The Unnecessary Roughness Penalty

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was a good call.

Wagner was headhunting on the play and took a big shot on a defenseless receiver.

isnt there a penalty called hitting a defenseless receiver or something like that? Announcers seemed to think it was okay, I remember the cardinals getting flagged for it quite a bit when they made that illegal.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
isnt there a penalty called hitting a defenseless receiver or something like that? Announcers seemed to think it was okay, I remember the cardinals getting flagged for it quite a bit when they made that illegal.
It is all about timing. If he still has his hands on the ball then it’s a good hit, but if the ball is gone and the hit comes after it becomes illegal. It was kind of a bang bang play. If the hit came a fraction of a second sooner it would likely have not been called.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i thought it was marginal, but i have also seen similar plays called

i thought it was pretty clear that the pass was incomplete -- and didnt buy that Wagner didnt know if the ball was caught or not

IMO: he knew it was incomplete, because if he thought it was complete, he would have wrapped up (as Seahawks are famously taught).

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
i thought it was marginal, but i have also seen similar plays called

i thought it was pretty clear that the pass was incomplete -- and didnt buy that Wagner didnt know if the ball was caught or not

IMO: he knew it was incomplete, because if he thought it was complete, he would have wrapped up (as Seahawks are famously taught).

But it's not egregious like many are making it out.

Wagner took the chance to light up Arnold. The NFL is policing this stuff out of the game.

Sure it was bang bang, but many of these plays are. The fact that Wagner wanted to take that shot is the problem in the first place.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

CGRSIS

Chris Collins worth hates the Cardinals always roots against them. Not partial at all he wanted the Cards to lose always trashes them and never picks them to win.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Because Wagner was already committed. Assume he catches the ball, if Wagner pulls up then the receiver goes right by him.

The rules analyst agrees it was a bad call.

It was the force of the hit on a defenseless receiver.

An appeal to authority doesn't change that fact.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was the force of the hit on a defenseless receiver.

An appeal to authority doesn't change that fact.

Lol. It is the authority that makes the rules. The expert on the rules called it a bad call.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was a bad call.

We all know we would be furious if that happened to us.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Bad call. But glad the call went the Cards way. There’d be a 15 page thread on how bad it was by now if it had been called on the Cardinals.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Go back and watch it again: Bobby’s head literally watches the ball hit the turf and bounce up, then his head redirects at Arnold, he takes another step, and the puts a shoulder into Dans back between the scapulas.

it was absolutely a good call. That’s exactly why they have the rule in the first place, for exactly what Bobby did.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Go back and watch it again: Bobby’s head literally watches the ball hit the turf and bounce up, then his head redirects at Arnold, he takes another step, and the puts a shoulder into Dans back between the scapulas.

it was absolutely a good call. That’s exactly why they have the rule in the first place, for exactly what Bobby did.
He was already committed to making the play. People forget the speed at which these guys play. He just can’t stop on a dime. I loved the call. But it was not a good call.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
He was already committed to making the play. People forget the speed at which these guys play. He just can’t stop on a dime. I loved the call. But it was not a good call.

I know the speed of the game, and that’s my point: Bobby had plenty of time to let up. If it was .25-.5 seconds earlier, he would have “gotten away” with it. He was just late with the excuse you’re trying to give him.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The ball went past him and his arm was down when hit in the back, hence a defenseless player getting hit in the back and such hit is not only reserved for a head shot. Put it this way, if a QB slides which you did not anticipate and still hit him, it's still a penalty. Not saying the rule is right but those are the rules

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
BS call. Luckily they missed on the Budda helmet to helmet as well.

How often can we say we got the benefit of calls vs Seattle?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was a good call.

Wagner was headhunting on the play and took a big shot on a defenseless receiver.

Live I did. After watchign the replay a few times I was less confident. It looked worse than it was because he hit up high in the pads so the head of the receiver moved more than normal

But in the interest of safety that's a call you can defend