2020 Draft

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
He does remind me of Davon Reed. In fact, Reed might have snuck into the late first round in this draft.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He does remind me of Davon Reed. In fact, Reed might have snuck into the late first round in this draft.

And busted to the point of being out of the league within 2 years...again...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are sites (most notably nbadraft.net) that project Bane not to be drafted at all.

He is a one trick pony. He can shoot, and nothing else, and his low and not particularly quick release, combined with his lack of athleticism and ball handling ability, suggests strongly that this one skill he does have won't translate to the NBA.

Davon Reed, part deux.

The Tankathon mock has Desmond Bane going 26. It was updated a day ago.

NBA Draft Net was last updated 10-19-20.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Riller can create so I might be more concerned about Bane's low release on shot.

Yeah Bane’s mechanics look pretty bad. I like Bane but don’t want him on the Suns.

I think Riller would an equal reach at #10 that Cam was at #11 (in real time).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah Bane’s mechanics look pretty bad. I like Bane but don’t want him on the Suns.

I think Riller would an equal reach at #10 that Cam was at #11 (in real time).

I'd be super disappointed if the Suns chose either at 10.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
There are sites (most notably nbadraft.net) that project Bane not to be drafted at all.

The problem is that instead of thinking for yourself you are just a nbadraft.net parrot. That’s why over the summer you were all for drafting Carey jr at #10 because nbadraft.net had him severely overvalued, and then when they finally got around to dropping him, you stopped mentioning him. On the other side you were anti Killian Hayes because nbadraft.net had him ranked lower, but became a fan as soon as they raised him up on their mock. Nbadraft.net is a great resource, but they are famously flawed on their player rankings.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The problem is that instead of thinking for yourself you are just a nbadraft.net parrot. That’s why over the summer you were all for drafting Carey jr at #10 because nbadraft.net had him severely overvalued, and then when they finally got around to dropping him, you stopped mentioning him. On the other side you were anti Killian Hayes because nbadraft.net had him ranked lower, but became a fan as soon as they raised him up on their mock. Nbadraft.net is a great resource, but they are famously flawed on their player rankings.

I don't have Bane in the 60s or 70s prospect wise the way nbadraft.net does. I just don't have him in the first round, either. His ceiling, ironically enough, is as a shooting guard version of James Jones. Potentially a decent 8th or 9th guy off the bench, but we need a lot more than that, and again I have concerns with how his game will translate to the NBA.

As for Carey, I have always been looking for a good combination of size, strength and skill at the 4. The problem with him is that as I reviewed tape, I noticed a lack of athleticism and lateral movement. His game definitely won't translate to today's NBA, unless he plays center.

To my knowledge, Hayes has always been a Top 10-ish prospect everywhere, including nbadraft.net. As always, I think there could be value with him, but he is definitely a project and likely doesn't help the Suns much for at least a year or two.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Consensus mock drafts have Hayes going outside the lottery, so the Suns can have him of they want him. But why would the Suns want him? Hayes is a taller Elie Okobo. No thanks (though I would take him over Nico Mannion, who in my opinion looks to be a poor man's Jimmer Fredette)...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reed knee problems kept him out of the league not his talent

Agreed. If he'd have been a half step quicker he had a chance to become a star but as it was, he had borderline NBA speed and would likely never have been more than a quality player off the bench. An injury prior to the start of his rookie campaign cost him even more in the speed and hops department and that was it. I don't know if he had more injuries after that one but he was just too slow for the NBA by that time.

Despite the way it's played up now he was not a particularly bad pick at the time unless you just want to write off any player with a previous injury history. Davon had already had meniscus surgery while in college. For me though, after Bledsoe and now Reed, I've finally reached the point where I'd stay away from players with serious injury histories. That's why I'm torn on what to do with Oubre now and why I wouldn't pursue Aaron Gordon.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Agreed. If he'd have been a half step quicker he had a chance to become a star but as it was, he had borderline NBA speed and would likely never have been more than a quality player off the bench. An injury prior to the start of his rookie campaign cost him even more in the speed and hops department and that was it. I don't know if he had more injuries after that one but he was just too slow for the NBA by that time.

Despite the way it's played up now he was not a particularly bad pick at the time unless you just want to write off any player with a previous injury history. Davon had already had meniscus surgery while in college. For me though, after Bledsoe and now Reed, I've finally reached the point where I'd stay away from players with serious injury histories. That's why I'm torn on what to do with Oubre now and why I wouldn't pursue Aaron Gordon.

And Bane is as slow and unathletic as post-injury Reed.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

And at the time nbadraft.net had Mannion going top 10.

I have since seen further film on Hayes to convince me he is a better passer, decision maker and defender than Okobo. He is still a project, though.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have since seen further film on Hayes to convince me he is a better passer, decision maker and defender than Okobo. He is still a project, though.

I thought Mannion played himself off of everyone's top 10 draft list after the first week or two of the season?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Mannion played himself off of everyone's top 10 draft list after the first week or two of the season?

The Tankathon mock has Mannion going #33. For a non-subscription service, it's my favorite.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Tankathon mock has Mannion going #33. For a non-subscription service, it's my favorite.

Just realize they don't have Riller going until Pick 46, so as much of a reach at 10 Bane would be. .

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just realize they don't have Riller going until Pick 46, so as much of a reach at 10 Bane would be. .

I don't think Bane is going at 10. It would likely be a trade down if the Suns went that direction.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think Bane is going at 10. It would likely be a trade down if the Suns went that direction.

The trade down would have to be at least as far as 25-30 for the pick not to be an absolute laugher. And even then, this team needs a starting power forward and primary backups for at least two positions off the bench before picking a guy whose ceiling is as a third string shooting guard.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Bane is an odd prospect.

NBA body, but not NBA athleticism.
NBA shooter, but not an NBA scorer.
NBA passer (for a SG), but not NBA handles.

He seems to have great court IQ, which is evident on D and on P&R. But he could never run an offense with those handles.

A better passing PJ Tucker? I honestly don't know.

It's not all that important on WHERE he's drafted, but rather on WHO we passed to take him. Going by Tankathon's mock draft, I'd rather have Azubuike or Oturu at #26 than Bane. But I wouldn't get bent out of shape over it. (Seriously, why is Oturu getting no love in this draft?)

NOW if we draft him at #10, THEN I will get bent of shape. Because we will have passed on a lot of other guys I'd rather have.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Exactly my point.... being a UofA fan you actually watched Mannion, instead of just pretending like you knew what you were talking about because you read a bio or two.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Exactly my point.... being a UofA fan you actually watched Mannion, instead of just pretending like you knew what you were talking about because you read a bio or two.

I also saw a lot of Terry and Bane, because they televise a lot of Pac 12 and Big 12 games here.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Bane is an odd prospect.

He seems to have great court IQ, which is evident on D and on P&R. But he could never run an offense with those handles.

It's not all that important on WHERE he's drafted, but rather on WHO we passed to take him. Going by Tankathon's mock draft, I'd rather have Azubuike or Oturu at #26 than Bane. But I wouldn't get bent out of shape over it. (Seriously, why is Oturu getting no love in this draft?)

NOW if we draft him at #10, THEN I will get bent of shape. Because we will have passed on a lot of other guys I'd rather have.
I’m in a similar boat. There are just so many better options at #10. Grabbing a career backup SG around #26 would be easier to swallow, although, if we end up with a late 1st, I would much rather spend it on a backup center since I think there will be a couple good one available (like the ones you mentioned).

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bane is an odd prospect.

No different than passing on Clarke, Herro and Washington for Cam Johnson...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bane is an odd prospect.

I don't have interest in Bane or Riller as an early pick. There are a lot of players I like better.

The primary reason they get talked about is that they are brought up by the media. Also the Cam Johnson pick came out of nowhere in the last draft so everyone is looking for a more obscure pick. Instead of trading down in the draft maybe the Suns are looking to buy a late first or a second round pick. Also the idea of trading with Boston offers some intriguing options.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose