Kyler is still playing better than you think

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Give the kid full credit for turning it around and leading us to the win, but he was absolute garbage to open the game against a woeful Cowgirl defense. When I say garbage, that isn't an exaggeration--he was awful. If, as many say, it was because he was too hyped, well, you're a professional QB in the NFL son--you don't get that luxury. You have to have it between the ears to be an NFL QB. If we weren't playing the Cowgirls, we would've been absolutely buried before he turned it around. Gotta learn much sooner rather than later, does our young QB.

That said, when he finally settled down, he really did turn it around. Looked like he showed some solid leadership in doing so, too. He has so many tools to succeed in the NFL, and I hope he'll take us to the promised land.

All true, and this has been a problem outside this game. The only opening drive we have scored on is vs Washington.

We were total garbage in the first half vs the Niners. Total garbage the first half vs the Panthers. Pretty garbage first half vs the Lions on an 11 game losing streak (INT, TD, INT, TD).

The Jets are the Jets and Dallas gave the game away.

Only vs a crappy Washington have we put in a first half performance really. That can't continue on Sunday. It's one of the biggest weaknesses of this team. They are too slow to get started and they can't come back from multi scores down. Sadly, against good teams one leads to the other.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s One problem with comparing Kyler with any Other qb like Wilson.

We see every second of every game watching Kyler. We see Wilson periodically or we see his highlight reel. We seldom see the bad days unless we are playing the Seahawks.

we want our qb to win games. After that we want a perfect story. Like 24 of 28 for 350 and 3 td’s.

Kyler is winning games. His inefficiencies are being overcome with his legs. That’s okay. Just remember the times we had Wilson trapped and suddenly he scrambles, dips and doodles and either completes an impossible pass or scrambled and made a first down by 2 inches.

That’s what our opponents now face when they play us. To win a game going 9 of 24 is awesome. He is not going to have many games like that.

Don’t worry people. Kyler is going to be just fine.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
All true, and this has been a problem outside this game. The only opening drive we have scored on is vs Washington.

We were total garbage in the first half vs the Niners. Total garbage the first half vs the Panthers. Pretty garbage first half vs the Lions on an 11 game losing streak (INT, TD, INT, TD).

The Jets are the Jets and Dallas gave the game away.

Only vs a crappy Washington have we put in a first half performance really. That can't continue on Sunday. It's one of the biggest weaknesses of this team. They are too slow to get started and they can't come back from multi scores down. Sadly, against good teams one leads to the other.
I still think those ints over the middle of the field has him 2nd guessing himself/or not looking there at all sometimes.

Just gotta get over that hopefully.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
FWIW, Kyler is playing now like I expected him to play his rookie season—keeping the Cards competitive with his legs while making mind-boggling occasional errors as a passer.

I expected him to be a pint-sized Deshaun Watson his rookie season; instead he was like young Aaron Rodgers in beta test.

That’s why it’s so frustrating for me to see him regress as a passer while doing the absolutely lit running stuff that didn’t show up often enough his rookie year.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
FWIW, Kyler is playing now like I expected him to play his rookie season—keeping the Cards competitive with his legs while making mind-boggling occasional errors as a passer.

I expected him to be a pint-sized Deshaun Watson his rookie season; instead he was like young Aaron Rodgers in beta test.

That’s why it’s so frustrating for me to see him regress as a passer while doing the absolutely lit running stuff that didn’t show up often enough his rookie year.
If you were expecting 40+ TDs from him in his rookie year then you were expecting too much. That’s not his or his organization’s fault.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If you were expecting 40+ TDs from him in his rookie year then you were expecting too much. That’s not his or his organization’s fault.
Watson was on pace for 40+ TDs his rookie season.

Regardless, this is just dismissing the entire point that I was making.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watson was on pace for 40+ TDs his rookie season.

Regardless, this is just dismissing the entire point that I was making.

Apparently you can't be happy he is our QB and recognize his obvious issues at the moment. Nothing to see here.

He's on track for 40+ TD's after playing 6 teams in the bottom half of most people's power rankings don't you know. PFT alone has them 17, 19, 24, 26, 30, 32.

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll say I hope Keim isnt passive aggressive on this issue inside the locker room though. If Kyler and the coaches need to spend extra ironing out his issues then so do it.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently you can't be happy he is our QB and recognize his obvious issues at the moment. Nothing to see here.

He's on track for 40+ TD's after playing 6 teams in the bottom half of most people's power rankings don't you know. PFT alone has them 17, 19, 24, 26, 30, 32.

Asking some here of nuanced thought is an exercise in futility.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

True but it's too early. We played SF their defense was essentially almost full strength, the team we beat is nothing like the team the Dolphins dismantled that had a bunch of defensive starters missing.

I'm not saying we're a great offense just 6 games is not enough data to start saying every team we've played is weak on defense, some of them are, not all of them

The good part for me is it's quite obvious we are nowhere near our peak this year on offense, and we're still scoring basically 30PPG. There's clear and obvious room to get better and it doesn't require some dramatic change like having to trade for an elite RB or elite TE or elite LT, the personnel we have is putting up 30PPG and there's clear room to improve on that by simply executing plays that we're missing right now

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
True but it's too early. We played SF their defense was essentially almost full strength, the team we beat is nothing like the team the Dolphins dismantled that had a bunch of defensive starters missing.

I'm not saying we're a great offense just 6 games is not enough data to start saying every team we've played is weak on defense, some of them are, not all of them

The good part for me is it's quite obvious we are nowhere near our peak this year on offense, and we're still scoring basically 30PPG. There's clear and obvious room to get better and it doesn't require some dramatic change like having to trade for an elite RB or elite TE or elite LT, the personnel we have is putting up 30PPG and there's clear room to improve on that by simply executing plays that we're missing right now
Yea TBF 3 of those defenses are top 11 in YPG.

Cowboys and Jets are legit awful though.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Mahomes went to a team with not just a seasoned coach but one of the best QB friendly coaches in the league and they have a much better online than we do.

Kyler is growing along with his coach but both of them are adjusting to the NFL just fine.

There's of course a lot of work to do there always is but I'm excited, because he has MASSIVE potential that isn't all just potential anymore he's starting to do it consistently in games.

That deep pass was pretty, I had no idea he could do that, he went up like 10 notches in my book on that one pass alone, turns out he's done that for years.

Any QB that is as big a threat to run as he is that can make that pass would make me as a DC stay up real late at night without a lot of good feelings about the upcoming game.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
this is an example of where Kyler can take the next step:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have been disappointed in Kyler's play 3 of the last 4 weeks.

With that said I have zero doubt he is going to get much better and is already a top 10 qb now.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a hard time marrying the stats with the team record of only 1 win when Kyler doesn't run. And that was vs the Jets.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose