What happened to Isaiah Simmons?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's an article and video that details a niche 3rd down package our defense uses, that shows Vance at least attempts to use Simmons creatively. I have to say, this makes me feel a lot better about our coaching staff's vision for Simmons.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

As much as I like this, I do worry about Shanahan/Mosert eating our lunch if they catch us in this package.

I was looking at this last night and overall I like it. It's good to see Vance making use of the abilities he has on the roster. I have some concerns though.

It's ok using this on 3rd and 10+ as most examples here were. But 3rd and 6? Teams will soon figure this out and just run on your for 6 with no linemen. We were up big when he used it in the Dallas game but you can be doing that vs the Seahawks in a close game.

In fact Dalton had the TE open for a 1st down on that play but didn't see him. That really something Simmons needs to work on, he gets beat on dig routes all the time vs TE's in man coverage.

He really should know better and his leverage is wrong to start with. On a 3rd and 6 what is the split out TE going to run? He's going to run either a dig to the chains,a comeback to the chains or possibly a slant. He's not running a go route outside and so Simmons should be lined up with inside leverage to stop the routes he wants and force him outside where Simmons has the speed advantage anyway. That's just basics you shouldn't have to teach him.

But overall I'm in favour or giving the offense something different to look at anytime you can, teams have seen this now though and will be gaming for it.

Last edited:

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was looking at this last night and overall I like it. It's good to see Vance making use of the abilities he has on the roster. I have some concerns though.

It's ok using this on 3rd and 10+ as most examples here were. But 3rd and 6? Teams will soon figure this out and just run on your for 6 with no linemen. We were up big when he used it in the Dallas game but you can be doing that vs the Seahawks in a close game.

In fact Dalton had the TE open for a 1st down on that play but didn't see him. That really something Simmons needs to work on, he gets beat on dig routes all the time vs TE's in man coverage.

He really should know better and his leverage is wrong to start with. On a 3rd and 6 what is the split out TE going to run? He's going to run either a dig to the chains,a comeback to the chains or possibly a slant. He's not running a go route outside and so Simmons should be lined up with inside leverage to stop the routes he wants and force him outside where Simmons has the speed advantage anyway. That's just basics you shouldn't have to teach him.

But overall I'm in favour or giving the offense something different to look at anytime you can, teams have seen this now though and will be gaming for it.
I had the same reaction when the video showed Vance using this on 3rd and 6.... pretty surprising but I haven't analyzed Cowboys tendencies on 3rd and 6 and I'm sure Vance has taken a look. its probably overwhelmingly pass.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I had the same reaction when the video showed Vance using this on 3rd and 6.... pretty surprising but I haven't analyzed Cowboys tendencies on 3rd and 6 and I'm sure Vance has taken a look. its probably overwhelmingly pass.

I think most teams will be overwhelmingly pass on 3rd and 6. I'm sure it's close to 100%. But then they don't normally face 0 down linemen. It's worked so far but now teams have tape and will be prepared. They do this on 3rd and 6 vs the Chicks and they will run it for 6 for sure.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That alignment is ok on third and long, but wilson will run on that line up all day. They can get away with that in flacco or Dalton but not Russ.
Wouldn't that personnel grouping be tougher for a scrambling QB (more guys on the field that can tackle in space)? Or are you suggesting that he will audible into a run play to exploit it?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Lol. You also don’t bank on rookies being immediate contributors. You fill your holes in free agency so you can take BPA in the draft and let the chips fall where they may. You already know this though. Sorry it didn’t fit your narrative on this particular subject.
Most team do desire their first round, much less top 10, pick to start at some point in their rookie season. The lone exception seems to be QBs and that old rule is rapidly falling by the wayside. No narrative necessary. You’re wrong if you’re arguing otherwise.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol. You also don’t bank on rookies being immediate contributors. You fill your holes in free agency so you can take BPA in the draft and let the chips fall where they may. You already know this though. Sorry it didn’t fit your narrative on this particular subject.

Every other 1st round round pick from 1 to 26 is starting apart from Chaisson but even he is getting 57% of snaps.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Simmons on the dig route vs Dallas is playing outside leverage because there’s no one outside of him. However, if you look again Budda is playing that “Robber” in the cover one and is Simmons help to the inside. Knowing that Simmons does a good job not allowing the player to get outside of him. I watched the same thing this past weekend in the ATL vs MN game. Rookie corner matched up vs Julio with safety help to the inside and instead of trusting his help Julio jumps to the outside and was wide open for the first TD of the game.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Simmons on the dig route vs Dallas is playing outside leverage because there’s no one outside of him. However, if you look again Budda is playing that “Robber” in the cover one and is Simmons help to the inside. Knowing that Simmons does a good job not allowing the player to get outside of him. I watched the same thing this past weekend in the ATL vs MN game. Rookie corner matched up vs Julio with safety help to the inside and instead of trusting his help Julio jumps to the outside and was wide open for the first TD of the game.

Yeah but that's Julio. This is a TE that runs 4.7 vs Simmons with 4.4.

For me Baker is too far away to help Simmons and pay no attention to this side. Looks like straight 1 on 1 but who knows. Thanks for your input.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Most team do desire their first round, much less top 10, pick to start at some point in their rookie season. The lone exception seems to be QBs and that old rule is rapidly falling by the wayside. No narrative necessary. You’re wrong if you’re arguing otherwise.
In what thesaurus did you find that the terms “bank on” and “desire” were considered synonyms?

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

For me Baker is too far away to help Simmons and pay no attention to this side. Looks like straight 1 on 1 but who knows. Thanks for your input.
I only used the Julio example because the commentator had said one of the hardest things for a young player to do while in coverage is to know where there help is and to trust it. Budda is the help and never looks his way because Dalton’s eyes are to the offenses right, where 3 receivers are. Budda is giving Simmons the help he needs while reading the QBs eyes and ready to jump a route much like does getting his first career INT.

From the photo I posted, you can see a Dalton clearly looking to the 3 receiver side. You can also clearly see Budda’s eyes are on him while Simmons has his back to the perimeter not letting Schultz get there. If it was a better tight end and QB maybe the QB could’ve turned and slung it to his 4th option in this route, but the way the game was playing out, Dalton didn’t have much time to stand tall in the pocket and go through his progression

You must be registered for see images attach

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Emmanuel Acho said this today in reference to the Cowboys that I found interesting.

"A coach once told me that a 4.4 40 is just a fast mistake. Schematically/coaching wise if you're not put in the proper position/scheme you'll be a mistake/going the wrong way"

Simmons might just need to be a roamer/blitzer right now. This is the NFL and maybe he's not ready to cover anybody so put him in a spot where he can successful...despite the PFF grade.

Agree that if Dalton looks his direction I think he completes it because there's enough space that he could put it on his backshoulder away from Baker.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
How many snaps did IS play this week? An 86 seems generous when you play on 15% of your defensive snaps.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Wouldn't that personnel grouping be tougher for a scrambling QB (more guys on the field that can tackle in space)? Or are you suggesting that he will audible into a run play to exploit it?

It could be either, but I am of the opinion that with no "big behinds" on D-line they'll leave huge gaps trying to rush the passer. In other words they'll be trying to run around the blockers instead of maintaining their gaps.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I wanted Becton or Wills. Both have graded out pretty damn well. Wirfs as well.

Andrew Thomas has been crappy.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wanted Becton or Wills. Both have graded out pretty damn well. Wirfs as well.

Andrew Thomas has been crappy.

i wanted Andrew Thomas 1st, Derrick Brown 2nd and Isiah Simmons 3rd.

Brown is a stud, Thomas and Simmons not so much.

We did however draft the guy I had rated #3 at Tackle and that’s Jones any word on him?

I had a dream last night we drafted Becton and put him next to Hump at Guard and we just ran the ball fir 250 yards a game and won a Super Bowl. Smh

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That defense still had Mathieu, Bucannon and Bethea... If they bring back Reddick then we can really start to get nervous.

I think Reddick is earning himself another contract. Simmons has to find a role and fill it.

I certainly wish he were playing more and better and I'm at the point now I wish we'd taken someone else but even that is hard.

I wanted a WR, either Jeudy or Lamb, to be honest right now if we redrafted it would be hard to NOT at least consider Chase Claypool over either one of those 2. Lamb gets the most chances because Dallas throws the ball alot behind, but he was not much of a factor in our game. Jeudy doesn't have a good QB yet, he's had some flashes, and Claypool obviously has the best situation doesn't have to be the star, established rapist err QB, good team but he's also on a team that might get to a SB so everything he does matters more.

That kid so far looks like a faster Anquan Boldin. He hasn't had the same impact yet but in our offense with his ability to run after the catch my goodness.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I had to go back now and redraft that #8 pick based on what I've seen so far and what this team needs I might have to go with Kinlaw. He's looked very nice.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had to go back now and redraft that #8 pick based on what I've seen so far and what this team needs I might have to go with Kinlaw. He's looked very nice.

That was who I was pushing for. Even over Brown.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose