I bought a guitar

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One last thing. I don't like fumbling for my phone when I just want a metronome pulse so I bought one of those old school ones like this. Simple, quick, and no BS.

OK boss, I'll try your suggestion. I did buy an old school metronome like yours. The bummer is that the chime for the '1' beat isn't loud enough and there's no way to turn it up.

I'll give that app a try too. I tried the speed changer on YouTube but the sound was so bad I quit doing that.

You're the man!

Edit to add.. I have a Vox that I use with headphones. I'll use input and put metronome app through there and see if that works.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK boss, I'll try your suggestion. I did buy an old school metronome like yours. The bummer is that the chime for the '1' beat isn't loud enough and there's no way to turn it up.

I'll give that app a try too. I tried the speed changer on YouTube but the sound was so bad I quit doing that.

You're the man!

Edit to add.. I have a Vox that I use with headphones. I'll use input and put metronome app through there and see if that works.

It's worth a try and I don't really see a downside. My wife tried to tell me early on in my journey it would help but I was stubborn for years. As usual, she was right and now I'm in here sounding like an evangelist for metronomes! She'll love this story when I get home. :D

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Free metronome to download: https://www.nch.com.au/metronome/index.html
I use this one since it has both a visual and audio. Just pretend you're playing along with Ringo Starr holding the beat.

Dirk's Guitar Tuner is really accurate. My old acoustic never sounded better than when I tune with this free program. A metronome also available at this site. Scroll all the way to the bottom for the Guitar tuner:
https://www.dirksprojects.com/index.php?Source=DirksGuitar34Splash

Also, some people are meant to play rhythm, some meant to play lead. I always had a problem with rhytm since I was trying to hear the lead or melody line within the chord strumming. Try fingerpicking style lessons---you are playing a few notes instead of
keeping the overall rhythm pattern going.

This is a complex sounding song but is a up/down pattern while plucking individual notes. Give it a try---I bet your can master this. Here Comes the Sun:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: Wife loved the story. She's so cute, she doesn't even give me an "I told you so," she's just happy that it helped and hopes it helps Mr YB. I don't deserve her.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: Wife loved the story. She's so cute, she doesn't even give me an "I told you so," she's just happy that it helped and hopes it helps Mr YB. I don't deserve her.

I tried inputting the metronome from my phone into the Vox last night and it worked really well. It's going to help, I can tell already.

I'll give it a go learning the song from the video... I'll get back to you in 2 years on that... lol

I don't deserve my long suffering wife either. She totally takes care of me. I have a feeling she wants to get me a looper for Christmas... she's been sort of asking questions. I have no idea about them either. Please post a link for those when you get a chance. Are they like what those dudes at airports playing sax do.. it will play a backing tracks?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the RC-3 by Boss and it's never given me an issue. There are many various brands that all offer similar functionality, but Boss has been tried and true for the people I interact with. I like that you can load songs onto it via USB to play along with and that it has some beats and meter options as well. Using a looper will require patience because timing is critical to be successful, but that in and of itself is great training.

https://www.boss.info/us/products/rc-3/

I also recommend the separate Boss FS-7 footswitch that adds two more controls that make life easier.

https://www.boss.info/us/products/fs-7/

Here's a decent vid that gives a broad overview but there are loads of videos demonstrating all of the various looper options out there.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Free metronome to download: https://www.nch.com.au/metronome/index.html
I use this one since it has both a visual and audio. Just pretend you're playing along with Ringo Starr holding the beat.

Dirk's Guitar Tuner is really accurate. My old acoustic never sounded better than when I tune with this free program. A metronome also available at this site. Scroll all the way to the bottom for the Guitar tuner:
https://www.dirksprojects.com/index.php?Source=DirksGuitar34Splash

Also, some people are meant to play rhythm, some meant to play lead. I always had a problem with rhytm since I was trying to hear the lead or melody line within the chord strumming. Try fingerpicking style lessons---you are playing a few notes instead of
keeping the overall rhythm pattern going.

This is a complex sounding song but is a up/down pattern while plucking individual notes. Give it a try---I bet your can master this. Here Comes the Sun:

Good call on that video but it might be a little advanced for YB right now. Never hurts to try, though! The Shut Up and Play guy is an excellent player and teacher. I've used him to learn many songs on guitar. I am also partial to a good Canadian accent. ;) Don't be afraid to check out his library of lessons on his channel and his website.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

Good advice for us all!

He's one of those guys that got sick of all the YouTube guitar tutorials where the guys would blather on and on before they got to the instruction portion of the vids. His channel was born from getting straight to point. He isn't into being 'YT famous.' In fact, I don't think I've ever seen his face. He always wears black on a black background so it just looks like these disembodied hands getting to work on the 6-string.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Just coming over here for a look-see...

Full disclosure: I've been playing piano since I was 4, trombone since I was 9, have a bachelor's degree in Music, yada yada...however, what I want now, is to get one of these, and learn how to play it:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Full disclosure: I've been playing piano since I was 4, trombone since I was 9, have a bachelor's degree in Music, yada yada...however, what I want now, is to get one of these, and learn how to play it:

Wow! :thud:

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Holy Mackerel! Never seen one of those before. Many moons ago, I think I remember you telling me you played the trombone. I posted a video in response that was the best solo I had ever heard on trombone. From an old Louie Prima/Keely Smith album my parents had back in the '60s. @puckhead might enjoy it. Sorry to bore you if you've heard it before... or you can critique it... haha

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy Mackerel! Never seen one of those before. Many moons ago, I think I remember you telling me you played the trombone. I posted a video in response that was the best solo I had ever heard on trombone. From an old Louie Prima/Keely Smith album my parents had back in the '60s. @puckhead might enjoy it. Sorry to bore you if you've heard it before... or you can critique it... haha

The 'bone is definitely my favorite labrophone. This one sounds great to my untrained ears. :thumbup:

TruColor

Reaction score

Nicely done.

Probably my favorite trombonist of all time is actually a friend of mine from my days at North Texas. Here's an old, crappy quality vid of Chris Seiter playing a blues solo in Db:

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nicely done.

Probably my favorite trombonist of all time is actually a friend of mine from my days at North Texas. Here's an old, crappy quality vid of Chris Seiter playing a blues solo in Db:

Nice solo, Db, ha... horn players and their screwy keys!

Great to have you chime in. We get something other than me whining! I suck!

TruColor

Reaction score
Just thought I'd drop this as well...I'm actually in this one...this was a big concert on the main stage at Montreux way back in '89. I should mention that Van kicked off the wrong tune at one point...kind of a disaster for a big band.

You can see me a couple of times...trombonist with the cheesy mustache closest to the rhythm section.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd drop this as well...I'm actually in this one...this was a big concert on the main stage at Montreux way back in '89. I should mention that Van kicked off the wrong tune at one point...kind of a disaster for a big band.

You can see me a couple of times...trombonist with the cheesy mustache closest to the rhythm section.

That's awesome!

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I got Van playing non-stop when I sit at the PC and work. Really cool (shows how old I am) that you performed on stage with this musical genius. Guess I get to casually comment that I know a guy who played in the horn section (I won't mention that I only read your posts on a message forum.)

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Speaking for myself---I had a long learning curve with the guitar. I have an analytical approach and tackled guitar in the same fashion I would use for those tasks. It finally clicked for me when I realized music is coming from the other part of the brain. You got to get the basics---chords, how to hold the instrument, etc---but after that you need to release that analytical control of the process and go with da FEELIN'.

I think it is a big reason small children can pick up music---if we let them. I think it is also a reason that so many musical greats get sucked into drug abuse---they got to slide into that FEELIN' to speak through their music.

Do a search on Youtube for "30 Songs with 3 chords" (or some combination.) A lot of pop music has a simple combination of the G-C-D chords. Pick a title that you know---but don't look up the video or the sheet music. What strumming pattern do you FEEL (not a rote DDDUDU etc)? What is tempo that you FEEL (not the tick-tick of a metronome), etc. Sing the tune (aloud or in your head)---where do you FEEL a chord change?

It might take some getting used to---stop analyzing and start FEELING the flow. You got those basic chord changes down---not start FEELIN what you want to play.

Mr. Yeahbut---what is your work background? Are you working in a position that requires analytical precision over everything else?

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mr. Yeahbut---what is your work background? Are you working in a position that requires analytical precision over everything else?

I'm not an analytical person... more like paranoid that I want to do it right. I do tend to overthink things. Even though I do them fairly well, it's the same when speaking Spanish or playing golf, instead of just letting it flow, I get too mechanical. With the guitar, I'm still learning the basics but I completely get what you mean. I hear things in my head but I'm just not able to execute it yet.

Thanks for your input!!

TruColor

Reaction score
I got Van playing non-stop when I sit at the PC and work. Really cool (shows how old I am) that you performed on stage with this musical genius. Guess I get to casually comment that I know a guy who played in the horn section (I won't mention that I only read your posts on a message forum.)

I feel the need to brag about some of the other guys in that band. The lead Tenor Sax player is Jeff Coffin - currently touring with Dave Matthews Band, and there are at least 4 future Maynard Ferguson alumni, along with Karolyn Kafer who played in the Doc Severensen Band. Tony Pia (drums) is a former Brian Setzer Orchestra and Doobie Brothers member. A lot of good players in that band.

TruColor

Reaction score
Oh - one more brag (!): me and one of the sax players went over with Van and Georgie Fame (the other part of the concert - they toured together) to one of the hotels after the gig, and the four of us jammed with the hotel band until around 2:00 AM. A lot of fun.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose