So who thinks they will be attending a Cardinals home game this season?

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind football being just football. No crown noise no extra. Almost like neutral games every week

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind football being just football. No crown noise no extra. Almost like neutral games every week

I prefer a season with no crowd then a season without football
The problem is about players get infected
Considering it is so much contagious, if one get it then very likely u can't play your team

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I prefer a season with no crowd then a season without football
The problem is about players get infected
Considering it is so much contagious, if one get it then very likely u can't play your team

You hit the nail right on the head!!! That is basically what happened in the NBA, one player got it and spread it and the league shut down.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The question was how many games to you plan to attend. I answered all.

My opinion is the same as anyone else's. An opinion. Not one person or one organization's predictions from the CDC's or WHO has been close to correct. Any Doctor with a different opinion other then lock everyone down has been ignored. My opinion is as "informed" as anyone else's.

The percentage of the American population that has been affected by Covid-19 is .4 (4 tenths of one percent). Yet 1 in 6 Americans have lost their jobs. 60 percent of small businesses will not reopen. I say it again. Over hyped. Just my opinion.

If you are worried then stay home.

Predictions are made based on available information.

More accurate data = better predictions.

Fact. Not an opinion.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
They don't need a vaccine, they just need a viable and available treatment option. Once that is readily available things can go back closer to normal.

I expect there to be a reduced schedule this season with fans in attendance. I think they were just being optimistic with the schedule release.
They will probably have vaccines available before a reliable treatment...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Ok, co morbidity is 86% not 95% - Guess I was wrong about that.
https://www.the-hospitalist.org/hos.../comorbidities-rule-new-yorks-covid-19-deaths

About 9% of Deaths in NY are people under 75 without a co morbidity.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Here is the yearly flu vaccine effectiveness from the CDC - It probably is closer to 40% effective than 35
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/past-seasons-estimates.html

Even though I was slightly off on a couple things, the point still remains - the danger of this virus to the vast majority of the population is very low, while the danger of keeping the economy shut down is very very high.
It's not just about deaths...it can take 6-8 weeks to recover...that's a long time. And you don't need to be in a high risk group to have that happen.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
i gotta assume if you're knowingly going to a place with thousands of people by choice, assumption of the risk mitigates most lawsuits.

that said, it would be a public relations nightmare for them to have fans there and then have that cause a major outbreak. I don't think we see fans at games this season.

I also think if they have fans and went with the 20% capacity thing, the only way they get away with that with all the season ticket holders is if they rotate the fan so there's a different 20% there and somehow figure out how to make all of the season ticket holders get same amount of limited games.
I would think, unless you are signing a Covid-19 waiver, that mitigated risk wouldn't apply. With no waiver, the fans assumption is the team/NFL isn't putting them in harm's way.

I know tickets always have liability language associated...I imagine that language will be updated...but even today, teams and stadiums still get sued for fan injuries.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
The reason flu vaccines have low effectiveness is that the flu virus mutates rapidly, in ways that enable it to maintain its virulence while evading antibodies to other strains.

The jury is still out on coronavirus, but so far it appears to mutate more slowly, and from what i've read most efforts to develop antibodies and vaccines are focused on its "spike" protein. It's widely believed, though far from certain at this time, that when the coronavirus mutates, it needs to retain the spike to gain access to cells, or the mutation will render it harmless. So it the hope is to develop countermeasures that are effective against all possible mutations that retain the spike.

Even so, it's not certain that having antibodies will prevent re-infection, though it's likely. It's also uncertain how long the protection will last.

On the other hand, if having antibodies does NOT provide protection, or if the coronavirus is able to mutate in ways that make antibodies / vaccines useless much like the influenza virus, then you can forget about herd immunity, too. If the virus mutates as rapidly as influenza while maintaining its virulence, thus rendering a vaccine ineffective... then there's no such thing as herd immunity, just as there's no herd immunity to the flu. That would be a really bad thing.

Bottom line - you can't have it both ways, expecting a vaccine to be as ineffective as the flu vaccine, while also hoping for herd immunity. There IS realistic hope that an effective vaccine is possible. And as someone else pointed out, effective treatments that reduce the mortality are also likely, and would make it a lot easier to get "back to normal" before the disease is entirely defeated.

You realize that a huge percentage of the U.S. population has one or more of those comorbidities, right?

1. Hypertension = high blood pressure. 45% of Americans have this.
2. Diabetes. 9.4% of Americans have this.
3. Hyperlipidemia = high cholesterol. 12% of American adults and 7% of children (!) have this.
4. Coronary artery disease. 6.7% of Americans have this.
5. Renal disease. 15% of American adults have chronic kidney disease.
6. Dementia. 1.6% of Americans (all ages) have dementia.
7. COPD. 4.9% of Americans have this.
8. Cancer. 9.4% of American adults have been diagnosed with cancer.
9. Atrial Fibrilation. 0.8-1.9% of Americans have this.
10. Heart failure. 805,000 Americans have a heart attack every year.

The fact that people who die are likely to have comorbidities does not mean that only sickly people die. The vast majority of Americans has AT LEAST one of the above comorbidities.

And when you say, "The ones at risk need to stay isolated", perhaps you imagine just very old or sickly people. But what about everyone who takes care of elderly parents, or a sick relative? What about everyone who works at a nursing home? What about everyone who works in a factory or office in close proximity to someone like that? What about everyone who wants to be able to visit their grandparents?

In China, as well as South Korea, New Zealand, and Australia, and a couple other countries, they actually followed the guidelines that we should have followed in the U.S. They actually shut down and remained at home until they had extremely small numbers of daily new cases of COVID-19, combined with high levels of testing, so that they could quickly detect, trace contacts, and quarantine everyone likely to have been exposed. Exactly what we SAID we were going to do in this country, but mostly we were too lazy or impatient to follow through, so now our number of daily new cases and daily deaths remains close to its peak! There is absolutely no comparison between the situation in China and the current situation in the U.S.

Yesterday, there was ONE new case in China and New Zealand, 12 in South Korea, and 18 in Australia. There were 29,162 in the U.S.

That's a little misleading unless you know what percentage of the population is under 75 (94%) and what percentage has no comorbidities. If the percentage with no comorbidities is small, then 9% of all deaths is actually a significant percentage of that small intersection between people under 75 and people with no comorbidities.

Overall, 52.3% of deaths were people under 75.

There's nothing in these numbers that should be particularly reassuring to anyone but a small cohort of the population that's young, has no comorbidities, and doesn't ever come into close contact with people who are at higher risk (or perhaps a larger group, those who don't give a **** about people who are at higher risk).

It's true that keeping the economy shut down has very serious negative consequences, even in terms of lives lost. There is a balance to be found between staying shut down and saving lives, vs. returning to normal and letting hospitals get overwhelmed and continuing to have 2000-3000 Americans die every day from COVID-19. Sadly, we half-assed the shutdown and are being premature in opening, so we're getting the worst of both worlds.

It was probably folly to ever think that the U.S. could really do the shutdown properly and get it completely over with in 2-3 months as some other countries have done successfully. Anyway, here we are. In most of the country, we're not going to get daily new cases down low enough to test, track, trace, and quarantine contacts.

Bottom line: your stats were way off / misleading, and it's way too soon to buy into your conclusion that "There is going to be a season, and most likely for a good portion of it, fans are going to be in the stands."

...dave
Don't forget, a lot of people have one or more of those co-morbidities and don't even know it.

As for flu vaccine effectiveness...they don't always prevent you from getting sick, because of mutations of the virus, but they will at least lessen the impact of the virus...that's really what most antibodies do for you. Heck you can probably get covid-19 more than once, but the antibodies you have will help you fight it off easier and faster.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
The one thing that the NFL and college football that the other sports do not is time. There's about 3 months left before they have to figure out what the can and can't do.

Some things have come out recently that seem promising and there are a bunch of smart people working on it 24/7.

It's hard to say how much progress can be made in that amount of time

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first of three straight home games...

Would love to keep my streak of never missing a home game (with fan attendance allowed) going, but it looks like it may be tough. Thanks, 2020.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
The first of three straight home games...

Would love to keep my streak of never missing a home game (with fan attendance allowed) going, but it looks like it may be tough. Thanks, 2020.
I think you should be able to.put an (*) by this season which means your streak continues when it's possible to do so safely. Not like you missed a game that was possible to attend. I got your back brotha...

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you should be able to.put an (*) by this season which means your streak continues when it's possible to do so safely. Not like you missed a game that was possible to attend. I got your back brotha...

Yeah, I'm not going to stress over it. If we can find tickets, we'll be there. If not, when things get back to normal, we'll be there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson