What happened to Isaiah Simmons?

lester

Rookie
Reaction score
What narrative? That he's not an inside linebacker? That's not a narrative, that's a fact. He played about a handful of snaps at true ILB down around the LOS in college and they were his worse snaps. All his snaps at linebacker were at weakside in a 4-3, which we don't play and he had a very specific role either covering a TE or slot receiver or spying/rushing the QB.

He gave up 2 touchdowns in his first 12 snaps. He has a PFF grade of 38.2 (Im not saying PFF are right but they aren't 30 points wrong). So yes, he has been bad when he plays but it's not his fault because they are asking him to do things he simply doesn't have the instincts for. It's Reddick all over again. Every snap happens in the blink of an eye and if you have to think about what you should be doing it's already too late.

You can have one of two things. He is a natural linebacker and he's just not playing because Vance/P2 etc are all wrong or he's not a natural linebacker and he's been bad because we are using him wrong.

If you want to say he's a linebacker and he's just this bad then we are really screwed.
..youve watched to many soccer games...Rookie no preseason snaps to hone skills...so what do you do ..' oh he is bad....his numbers are bad...give me a break

Last edited:

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
..youve watched to many soccor games...Rookie no preseason snaps to hone skills...so what do you do ..' oh he is bad....his numbers are bad...give me a break

you are beating a really dead horse

by the way, welcome back to the board. I could be wrong but I remember you from the early days?

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is he a dumb kid? Didn't seem so in his interviews, but maybe it's overly complex for him as a rookie. Reddick struck me that way too, and he also suffered the challenge of changing positions every year. He looks really good now.
I don't have any doubt that Simmons will be a dominant player once he gets a lot of reps and time in a system.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Is he a dumb kid? Didn't seem so in his interviews, but maybe it's overly complex for him as a rookie. Reddick struck me that way too, and he also suffered the challenge of changing positions every year. He looks really good now.
I don't have any doubt that Simmons will be a dominant player once he gets a lot of reps and time in a system.

I do. Simmons can’t even see the field. I expect that from rookie QB’s and offensive tackles taken in the top 10. But not Linebackers/safeties. That being said, I am glad they have the sense to keep him benched so he doesn’t cost the team a game

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snaps are snaps, and he needs to take as many as possible

Totally agree.

I was focusing on him when they put him in late. He had no idea where to go or what his responsibility was. Baker was constantly giving him directions and helping him get into position. I think the lack of offseason hurt Simmons the most.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Simmons got in on a couple tackles tonight
He should have played the entire second half.... I noticed Dalton trying to pick on him for a while

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Totally agree.

I was focusing on him when they put him in late. He had no idea where to go or what his responsibility was. Baker was constantly giving him directions and helping him get into position. I think the lack of offseason hurt Simmons the most.

Yes is totally lost now, i thought sometimes instict could put him in a better spot but at today has not clue about reading a play
Let's hope he can take a big leap soon

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes is totally lost now, i thought sometimes instict could put him in a better spot but at today has not clue about reading a play
Let's hope he can take a big leap soon

I think he is a lost cause for the rest of the year. No way he just picks things up with as little time as he is getting on the field this season. I’m chalking him up as a COVID tragedy and hoping a full offseason will help his development.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watching Simmons line up reminds me of this guy

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i saw one PBU -- although it was because Dalton hit him in the back as he covered the TE

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm assuming those are PPF grades which a take with a grain of salt. Having said that Baker obviously deserves the grade he received and good to see Hump doing so well.

Grain of salt grade is Simmons getting a grade of 86.3.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I mean he did have him well covered. Granted would have been an easy pick if he looked back.
i guess my post sounded like a dig -- it wasnt, and you are correct. his coverage was good and there was no place for the ball to go

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming those are PPF grades which a take with a grain of salt. Having said that Baker obviously deserves the grade he received and good to see Hump doing so well.

Grain of salt grade is Simmons getting a grade of 86.3.

Maybe you can grade it and give us your number.

All these numbers are a "grain of salt". We have no idea how they come up with them.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe you can grade it and give us your number.

All these numbers are a "grain of salt". We have no idea how they come up with them.

Their grading system is widely available and discussed online.

If I recall the basics of it are something like this. Everyone starts with a 60 grade which is average. Every play is graded on a scale from - 2 to +2 depending on how they fulfilled their role on that play. Each play is analysed by 3 separate analysts and signed off by a senior analyst. If they disagreed on any they round table it and agree on a score.

Something like that. I haven't looked in a while.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here's an article and video that details a niche 3rd down package our defense uses, that shows Vance at least attempts to use Simmons creatively. I have to say, this makes me feel a lot better about our coaching staff's vision for Simmons.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

As much as I like this, I do worry about Shanahan/Mosert eating our lunch if they catch us in this package.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson