Suns need to be more athletic in 2021

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wanted to follow-up on a couple of the five players you mentioned using NBA Draft Net as a source.

Cam Payne scored a 7 in the athleticism category in their draft mock analysis.

Jevon Carter scored a 7 in the athleticism category as well.

Yet Devin Booker graded out an 8 in athleticism using the same source.

There are other categories to consider such as size, defense, strength, quickness, leaping ability, leadership, jump shot and ball handling. Athleticism can't be viewed in a vacuum.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/devin-booker/

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/cameron-payne/

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/jevon-carter/

Carter and Payne probably scored that low because they have elite quickness but nothing else. They are Saric-like in terms of inability to get off the ground. They are also clumsy with the ball in their hands, which is probably why they were scored so lowly on quickness as well, despite the fact that both have far more speed for their position than Booker does. Booker is just average or below average across the board athletically. He has elite skills and unparalleled craftiness, but he doesn't have elite anything in terms of pure athleticism.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carter and Payne probably scored that low because they have elite quickness but nothing else. They are Saric-like in terms of inability to get off the ground. They are also clumsy with the ball in their hands, which is probably why they were scored so lowly on quickness as well, despite the fact that both have far more speed for their position than Booker does. Booker is just average or below average across the board athletically. He has elite skills and unparalleled craftiness, but he doesn't have elite anything in terms of pure athleticism.

After awhile, it's not worth the discussion.

Here are a couple of definitions of athletic. See below.

Tell me where Booker is 'just average or below average across the board athletically.'

Don't just say it, define it. Some dictionaries might want to know.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/athletic?s=t

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/athletic

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
After awhile, it's not worth the discussion.

Here are a couple of definitions of athletic. See below.

Tell me where Booker is 'just average or below average across the board athletically.'

Don't just say it, define it. Some dictionaries might want to know.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/athletic?s=t

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/athletic

Relatively slow overall, doesn't have quick feet, can't jump well, can't change directions exceptionally quickly, isn't particularly strong. On defense, he also doesn't have long arms to make up for it the way Bridges does.

Again, he is off the charts in terms of skill and craftiness (not unlike Steve Nash), but there are several shooting guards who are better athletes.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Relatively slow overall, doesn't have quick feet, can't jump well, can't change directions exceptionally quickly, isn't particularly strong. On defense, he also doesn't have long arms to make up for it the way Bridges does.

Again, he is off the charts in terms of skill and craftiness (not unlike Steve Nash), but there are several shooting guards who are better athletes.

As I recall Devin Booker did quite well in agility drills before the draft and showed good lateral movement. Booker may not be the biggest jumper in the building but he jumps quite well. The idea that you think Booker could be below average athletically is unbelievable.

Of course there are guards who are better athletes. No one said Booker was the most athletic guard in the NBA.

Last edited:

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As I recall Devin Booker didn't quite well in agility drills before the draft and showed good lateral movement. Booker may not be the biggest jumper in the building but he jumps quite well. The idea that you think Booker could be below average athletically is unbelievable.

Of course there are guards who are better athletes. No one said Booker was the most athletic guard in the NBA.

Interesting to look back at these:

https://www.nbadraft.net/2015-nba-draft-combine-athleticism-test-results/

It's obviously not a "who's who" of NBA athletes but, unless I am missing something, Booker scores higher in shuttle and lane agility than anyone else. His shuttle and agility are much better than Terry Rozier, Cam Payne, Tyus Jones, Norman Powell and Kelly Oubre. His 3/4 sprint is similar to most of those. The only area where his athleticism is average to below average is in leaping numbers.

Of course, Devin Booker was super young when these scores were taken (I believe the youngest prospect that year). He has clearly outworked everyone else since then and you can see it on the court. He was rarely dunking when he came into the league and now he has several explosive "poster" dunks. He's still not an elite leaper and his defensive lateral agility will probably never be top-notch, but in most other ways you can be an "athlete", he's remarkable imo.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I recall Devin Booker did quite well in agility drills before the draft and showed good lateral movement. Booker may not be the biggest jumper in the building but he jumps quite well. The idea that you think Booker could be below average athletically is unbelievable.

Defenders have often been surprised by how quickly Devin gets up AND how high he actually jumps on those mid range shots. His reaction time on defense is improving but it's still a little slow which IMO a lot of people mistake for lack of quickness and athleticism.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Defenders have often been surprised by how quickly Devin gets up AND how high he actually jumps on those mid range shots. His reaction time on defense is improving but it's still a little slow which IMO a lot of people mistake for lack of quickness and athleticism.

Playing defense is mostly about effort. Booker puts a lot of effort into playing offense and running the team. It's easy to see him improving his defense as he gets more help. At times Booker has to carry the team so it takes a lot out of him. I expect his situation defense to improve especially like at the end of games.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker is also quite strong for a combo guard. He muscles his way into the paint regularly for good shots and finishes through contact regularly. Anyone who says he has below average strength indicates they don't watch him much.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker is also quite strong for a combo guard. He muscles his way into the paint regularly for good shots and finishes through contact regularly. Anyone who says he has below average strength indicates they don't watch him much.

Yeah, we've seen that complaint several times and I have to wonder what they are watching. And who they are listening to. Eddie Johnson never wastes an opportunity to rave about Booker's physicality and strength.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Jalen Lecque is a physical freak. You also have to have the skills to get on the court as well.