OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is easy. The net effect of that debacle was our kicker got iced. But KK didnt ice him. His decision to call the TO was necessary once all the other buffoonery had happened. He called it, Gonzo missed his second try, net effect; iced. Now stop arguing about it.

ummm no

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok. I say I Agree with both sides. Once KK called the timeout and it was 2nd down. You send the offense back out there to clear the kicker. If he had missed the kick. Then probably send them out there knowing what to fix. But how many times have we seen a guy make it and then miss the next. So KK should have put the offense out there and run a screen or draw or a run up the middle to just get continuity back. He didn’t ice his kicker on purpose but by leaving him out there. He iced his kicker.

That it makes the game highlight reel doesn't mean it's a regular occurrence. It does, however, reinforce the "ice" the kicker storyline. I would imagine every kicker in a game-deciding situation anticipates a time-out.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
From the mouth of the head coach of the Cardinals:
"It was pretty bad, pretty much a complete debacle," Kingsbury said of the series of plays that led up to his icing Gonzalez. "But luckily, those guys bailed us out. I got conservative and went for the field goal, and then we did not execute our center-left play, get our quarterback blown up, and then we were about to get a delay of game and had to take a timeout, kind of freeze our own kicker.
I rest my case. :D

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the mouth of the head coach of the Cardinals:
I rest my case. :D
Nah he prevented a penalty. No freezing no more no less. The players not being professional enough to get on the field and execute a kick before the clock runs out is the main problem still not freezing. ;)

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Who cares whether he was iced or not. The screw up was the decision to kick it. The national hosts are just doing their typical drive by analysis.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
KK’s brain meltingly stupid decision to kick on second down and his failure to have his team ready to kick the field goal before time ran out forced him to call timeout.

bottom line is his balls shriveling up in that moment forced him to call a TO and that iced the kicker. It’s not a question of did he “purposely” ice the kicker. The end result of botching that plan meant he did anyway.

Besides all this an assistant coach had to tell him to call the TO or else they would have gotten the delay of game penalty. It seems he decided last second to kick the FG because if he had planned it, he should have had the FG team ready to go as soon as the play was over.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just don’t understand the people who refuse to see how much of a cluster that sequence was and are defending it.

Because largely, it isn't that big of a deal. Coaches/QBs needing to call TO because they change their mind on a play or don't get setup in time usually happens multiple times per game.

The 2nd down kick was the worst part about the call, but you can at least rationalize it. The play before, they just lost yardage. They weren't going to throw there, so it is possible/likely that another run loses more yardage. Do I like the 2nd down kick? No way. It wasn't a cluster like you say.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
They didn’t? Obviously the team didn’t communicate quickly enough, didn’t set up quickly enough, and didn’t snap the ball in time forcing them to call time out as our kicker made the kick. Then after the timeout the kicker botched it. Obviously, it wasn’t intentional but that is the very definition of icing a kicker.
Hold on there buckaroo, you seem to forget the kicker is part of the offense taking too much time to set up... so you are saying the kicker iced himself :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because largely, it isn't that big of a deal. Coaches/QBs needing to call TO because they change their mind on a play or don't get setup in time usually happens multiple times per game.

The 2nd down kick was the worst part about the call, but you can at least rationalize it. The play before, they just lost yardage. They weren't going to throw there, so it is possible/likely that another run loses more yardage. Do I like the 2nd down kick? No way. It wasn't a cluster like you say.

It resulted in missing icing our kicker and making him hit the field goal Twice and then he MISSED, giving the Hawks great field position and could have cost us the entire game.

The Sunday night football crew said it was a problem, every highlight clip called it a massive screw up... our QB questioned the whole Cluster... helleven OUR COACH called it a debacle. I mean... good god... the inability for people to ever just admit they’re wrong is mind boggling.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It resulted in missing icing our kicker and making him hit the field goal Twice and then he MISSED, giving the Hawks great field position and could have cost us the entire game.

The Sunday night football crew said it was a problem, every highlight clip called it a massive screw up... our QB questioned the whole Cluster... helleven OUR COACH called it a debacle. I mean... good god... the inability for people to ever just admit they’re wrong is mind boggling.

It has nothing to do with admitting wrong. It has to do with being hyperbolic because of one play. Yeah the coach said he 'iced the kicker,' but he doesn't know the definition. Just like many posters here.

Nobody would be talking about this if he missed the first one and made the 2nd.

People can't be happy, or even content being a top team in the league and the top team in our division.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
In hindsight I’m kind of glad we missed that FG as it gave Simmons a chance to make a huge play. That could easily be a catalyst to him getting more playing time.