Tidbit about Todd Bowles & the Cards

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the Athletic's great piece on Bowles today:

After a head coach is fired, public narrative is usually about his failures, inadequacies and missteps.

Other teams often are understandably hesitant about associating themselves.

Bowles, however, had his pick of eight defensive coordinator jobs after being fired. Chicago, Cleveland, Tampa Bay, Arizona, Washington and three more teams that can’t be named wanted to hire him.

...dave

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No surprise really... he was the best DC that we've had in recent history & we only lost him because he got a head coaching job with the Jets. I would've fired Vance immediately if Bowles wanted to come back, but it was pretty clear he was gonna go to Tampa with Arians.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All evidence points to the BA / Keim / Bidwill split being messy. Those guys had no interest coming back here.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
All evidence points to the BA / Keim / Bidwill split being messy. Those guys had no interest coming back here.

there is no question about this

too many "huh?" things have happened

they fired Wilks............... and never even considered bringing Arians back, even though he wanted to coach again. The winningest coach in AZ Cards history, and he doesn't get a sniff.

I dont think he was out and out fired. He wasn't shy about talking about how he left Pitt, and seems like he would say something.

Arians is oddly quiet (especially for him).

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really miss Bowles.

I did hear BA comment on why he went to the Bucs instead of coming back to the Cards and he said something like both parties were already moving in different directions so it just didn't happen or something to that effect.

OP
OP
daves

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember the last two years of the Arians that there was some friction over management wanting to change up the coaching staff and Arians wanting nothing to do with that. Case in point was that special teams coach (drawing blank on name) who coached the worst specials teams in my memory as a Cards fan.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually said to my buddy last night that we haven't seen Cardinals defense blitz and attack like they did in that Cowboys game last night since Bowles was here.

One thing I loved about Bowles and Arians was when the game was on the line, and the defense was on the field, we would bring the house.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would have given him all the money and blown anyone else out the water. Bowles is that good of a DC and would have been the perfect for with Kliff.

I'm gutted we never likely see him here as DC again.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
there is no question about this

too many "huh?" things have happened

they fired Wilks............... and never even considered bringing Arians back, even though he wanted to coach again. The winningest coach in AZ Cards history, and he doesn't get a sniff.

I dont think he was out and out fired. He wasn't shy about talking about how he left Pitt, and seems like he would say something.

Arians is oddly quiet (especially for him).

Maybe his retirement included a retirement package and some sort of agreement not to talk negatively about the organization. Maybe his bromance with Keim has something to do with it. My guess there was some sort of agreement between Bidwill and Arians. Bidwill did give Arians the opportunity to be a HC.

As I recall the Pittsburgh thing was handled way different in that Tomlin had told Arians he was going to ask for a raise for him or something similar and when he next met with Arians he told him he had to go pack his bags because he was fired.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just an opinion about VJ. Going into the Dallas game on MNF, and he has just lost his best defender, and yet, his Defense plays their BEST game of the year. That tells me that either, his players like playing for him, or maybe they just don't read this Board.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, I've been around long enough to remember a host of posters on this board "panning" the selection of Bowles as DC when Arians came to town. Only got the job because of his friendship with Arians, blah, blah, blah.

OP
OP
daves

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe his retirement included a retirement package and some sort of agreement not to talk negatively about the organization. Maybe his bromance with Keim has something to do with it. My guess there was some sort of agreement between Bidwill and Arians. Bidwill did give Arians the opportunity to be a HC.
Yeah... or maybe literally everyone on public record is just telling the truth about why he retired and why he came back for Tampa Bay. I thought the days of reading people's body language and painting wild conspiracy theories as "well-known facts" ended when Mitch left the board!

...dave

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Yeah... or maybe literally everyone on public record is just telling the truth about why he retired and why he came back for Tampa Bay. I thought the days of reading people's body language and painting wild conspiracy theories as "well-known facts" ended when Mitch left the board!

...dave

Dave,

No facts quoted in my post, just guesses. I never say anything regarding these were facts. Notice I used the word maybe repeatedly. Besides some of Mitch's posts were quite entertaining.

OP
OP
daves

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave,

No facts quoted in my post, just guesses. I never say anything regarding these were facts. Notice I used the word maybe repeatedly. Besides some of Mitch's posts were quite entertaining.
Wasn't really directing that to you specifically, despite quoting your post... but there have been many posts on the site over the last couple of years intimating that Arians was "refired" again by the Cards, that there are hard feelings, and the like, and implying that this is some sort of open secret - though all evidence points to the likelihood that Arians simply retired of his own accord, exactly as it was explained at the time and has been reported repeatedly since then.

...dave

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arians saw the handwriting on the wall. Palmer was retiring. Cap wasn’t in the greatest shape. I don’t think he wanted to be part of a rebuild.

Notice in his second year With the bucs He gets Brady and a pretty talented roster.

Many on this board was tiring of Arians schtick.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't really directing that to you specifically, despite quoting your post... but there have been many posts on the site over the last couple of years intimating that Arians was "refired" again by the Cards, that there are hard feelings, and the like, and implying that this is some sort of open secret - though all evidence points to the likelihood that Arians simply retired of his own accord, exactly as it was explained at the time and has been reported repeatedly since then.

...dave
I'm in the camp of I bought the real story and a year away combined with his staff being available made a perfect storm after missing being coach

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

...dave
We're good. Whatever the reason, I think Arians time in AZ had grown thin.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Maybe his retirement included a retirement package and some sort of agreement not to talk negatively about the organization.

This is what I think happened.

btw, I remember people were calling him Colon Bowels when he first got here, lol.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its seems to be the way it looked. It was one of the older HC's. He had some health issues and Carson Palmer was retiring.

I think if Palmer stays then BA likely stays too. But he didn't want to have to break in a new QB, especially a rookie that might take years. He's always been a "win now" HC due to his age.

The Tampa job was just opportune. He wasn't getting on with the commentary. It wasn't too far from his Georgia home. He knew the GM well and they had a vet QB he thought he could work with and some good building blocks.

It's worked out perfectly for him really. He has 2 years with Brady to take his shot for the SB. After which I think he really will be done for good.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have a friend that was involved with the team's medical staff and while I don't know any details I believe there were some problems with alcohol that were very effectively kept out of the public/press.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose