15 thoughts - Cowboys game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – Kyler Murray as a starter at Cowboys Stadium = 7-0.

2 – Some of you should give Vance Joseph credit. This was not only due to a bad opponent. This was domination on defense.

3 – Want the most possible exposure? Play Monday Night Football against the Cowboys. It is just the way it is. So, I like that the Cards showcased themselves at that stage.

4 – Back in 2017 I thought the Cards gave up way too much to move up in the second round to draft Budda Baker. I don’t anymore.

5 – It is hard (and unfair) to judge a NFL-game-starting defensive line against a preseason-game-starting offensive line, but one thing I think can be said is that Zach Allen was again a steady, solid contributor – as he has been throughout the season.

6 – Prediction for 2021: Kenyan Drake is not re-signed. Chase Edmonds is the starting runningback.

7 – “Completion Probability” is a stat that measures the probability of a completion on a pass play based on many factors such as receiver separation, where on the field the receiver is, how far did the quarterback have to nearest defender when he threw, and more.

Based on that, Kyler Murray had the second lowest “Expected Completion Percentage” of all quarterbacks this round, and based on that and his actual completion percentage, he had by far the worst “Completion Percentage Above Expectations” of all.

Conclusion: not good.

8 – “Even the smallest tight end (Larry Fitzgerald) can change the course of the future.”

- almost elvish queen, Lady Galadriel

- (almost in Lord of the Rings)

9 – When Isaiah Simmons finally gets on the field in garbage time, he plays bad. It’s not really encouraging.

10 – Christian Kirk stepping up!

11 – Best game so far by Byron Murphy.

12 – Rough beginning as a right guard-starter for Justin Murray. Ugh.

13 – Is Jeff Rodgers the best coordinator on the staff? I don’t think it would be a stretch to claim that.

14 – Deionte Thompson is a liability. Bad coverage, missed tackles, over pursues plays, take bad angles. It’s not good enough.

15 – I was not here when there was a rivalry with the Cowboys, so I have no feelings toward that. However, I do know that some of you have, and I am very happy for you that you experienced this. Congratulations.

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Can’t say i paid attention to Justin Murray, I do remember pressure up the middle ruining a play but I think it was mason cole who messed up... either way we need new guards

what about our cornerback issue? We need a first round corner like no ones business next year. And I would assume we would re-sign Peterson or Kirkpatrick for the other side, although neither have been great

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1 – Kyler Murray as a starter at Cowboys Stadium = 7-0.

2 – Some of you should give Vance Joseph credit. This was not only due to a bad opponent. This was domination on defense.

3 – Want the most possible exposure? Play Monday Night Football against the Cowboys. It is just the way it is. So, I like that the Cards showcased themselves at that stage.

4 – Back in 2017 I thought the Cards gave up way too much to move up in the second round to draft Budda Baker. I don’t anymore.

5 – It is hard (and unfair) to judge a NFL-game-starting defensive line against a preseason-game-starting offensive line, but one thing I think can be said is that Zach Allen was again a steady, solid contributor – as he has been throughout the season.

6 – Prediction for 2021: Kenyan Drake is not re-signed. Chase Edmonds is the starting runningback.

7 – “Completion Probability” is a stat that measures the probability of a completion on a pass play based on many factors such as receiver separation, where on the field the receiver is, how far did the quarterback have to nearest defender when he threw, and more.

Based on that, Kyler Murray had the second lowest “Expected Completion Percentage” of all quarterbacks this round, and based on that and his actual completion percentage, he had by far the worst “Completion Percentage Above Expectations” of all.

Conclusion: not good.

8 – “Even the smallest tight end (Larry Fitzgerald) can change the course of the future.”

- almost elvish queen, Lady Galadriel

- (almost in Lord of the Rings)

9 – When Isaiah Simmons finally gets on the field in garbage time, he plays bad. It’s not really encouraging.

12 – Rough beginning as a right guard-starter for Justin Murray. Ugh.

13 – Is Jeff Rodgers the best coordinator on the staff? I don’t think it would be a stretch to claim that.

14 – Deionte Thompson is a liability. Bad coverage, missed tackles, over pursues plays, take bad angles. It’s not good enough.

15 – I was not here when there was a rivalry with the Cowboys, so I have no feelings toward that. However, I do know that some of you have, and I am very happy for you that you experienced this. Congratulations.
You sure we watched the same game?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh yes. From the St Louis days. The guys I hated were Dallas, and Pat Fischer from Washington.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Simmons was our 2nd highest graded defender and playes the most snaps of his season.

Justin Murray played well and was a huge upgrade in pass protection.

I think a 2nd - 3rd round RB will be our starter next season.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Simmons was our 2nd highest graded defender and playes the most snaps of his season.

According to who, GGS? I saw Simmons make several mistakes on a very short time (he played most of his snap – if not all – in the fourth quarter where the game was decided), and Justin Murray lost several one-on-one battles.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Disagree on Deionte. He looked competent and made a number of plays in the run game and quick tackles on receptions. It was actually one of his better games.

Simmons didn't look terrible. He had his best game so far.

I sort of agree, Krang, but as usual he was involved in a lot of the plays (which I guess is a positive), and though he made many good plays, he made many mistakes as well.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think a 2nd - 3rd round RB will be our starter next season.

Y'all can't complain about PFF grades all season then ride them when they are good. They are accurate, or not accurate. they use the exact same system for everyone.

We either have to discount them completely or live by them. We can't just pick the ones we like when it suits us.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Simmons was good. I think PFF were high (literally) with that grade.

Look at this video on the other thread showing the 0-6-5 package here.

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/what-happened-to-isaiah-simmons.367064/page-36

I mentioned this in my comments. Go to around 4:50 and look how he is lined up on the TE on 3rd and 6. All the routes the TE is likely to run on 3rd and 6 are inside, especially against Simmons where he's not going to get beat for speed on the outside. So why is Simmon's lined up with outside leverage? He gets left for dust on a simple 6 yard dig route which any defender with half a brain can see coming. Luckily Dalton doesn't see it, but any competent QB on seeing that match up would have decided that's where the ball was going pre snap. Russ would feast on that all day vs the Seahawks.

That's basic stuff and really poor from Simmons to not be expecting it and get beat so easily.

JD Robertson

Registered
Reaction score
Looks to me like he had safety, Buddah Baker, help on the inside with no one on the outside. Maybe that is the way the play is drawn up. Don't know for sure but that is what I see.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks to me like he had safety, Buddah Baker, help on the inside with no one on the outside. Maybe that is the way the play is drawn up. Don't know for sure but that is what I see.

Budda is quite a way off to offer much inside help and really Simmons shouldn't need it on single coverage on a TE. Dalton could of snapped that and threw it right away and Budda would be nowhere near. Simmons has to do better there.

He's obviously far from ready.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gandhi, once again, thanks.
I'll start with #6. Too early for me to give up on Drake, and make a judgement on our other RB's.

#7-Sorry, but this is way over my pay grade. But I guess it is something to watch.

#9-Looks like this will be a mostly wasted year for IS. But I can wait until 2021 to make a decision on him.

#12-We rushed for a lot of yards and Kyler was only sacked once. And I didn't hear (might have missed it) Murray's name called, which is supposed to be a good thing.

#13-I'm happy with Rodgers, but didn't think our ST's were special on Monday night, so I'm not sure why you mentioned him. And our punt returns need to improve.

#14-Have to disagree, and will point out that this was his first or second start.

I'll close by posting that I feel better about the team this week, than I did last week. Bad news, Mr. Wilson is coming to town.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
6 - Prediction for 2021: Kenyan Drake is not re-signed. Chase Edmonds is the starting runningback

6 - I think you're right (so was @Solar7) but I think we draft one/sign one and its a committee.

10 - He is a solid #3...nothing more.

11 - agreed! Need more of that.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Y'all can't complain about PFF grades all season then ride them when they are good. They are accurate, or not accurate. they use the exact same system for everyone.

We either have to discount them completely or live by them. We can't just pick the ones we like when it suits us.

I dont know who "yall" is but dont group me in with anybody else. Simmons played well, was targeted twice and was in perfect position on the deeper target which bounced off his back. The other target went for a short 6 yards. PFF is a neutral third party and I have more confidence in their analysis than a fan playing arm chair quarterback.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont know who "yall" is but dont group me in with anybody else. Simmons played well, was targeted twice and was in perfect position on the deeper target which bounced off his back. The other target went for a short 6 yards. PFF is a neutral third party and I have more confidence in their analysis than a fan playing arm chair quarterback.

It was more generally aimed at the board who seem to think PFF are garbage when they don't like the grades but don't mind dropping them when they do.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here are some fun stats:

Our results in the last six games we have faced our former dominating tormentors, the Cowboys:

10/12/08 Cards 30 dal 24

12/25/10 Cards 27 dal 26

12/4/11 Cards 19 dal 13

11/2/14 Cards 28 dal 17

9/25/17 dal 28 Cards 17

10/19/20 Cards 38 dal 10

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phillips needs a shout out.

Baker is now a stud.

Love the Drake. He’s running north and south again. Even a 1st down run for 3 or 4 yards is huge to set up this offense.

Love the deep throws even if they don’t hit, especially on 1st down.

Kirk was amazing. Wish I could believe he will show up again this Sunday.

Wilson has had his share of games like Kyler had Monday. Don’t fret about Kyler. There are bigger things to worry about.

Cards d-line rotation seems above average.

nice post Ghandi!