What happened to Isaiah Simmons?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is sad that our near mid season conversation regarding the player we took 8 in the draft is a debate between our DC being inept or our GM being inept. Happens too often and needs to change if this franchise is ever going to be taken seriously.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It is sad that our near mid season conversation regarding the player we took 8 in the draft is a debate between our DC being inept or our GM being inept. Happens too often and needs to change if this franchise is ever going to be taken seriously.

It's not as crucial as pairing a young drafted QB with the right coach but if you draft a guy to be an elite Swiss Army knife for your defense, then that kid is tied to the DC having to learn that DC's ever nuance. That's frightening because just like a young QB, if you find you get the DC wrong for a guy who is laden with equal responsibility on the opposite side of the ball and switch the DC... you could wreck the kid's development just like a QB

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wanted one of the tackles so this is flat out incorrect. Maybe prior to stating what someone would have done you pull the threads to see what they actually said at the time. The other option would be to not make assumptions or just keep from stating things you don't actually want to look up. :shrug:
I wanted one of the tackles so this is flat out incorrect. Maybe prior to stating what someone would have done you pull the threads to see what they actually said at the time. The other option would be to not make assumptions or just keep from stating things you don't actually want to look up. :shrug:
If we drafted a tackle and Gilbert didn’t opt out, the 8th overall pick would still be sitting on the bench. You’d still be complaining. What’s the difference?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If we drafted a tackle and Gilbert didn’t opt out, the 8th overall pick would still be sitting on the bench. You’d still be complaining. What’s the difference?
lol...those OTs would not have been stuck behind Gilbert. Also, Campbell paid 6 mil...Gilbert 1 mil. Just because there is a body in front of a rookie doesn't automatically mean the rookie couldn't beat them out.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
on Simmons, with Jamal Adams and Derwin James, the blue print on how to use a player like him is out there

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
TBH let’s pull a Rams-Seahawks and just trade our FRP’s for proven guys from now on.
We are really bad at selecting these dudes. You could also make an argument to just trade back in round one and grab dudes with 2nd round picks as well. The salary cap ends up being the problem. Vets are expensive.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is why Simmons is not playing ILB. Campbell and Hicks have been excellent.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I love when people make this argument. We took a "position-less player" and now he can't play because he only can backup the WILB position. SILB? nope...Tanner Vallejo. SOLB? nope...Haason Reddick and Kylie Fitts and Dennis Gardeck. S? nope...Banjo, Riley, and Dionte Thompson.

This is what clearly highlights the terrible plan and lack of creativity displayed by Keim and Vance. How on earth were these questions not asked?

"We are taking a non-traditional LB and putting him into a traditional LB role, what if he doesn't have those necessary instincts?"

"How does he get on the field if Campbell plays like we think he can?"

"What can he do on this defense day 1 after we draft him? Spy, blitz, cover, what?"

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I love when people make this argument. We took a "position-less player" and now he can't play because he only can backup the WILB position. SILB? nope...Tanner Vallejo. SOLB? nope...Haason Reddick and Kylie Fitts and Dennis Gardeck. S? nope...Banjo, Riley, and Dionte Thompson.

This is what clearly highlights the terrible plan and lack of creativity displayed by Keim and Vance. How on earth were these questions not asked?

"We are taking a non-traditional LB and putting him into a traditional LB role, what if he doesn't have those necessary instincts?"

"What can he do on this defense day 1 after we draft him? Spy, blitz, cover, what?"

The way I look at it is Campbell and Hicks never come off the field and Simmons is still getting 10-13 snaps at other positions. I’m more of an optimist than most and fall more into the lets wait and see. My only question is why did he get the start against SF week 1 and matchup on the first drive vs kittle then Mostert, but now can’t see the field? I wonder if VJ is more hesitant to use him while he’s still learning. I don’t think he can set the edge too well being tall and skinny, which is why I don’t see him playing on the outside like some have suggested. He plays a similar role to what Budda plays as a safety, which is why we haven’t seen him practice there. He’s an athletic freak and eventually will find his way on the football field, then I’ll make my judgement on him.

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

They said from the beginning that he’d be strictly at ILB initially. I didn’t agree with it then and still don’t.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
He plays a similar role to what Budda plays as a safety, which is why we haven’t seen him practice there.

this.

I posted earlier that Jamal Adams and Derwin James are good comps for Simmons. Both more physical than Simmons, but Simmons is longer and faster.

the problem is the Buddah does many of the Adams / James things in the Cardinal defense.

I think having both of your safeties being able to do all sorts of things would be an advantage -- and in obvious passing downs, you probably bring Jalen Thompson in to play the high safety ( subbing off Hicks or a D lineman)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TBH let’s pull a Rams-Seahawks and just trade our FRP’s for proven guys from now on.

There is a lot to be said for this with Keim as the GM. Maybe they need someone separately in charge of the draft.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The way I look at it is Campbell and Hicks never come off the field and Simmons is still getting 10-13 snaps at other positions. I’m more of an optimist than most and fall more into the lets wait and see. My only question is why did he get the start against SF week 1 and matchup on the first drive vs kittle then Mostert, but now can’t see the field? I wonder if VJ is more hesitant to use him while he’s still learning. I don’t think he can set the edge too well being tall and skinny, which is why I don’t see him playing on the outside like some have suggested. He plays a similar role to what Budda plays as a safety, which is why we haven’t seen him practice there. He’s an athletic freak and eventually will find his way on the football field, then I’ll make my judgement on him.
If you put Simmons on the edge over the TE, he can match up physically.

And you do a good job of identifying the issue with taking him that high. Where does he play? And that is the question that stumps traditional DCs because the correct answer is not where can he play, it is what do you want him to do? If that answer is "play WILB" you wasted the #8 pick on a player whose skill set does not match the role you have for him.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
this.

I posted earlier that Jamal Adams and Derwin James are good comps for Simmons. Both more physical than Simmons, but Simmons is longer and faster.

the problem is the Buddah does many of the Adams / James things in the Cardinal defense.

I think having both of your safeties being able to do all sorts of things would be an advantage -- and in obvious passing downs, you probably bring Jalen Thompson in to play the high safety ( subbing off Hicks or a D lineman)
Technically, Baker plays the FS role though Vance likes to switch up the responsibilities at times. Baker plays free so he has less immediate coverage responsibilities and can read and react vs the run. That is why you see him come out of nowhere to support the run. He doesn't have to worry about play action as much as he would if he played SS. You are correct in the premise that both Simmons and Baker are better playing downhill than they are playing backwards.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
For those interested in an outside of conventional way to use Simmons, I can't understand why the plan was to not use the 3-3 for our nickel front 6. It would essentially be a 2-4 with both Chandler Jones (formerly) and Isaiah Simmons as the stand up walk-around ends. Even at one of the lower sub package teams in the NFL, it would still get Simmons at least 40% snaps every game.

It would have allowed the defense to play two DL(one being Phillips), Jones, Simmons, Campbell, Hicks, Murphy, Dre, Pat, Budda and Jalen in the same grouping.

You let Jones walk around to give him alternative matchups.

It makes it more difficult to double Phillips.

You can bring a 4th pass rusher from everyone else because you have increased your coverage options by one when utilizing Simmons.

You can use Simmons as a spy or delayed blitzer vs mobile QBs or designed rollouts.

Hell, using Hicks as a blitzer and keeping him out of coverage would have been a nice way to use his strengths.

it would have given the Cardinals so many damn options and instead we just prefer not to adjust our scheme.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
On “All Things Covered, his weekly podcast with Bryant McFadden, Peterson had this to say about Simmons:

Him not having an offseason to really find out what position would be good for him versus doing the virtual meetings. They really didn’t expect DC (De’Vondre Campbell) to have the season that he’s having. It’s hard to put that type of guy on the bench when necessarily your first rounder is not technically ready.

He’s not ready?

Previously, when asked about Simmons, coach Kingsbury goes to his standard “yeah, that’s something we’re working through.” It is understandable Kingsbury does not want to call out his defensive coordinator in the media, but if Peterson is right and Simmons is not ready, then that rests solely on the shoulders of defensive coordinator Joseph.

Consider this, below are the number of snaps and the percentage of total snaps played by other 2020 defensive first-round picks whose teams are currently .500 or better.

• Carolina Panthers DT Derrick Brown: 195, 60%

• San Francisco 49ers DT Javon Kinlaw: 202, 62%

• Las Vegas Raiders CB Damon Arnette: 149, 45%

• Seattle Seahawks LB Jordyn Brooks: 29, 7% (injured)

• Baltimore Ravens LB Patrick Queen: 252, 73%
As we see other rookie first-round picks receiving snaps it’s fair to ask — Is this on Simmons or Joseph?

Despite Simmons’ ability to move around on the defense, it seems as if Vance Joseph is pigeonholing Simmons into the weakside inside linebacker spot occupied by De’Vondre Campbell. Peterson is right, with the way Campbell is playing, there is no way you put him on the sidelines.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/patrick-peterson-lb-isaiah-simmons-011429858.html

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Either Simmons was vastly overrated or VJ is using him wrong but I have to believe some of his lack of playing time is because he is not ready. So he probably should not have been drafted at #8. I was hoping for one of the tackles personally but was thrilled when Simmons fell to us but not now.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hope this wasnt a shot with the OTA's mention
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Either Simmons was vastly overrated or VJ is using him wrong but I have to believe some of his lack of playing time is because he is not ready. So he probably should not have been drafted at #8. I was hoping for one of the tackles personally but was thrilled when Simmons fell to us but not now.
I think it is more a VJ problem than a IS problem. My guess it's 70/30...

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Of course it's a VJ problem. The dummy won't even let Simmons play when we are winning 30-10 against the Jets in the 4th quarter. How does he expect IS to learn and develop?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I mean he came out of Clemson a big time program with NFL caliber coaching.

I have a hard time blaming him when I look at our DC and how he’s looking