Kyler is still playing better than you think

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He isn't playing at the level that Lamar Jackson or Patrick Mahomes were during their second seasons, but he's still playing better than most of us have given him credit for.

Kliff described Murray's presence in the Cowboys game as "dominant"...I would tend to agree. Kyler constantly kept the chains moving picking up key 3rd downs through his legs. Even if his accuracy suffered, his athleticism more than made up for it.

The numbers don't lie when making the argument that he has and is developing as a young player. He is on pace to improve off of his offensive rookie of the year stats in nearly every category.

-His completion percentage in 2019 was 64.4% and even though he's had some rough stretches early in 2020, he's still completing 65.5% of his passes this year.

-He threw for 3,722 yards in 2019. This year he is on pace to improve that slightly at 3,965 yards.

-He accounted for 24 total TD's (passing and rushing) in 2019. He is currently on pace for 42 total TD's.

-He was sacked 48 times in 2019 and we know he was responsible for many of those. He is on pace to cut that number in half this year with only 24.

-His QB rating in 2019 was 87.4 and he's currently sitting with a 91.3 rating, despite long stretches of poor play.

-He rushed for 544 yards in 2019 and is on pace to rush for 986 yards this season.

Throw in the fact that it took the Cardinals 15 weeks to secure 4 wins last year compared to only 6 this year and his growth is evident.

The Cardinals certainly got better as the year went on in 2019 and I'd like to believe that's exactly where the 2020 version of the Cardinals are headed.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If Kyler wants to keep running for over 7 yards a clip and wins us games, I'll gladly accept him doing that. He's a sophomore QB that should evolve in the passing game given the arm strength and accuracy he's exhibited.

Right now, I'm not going to dig on a guy well on pace to outrun his rookie year, who is finding a way to make it happen. I didn't like him, but he puts moves on defenses that are impossible not to love.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
He need time to develop. He started only one year in college. His legs are ahead of his arm right now. But he is still fun and gives us a change to win every Sunday.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kyler is a top 5 playmaker in the NFL.

Ill take that from a second year qb with top 5 throwing ability and top 2 running ability.

He has the maturity to only grow into the position.

He puts a lot of stress on a defense.

Even his running, he has done a good job of making sure escapes upfield through the A gap.

That slows down a pass rush quickly when they realize that the qb is already sprinting by them when they are trying to get up field to affect the pass.

His qbing is a work in progress but his throwing ability is insane.

Cardinals have the best wr in the league but no one else really.

Fitz is getting up there. Should probably be a number 3

Kirk cant stay healthy, well rounded and can go deep but consistency is an issue

Isabella has no coordination to catch the deep ball.

Cardinals have a #1 wr, two #3 wrs, one #4 wr and no TE as a consistent receiving option.

Drake has been inconsistent at best. Finally decided to run without hesitation last game and it paid off so we will see.

I think Cardinals need to see more of Edmunds especially as a wr option. He can play. Kliff and Kyler has to find a way to get him the ball more.

Offensive line has stepped up, most improved unit thus far.

If the hogs can maintain this sort of play going deeper into the season, alongside Kyler improving. Cardinals could be a serious problem come playoff time.

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wow, 4th overall...
I think thats way too high. However, truth is a lot of QBs are outplaying what they usually are. So its just a question if Kyler is the one who maintains/goes up another level.

Currently he's 10th in Total QBR at 75.8.....that would have been top 3 the past few years...

If he stops missing open wrs this offense could be scary.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thread on Kyler's accuracy issues

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Thank you Brit. finally some specifics on Kylers mechanics.

Kliff needs to be careful trying to scheme around Kylers issues throwing to the right.... if you overload on curls to the right then those tendencies show up and a CB will jump one and take it to the house

Certainly a weak spot in Kylers game.... Kliff probably working on it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It took me like 2 games last year to point out he's much better throwing going to his left. When he goes right he almost always throws it and often across his body. When he goes left, he is much more willing to run so the throws are more dangerous.

This year he is running right much more than he did last year but IMO they're mostly designed runs. When he rolls right on a pass he's almost always going to throw it, I'm convinced if I can see that, NFL DC's have that pegged so they tell their guys if he goes right he's throwing, if he goes left, he might just run.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Goodness...if he's patient thats a deep throw/possible TD to Kirk on that Hopkins miss.

No wonder why Kliff is keeping Hopkins on the left so much...

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Saw this on reddit

Russell Wilson 2nd season.
8 of 19 142 yards.
15 of 31 210 yards.
12 of 23 122 yards.
10 of 18 139 yards.
11 of 27 108 yards.

He turned out ok.

Should also be noted that Russ was turning 25 during his 2nd year in the league by Nov.

The last one posted happened against the Cardinals to end the season.

OP
OP
JosiahLee

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Saw this on reddit

Russell Wilson 2nd season.
8 of 19 142 yards.
15 of 31 210 yards.
12 of 23 122 yards.
11 of 27 108 yards.
10 of 18 139 yards.

He turned out ok.

Should also be noted that Russ was turning 25 during his 2nd year in the league by Nov.

And that Russell had a full four year college career starting at the position compared to the one year Kyler was featured at Oklahoma.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
there is still so much upside to this offense that will come from K1s growth

True, but in the mean time it's super frustrating to see how many plays he misses. If Kyler was even remotely close to where he should be throwing this team would have a high chance of making the play offs this season, and anything can happen from there. That helps us attract better FA's next season and push for more in his 3rd year.

Either through bad throws, seeing ghosts vs zone, not resetting his feet when he moves out of the pocket or simply just not seeing easy wide open passes. We're not talking advanced Manning/Brady level QB play here. Just basic stuff that should frankly be improving after weeks of the issues being apparent.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Give the kid full credit for turning it around and leading us to the win, but he was absolute garbage to open the game against a woeful Cowgirl defense. When I say garbage, that isn't an exaggeration--he was awful. If, as many say, it was because he was too hyped, well, you're a professional QB in the NFL son--you don't get that luxury. You have to have it between the ears to be an NFL QB. If we weren't playing the Cowgirls, we would've been absolutely buried before he turned it around. Gotta learn much sooner rather than later, does our young QB.

That said, when he finally settled down, he really did turn it around. Looked like he showed some solid leadership in doing so, too. He has so many tools to succeed in the NFL, and I hope he'll take us to the promised land.