What happened to Isaiah Simmons?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had to go back now and redraft that #8 pick based on what I've seen so far and what this team needs I might have to go with Kinlaw. He's looked very nice.

Funny because in the Bay Area people are already talking about how raw he is and what a huge dropoff he is from Buckner. I know he's tied for the rookie lead in QB pressures but he has no sacks, on the year 9 tackles total. He's physically impressive which is why he got rated so high, he's huge and athletic, but at least in the games I've seen he has not been all that great. he's playing a ton now due to all the injuries. NFL.com has him with 6 tackles and 7 assists. Rashard Lawrence played in 3 games, a fraction of the snaps that Kinlaw has, and has 1/3 of his tackles.

Kinlaw is better and will be better but I'm not overly impressed yet. The key for him is staying healthy he had injury issues in college and that held him back

He looks like he should be a great player but so far he isn't IMO

Better than Simmons though so far.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Throw a little stats in since I googled it. last 2 games Kinlaw has played 76% of the defensive snaps, he has 2 tackles 2 assists. IN the Rams game he played almost 80% of the snaps, and had 1 assist. In the Dolphins game he was specifically blamed for several mistakes in a game the Dolphins just destroyed them.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That was who I was pushing for. Even over Brown.

Yeah SC is my second favorite college team, and they routinely produce good talent considering how they aren't really that competitive in the SEC.

I didn't want Brown because I read an article that showed how top college DL that test as poorly as he did at the combine have a huge bust rate. Brown has been really good though.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think Reddick is earning himself another contract. Simmons has to find a role and fill it.

I certainly wish he were playing more and better and I'm at the point now I wish we'd taken someone else but even that is hard.

I wanted a WR, either Jeudy or Lamb, to be honest right now if we redrafted it would be hard to NOT at least consider Chase Claypool over either one of those 2. Lamb gets the most chances because Dallas throws the ball alot behind, but he was not much of a factor in our game. Jeudy doesn't have a good QB yet, he's had some flashes, and Claypool obviously has the best situation doesn't have to be the star, established rapist err QB, good team but he's also on a team that might get to a SB so everything he does matters more.

That kid so far looks like a faster Anquan Boldin. He hasn't had the same impact yet but in our offense with his ability to run after the catch my goodness.

Depending on how the season plays out, would you consider signing Reddick to like a 4 year 28 mil deal and then letting Jones walk?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on how the season plays out, would you consider signing Reddick to like a 4 year 28 mil deal and then letting Jones walk?

I don't know hat market is. I'm concerned I love Jones but coming off that injury, at his age, it is a concern.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah SC is my second favorite college team, and they routinely produce good talent considering how they aren't really that competitive in the SEC.

I didn't want Brown because I read an article that showed how top college DL that test as poorly as he did at the combine have a huge bust rate. Brown has been really good though.

Yes, and he gave us problems. I was probably wrong, which is not surprising to me when it comes to the draft.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jones injury doesn’t worry me it’s an upper body injury it’s not like a blew his knee out

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Funny because in the Bay Area people are already talking about how raw he is and what a huge dropoff he is from Buckner. I know he's tied for the rookie lead in QB pressures but he has no sacks, on the year 9 tackles total. He's physically impressive which is why he got rated so high, he's huge and athletic, but at least in the games I've seen he has not been all that great. he's playing a ton now due to all the injuries. NFL.com has him with 6 tackles and 7 assists. Rashard Lawrence played in 3 games, a fraction of the snaps that Kinlaw has, and has 1/3 of his tackles.

Kinlaw is better and will be better but I'm not overly impressed yet. The key for him is staying healthy he had injury issues in college and that held him back

He looks like he should be a great player but so far he isn't IMO

Better than Simmons though so far.

DT is hard for rookies, very few come in and play well right away as there's such a big step up. But Ive been impressed by what I've seen from him. Especially as he was pretty raw coming out of college. He may not have the stats yet but you can see he has the talent and physical ability to be very good in the NFL.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I've thought for a while that they have been relying on Jones to perform too much at his age. I was expecting a drop off this year, maybe 13 sacks, not the garbage we saw before injury. We definitely need a replacement to start to come through behind CJ.

But it's definitely not Reddick. The idea of paying Reddick $7m per year based off one season when he plays 50% of snaps does not appeal. Not least of which is he can never replace Jones. Reddick is a SAM, he's nowhere near got the size or pass rush skills to play bandit/bang linebacker. One of the weakest areas of this roster was that they went into the season without anyone to spell CJ and he had to play 100% of snaps. Which very well might have led to his injury.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
DT is hard for rookies, very few come in and play well right away as there's such a big step up. But Ive been impressed by what I've seen from him. Especially as he was pretty raw coming out of college. He may not have the stats yet but you can see he has the talent and physical ability to be very good in the NFL.
I think the best way to see how he’s doing is team rushing stats. Last season they were giving up 143 yards per game. This season they’re at 121. They had Luke Kuechly last season too.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To be clear that's what I mean when I say he looks like a great player. I don't like the guy but Dick Vitale came up with a saying years ago in basketball, the all airport team, which is guys who look great walking through an airport but don't actually play like it. So far that's Kinlaw IMO, he looks physically like a dominant player, but in games he doesn't perform. He is getting penetration according to the pressure stat being cited, but he's not getting home, getting sacks etc. It would not surprise me if he winds up eventually being a good player, physically he's got it all

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prediction: CJ's next contract team friendly because wants to stay in Arizona.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be clear that's what I mean when I say he looks like a great player. I don't like the guy but Dick Vitale came up with a saying years ago in basketball, the all airport team, which is guys who look great walking through an airport but don't actually play like it. So far that's Kinlaw IMO, he looks physically like a dominant player, but in games he doesn't perform. He is getting penetration according to the pressure stat being cited, but he's not getting home, getting sacks etc. It would not surprise me if he winds up eventually being a good player, physically he's got it all

Kinlaw was also considered very raw coming out. The whole argument with him over Brown was based on upside. He’s not as good as Brown now but eventually one day he might be.

let rookies be rookies and let them develop. Some people was all stars right off the bat

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Good update on Simmons (outside of the title):

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I've thought for a while that they have been relying on Jones to perform too much at his age. I was expecting a drop off this year, maybe 13 sacks, not the garbage we saw before injury. We definitely need a replacement to start to come through behind CJ.

But it's definitely not Reddick. The idea of paying Reddick $7m per year based off one season when he plays 50% of snaps does not appeal. Not least of which is he can never replace Jones. Reddick is a SAM, he's nowhere near got the size or pass rush skills to play bandit/bang linebacker. One of the weakest areas of this roster was that they went into the season without anyone to spell CJ and he had to play 100% of snaps. Which very well might have led to his injury.

$7 mil isn't a big contract, like at all.

If he finishes with 9 sacks, I'd totally throw that at him. Maybe make it 3/21 instead. Gives him a solid pay day, and allows for a guy who could actually grow into the position.

Jones is at the point he might need to be replaced.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Let’s get him in position to make more plays like that. If Vance Joseph is the problem, fire VJ in the offseason

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Kliff owes Simmons his salary this year.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Its quite clear he needs to see the field more.

Put him at safety, he needs to be able to make plays in space

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose