15 thoughts - Jets game

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He's bigger & stronger. If he can hold his own against speed rushers at tackle like he did in 2019, I know he can do well at RG.

I completely agree. I called for him at right guard even before training camp, and my reasoning was exactly as you mention. Of course, Sean Kugler knows much better than us, but based on my own knowledge and the eye test I truly think Murray would be an upgrade.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think its fair to say that he hasn't revolutionized anything, but the Cardinals offense is still quite different from most NFL offenses. Our personnel groupings this year are 46% in 11, 30% in 12 and 18% in 10. No other team has a split even close to that. The only other team that has made 10 personnel a significant part of their regular offense are the Bills, but they're different in that they almost never go into 12. Based on personnel groupings I'd say the offense most similar to ours is the Eagles, who are basically 50/50 between 11 and 12.

Watching our offense is a very different experience from watching say Minnesota in their game vs. Seattle. Minnesota has only played a single snap in 10 personnel but love to go into 21.

We even have some 20, 21 and 22. In there. We do have a good variation of formations.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Interestingly I’ve thought some of the run play designs used against the Cards were quite innovative. On the other hand the Cards’ runs seem like plays I’ve been seeing for years. Their success would depend on the Cards have an above average run blocking unit, which they don’t seem to have. Also after all these years they still can’t execute a screen pass.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I completely agree. I called for him at right guard even before training camp, and my reasoning was exactly as you mention. Of course, Sean Kugler knows much better than us, but based on my own knowledge and the eye test I truly think Murray would be an upgrade.

Any word on Josh Jones? If we place Murray at RG, where can we place Jones. He seemed such a great pick, but crickets.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interestingly I’ve thought some of the run play designs used against the Cards were quite innovative. On the other hand the Cards’ runs seem like plays I’ve been seeing for years. Their success would depend on the Cards have an above average run blocking unit, which they don’t seem to have. Also after all these years they still can’t execute a screen pass.

This. Their run game seems really different from last year. I was really impressed with the run game (mostly) last year. Not just Drake but when Edmonds started too. I might be remembering wrong but seemed to more outside zone, more counter where this year it seems to be straight up power which we don't have the linemen for. I liked the delayed hand offs last year too which they have done less of this year. Those are smart plays which suck the D line into pass rush while the linebackers drop into coverage giving the RB more space. We don't seem to have done that anywhere near as much and I don't understand why.

We are ranked 6th in rushing, but would be 31st without him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any word on Josh Jones? If we place Murray at RG, where can we place Jones. He seemed such a great pick, but crickets.

I think its that Tackle is a really hard position to learn in the NFL and without the off season he's going to need more time. That seems to be what the talking heads were saying weeks ago.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ranked sixth is great. And I guess Harry is correct, as a lot of our success must relate to KK's designed plays.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ranked sixth is great. And I guess Harry is correct, as a lot of our success must relate to KK's designed plays.

If you take away Kyler we would be 31st. that's a concern considering Drake + Edmonds are averaging about 22 carries a game between them.

Compare that to Cook + Mattison ranked 4th averaging around 25 and our running backs aren't doing very well.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would you want to take away Kyler's stats? His running plays are some of our most creative.

To assess our running backs. You don't want to HAVE to run your QB to have any production. You want to use it sparingly when you need it.

Kyler has said himself he would rather stay in the pocket.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We don't have to have a lot of QB running plays, but it's great to have some. And besides adding to our rushing totals, imo, it helps our pass blocking.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Why would you want to take away Kyler's stats? His running plays are some of our most creative.
The last thing we want is Kyler hurt. And yes, I know he's very cautious, but we need him to be able to pass the ball too, something he can't do from the sidelines. Our RBs need to be able to produce to take some of that burden off of him.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Solar 7, if you go back to his HS videos, running has always been a big part of his game. Injuries happen, and we have to be lucky to avoid them. In the NFL you pass more and run less in today's game. Unfortunately, he can't wear a "red shirt". With the money being paid to QB's, "red shirts" might be a thing of the future.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Don’t forget get all those moves KK thought Murray to fake out defenders.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave