The Trade Deadline

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The draft picks taken in 2021 are going to be key when they pay Kyler half a billion. They will be going into year 2 or 3 and hopefully replacing expensive players.
I get that, but if he's this good right now, he needs to have veteran talent around him, with a few young guns sprinkled in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Not sure I see the fit in a 3-4 that clearly prioritizes big bodies along the line.

SEA runs a 4-3. He slots in at DE in a 4-3. This is a solid upgrade from them over LJ Collier or Mayowa

Dunlap's production has been way down this year in Cincy (he did have 9 sacks last year on a less competitive team), so maybe age is catching up

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Cincy should get a decent draft choice for Dunlop. They should stockpile draft choices for 2021 and build the team's Oline and Defense. I have been quite impressed with Burrows.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope you guys realize we don’t need to go all in. We’re not a veteran team like the 2015 team nor are we a team with a limited QB like Jared Goff & the Rams.

no but if you can a player on the cheap you do it.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I hope you guys realize we don’t need to go all in. We’re not a veteran team like the 2015 team nor are we a team with a limited QB like Jared Goff & the Rams.

I am confused by your post. Are you saying that we are not experienced enough to win the Super Bowl?

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I’m saying we don’t need to give up a lot of draft capital to make it seem like we’re in “win now” mode. This isn’t 2015 where we were old at key positions & needed to go all in ASAP.
gotcha.

Wanderer

Veteran
Reaction score
I do not see anything on the trade horizon that is going to be worth it at this point. The Golden trade was nice, that was a big need, but I do not see the value in anyone else in term of draft picks and cap space.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind us trading for someone like Phillip Lindsay. He's still on his rookie contract.

Phillip isn't going anywhere, especially with Gordon and his DUI. The fans love him in the Denver area and would not go over well.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah but we do need to retain young players like Reddick.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Kyler’s rookie deal is our best asset. We probably have to extend him after next year (before his 4th season). That will completely change our financial landscape. That doesn’t mean we have to go all-in, but it certainly is a point in favor of pushing hard now and for next season.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the trade question really depends on how you see next years draft.

On the one hand, draft picks might be more valuable with the cap decrease, on the other it's going to be much more of a crap shoot than ever. Especially outside round 1.

The middle ground might be to look for under utilized players or guys playing below potential who are still on rookie deals.

As an example, Oshane Ximines at the Giants. Was a round 3 pick last year and had 4.5 sacks as a rookie on 45% of snaps.

They changed coaches and scheme this year and he's only played 22% of snaps. Has ideal size for OLB. Giants suck. Offer a 4th and you have a guy who has shown something in the NFL and still has 2.5 years left on a rookie deal.

Maybe they look for him to replace Golden but this is just an example.

Last edited:

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the trade question really depends on how you see next years draft.

On the one hand, draft picks might be more valuable with the cap decrease, on the other it's going to be much more of a crap shoot than ever. Especially outside round 1.

The middle ground might be to look for under utilized players or guys playing below potential who are still on rookie deals.

As an example, Oshane Ximines at the Giants. Was a round 3 pick last year and had 4.5 sacks as a rookie on 45% of snaps.

They changed coaches and scheme this year and he's only played 22% of snaps. Has ideal size for OLB. Giants suck. Offer a 4th and you have a guy who has shown something in the NFL and still has 2.5 years left on a rookie deal.

Maybe they look for him to replace Golden but this is just an example.

Several other comments have been along this same line. I agree. We need to surround KM with young cost-controlled talent as he approaches the end of his rookie deal---I can't even imagine what KM will expect/demand. Just take a look at the Mahomes contract---a half a billion dollars to lock him in.

Some teams take the approach to sign their vets while their franchise QB is still on his rookie contract. I'd rather gather young talent (with some proven NFL ability) as we near KM's payroll buster deal. That will still leave some pennies in the bank for all the other player moves necessary to stay competitive. We don't want to end up with tons of money going to vets who are no longer living up to the high-priced deal they signed while KM was still developing.