. He's not great at time management in pressure situations.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
1. Drake's injury.

Drake might only miss one game. Edmonds might be a better runner. In any event our run game entirely revolves around Kyler: his ability to run, his ability to hold and read, and his scramble game are all much more important run-game assets than Drake.

KK doesn’t care if he’s being criticized right now: he just outgunned the league’s #1 offense and has a top-10 offense that hasn’t even clicked yet, and he’s 5-2. He’s going to keep going with what’s been working. Of course the defense could dictate otherwise, and try to stack the box and force Kyler to throw to beat them. If that does occur I would expect to see Kyler take a lot more deep shots and outside the hashes throws (with all the traffic in the box). Good thing he’s elite at both of those throws.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed I disagree we might actually run a bit more, or at least a bit better. I am one who thinks Drake has been leaving yards out there, holes he's not getting to fast enough. He had gotten better the last 2 games but is now hurt. I think Chase will hit those holes, and if Maxx is back and he's the Maxx we saw last year, there will even more chances for Chase, and Kyler to exploit those holes/

That then hopefully leads to the big plays downfield because teams are afraid of the runs.

I think it was SF last year where we ran a play where the RB and Maxx basically were lead blockers for Kyler on a long run, that was Kyler last year, Kyler this year might house that run.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two things:

Oops, yeah Chase.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. Drake's injury.

I mostly agree. It seems the play calling has already changed the last 2 weeks with more downfield throws.

I don't think we are giving Nuk enough targets, even though he is the catch leader.

I would also like to get kyler more designed runs at least against good teams, he is just the ultimate weapon.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose