2020 Draft

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Passing on Kentucky players always makes me queasy. There are four in this draft.

I've heard teams have expressed added interest in Immanuel Quickley.

Depends on the player. Booker, Murray and Fox, absolutely. Not so much Goodwin, Ulis, Monk, the Harrisons and Knight.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on the player. Booker, Murray and Fox, absolutely. Not so much Goodwin, Ulis, Monk, the Harrisons and Knight.

Still I think one looks at Kentucky players twice because of the NBA players they have produced.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It always depends on the player but this is a shaky argument on your part. Are you really suggesting we should pay less attention to high caliber draftees from Kentucky because lesser regarded players from that school have failed to impress?

Monk and Knight are valid arguments in your favor but the other four, not so much. One Harrison wasn't drafted and the other was taken in the middle of the second round, Ulis also went in the second round and Goodwin was drafted 29th. It's a good idea to not draft bad players but highly regarded draftees from Kentucky have typically been solid lottery picks.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Obviously not in the mix at #10, but I’m just excited to see some official measurements.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Obviously not in the mix at #10, but I’m just excited to see some official measurements.

This is impressive, Zeke is 6-10 without shoes and a 7'2" wingspan.

If the Suns trade down, he should be a strong option. He is athletic as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of love by Mike Schmitz for Tyrese Maxey and Tyrese Haliburton.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some new workout video links.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I am not a fan of selecting Maxey for the Suns, but this is a pretty impressive video. The guy seems like a really hard worker and boy, his shooting form is text book.

I don't think it is. His release point is too low and he is pushing his jumpshot a bit.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is. His release point is too low and he is pushing his jumpshot a bit.

Yeah, that's why he's not on my list of 10 players to bring in but if nothing else his defense will keep him in the league for a long time. I'd be fine with drafting him if we can't get one of the bigs we like and assuming obvious guard targets such as Haliburton and Hayes are gone. I'm okay with targeting a backup combo guard although I'd obviously rather trade down to the low teens to do it and even then, I'd probably gamble the pick on a big like Stewart.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score

I am not a fan of selecting Maxey for the Suns, but this is a pretty impressive video. The guy seems like a really hard worker and boy, his shooting form is text book. When all is said and done I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a 10 year career as a scoring combo guard off the bench.
I don't think there's any question the kid can score. I really don't such much debate on that.

The question is, will he be efficient? Can he run an offense unselfishly? There wasn't much evidence from his film that he can. So anyone taking him is HOPING he can, not SEEING he can. Guys like De'Aaron Fox and Collin Sexton had similar questions. Fox shows improvements in running an offense (A:TO is decent), but poor in efficiency (Low 3pt% and FT%). Sexton seems to be more efficient, but horrible at running an offense.

Maxey has both a low 3pt% AND a poor A:TO. Therefore, I don't have a ton of interest in him unless we traded back and all my favorites are gone.

Cons: Inefficient scorer that needs the ball in his hands
Pros: I think you're right Offset, at the very least he'd be an energetic scorer off the bench with defensive upside.

[One more thing, this clip shows great targeting plus a pretty good step back move with ability to separate. However, it also shows his catch and shoot footwork is awful. He's taking an unecessary extra step (Watching some Klay Thompson film can help). ]

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's any question the kid can score. I really don't such much debate on that.

The question is, will he be efficient? Can he run an offense unselfishly? There wasn't much evidence from his film that he can. So anyone taking him is HOPING he can, not SEEING he can. Guys like De'Aaron Fox and Collin Sexton had similar questions. Fox shows improvements in running an offense (A:TO is decent), but poor in efficiency (Low 3pt% and FT%). Sexton seems to be more efficient, but horrible at running an offense.

Maxey has both a low 3pt% AND a poor A:TO. Therefore, I don't have a ton of interest in him unless we traded back and all my favorites are gone.

Cons: Inefficient scorer that needs the ball in his hands
Pros: I think you're right Offset, at the very least he'd be an energetic scorer off the bench with defensive upside.

[One more thing, this clip shows great targeting plus a pretty good step back move with ability to separate. However, it also shows his catch and shoot footwork is awful. He's taking an unecessary extra step (Watching some Klay Thompson film can help). ]

When I was looking at Maxey I kept asking myself if he can play point guard. Based on what I have seen the answer is no much like Archie Goodwin.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoopshype writer Bryan Kalbrosky has Suns drafting Tyrell Terry in latest mock.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was looking at Maxey I kept asking myself if he can play point guard. Based on what I have seen the answer is no much like Archie Goodwin.

He's a combo guard, he can play a little point like other combo guards we have now and have had in recent years. IMO, if we can keep Jevon Carter, we really don't need him. But if we're losing Carter, a trade down for Maxey might make sense.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's a combo guard, he can play a little point like other combo guards we have now and have had in recent years. IMO, if we can keep Jevon Carter, we really don't need him. But if we're losing Carter, a trade down for Maxey might make sense.

Archie Goodwin was considered a point guard/shooting guard as well. The Suns need to keep Carter and I believe they have the option to do so as a restricted free agent. Maxey has a lot of upside but teams can get in trouble when they trade skills for potential.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Archie Goodwin was considered a point guard/shooting guard as well. The Suns need to keep Carter and I believe they have the option to do so as a restricted free agent. Maxey has a lot of upside but teams can get in trouble when they trade skills for potential.

I like Carter a lot (for what he is). And I hope we keep him. But, and you already know what my "but" is, money will decide it IMO. If no one pursues him and we can keep him cheap, he's probably ours for awhile.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Carter a lot (for what he is). And I hope we keep him. But, and you already know what my "but" is, money will decide it IMO. If no one pursues him and we can keep him cheap, he's probably ours for awhile.

I think the qualifying offer on Carter is $1.9 million. Unless another team goes crazy, the Suns should be able to keep him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What do you guys think the max we should pay for Carter if another team makes an offer? I'm leaning towards $3-4 million a year. Ideally that won't happen but I also wouldn't be shocked if the Suns offered him a deal like 4 years/$10-12 million.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think the max we should pay for Carter if another team makes an offer? I'm leaning towards $3-4 million a year. Ideally that won't happen but I also wouldn't be shocked if the Suns offered him a deal like 4 years/$10-12 million.

I'm hoping the Suns don't have competition for Jevon Carter. His stats haven't changed much in two seasons but he is invaluable to the Suns. Maybe something like $2.5 million per season.

For some reason Raul Neto comes to mind. He was paid $1,737,145 last season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some newly released workout videos.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the qualifying offer on Carter is $1.9 million. Unless another team goes crazy, the Suns should be able to keep him.

He's not going to get the big bucks but ESPN put him on their list of top 25 free agents so I'd presume there's a decent market for him. It might not take much to price him out of our range.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's not going to get the big bucks but ESPN put him on their list of top 25 free agents so I'd presume there's a decent market for him. It might not take much to price him out of our range.

It likely depends on who the Suns go after or if they decide to make few changes. If the Suns can't afford Carter (presuming a low market) who can they afford?

I mentioned Raul Neto earlier. He should be a low priced free agent I like.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It likely depends on who the Suns go after or if they decide to make few changes. If the Suns can't afford Carter (presuming a low market) who can they afford?

I mentioned Raul Neto earlier. He should be a low priced free agent I like.

Maxey as a trade down to 18 or so would be a step down in cost (and value, at least for a year or two). Right now, I figure if I know the name of the free agent, they are either on the bargain rack or out of our price range. I'm guessing we'll get to see a few faces from the G League.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson