Heroes and Goats (Abbreviated)

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score
I actually think Peterson played a good game, hence you did not hear him mentioned often which is like a LT or RT on the line where no mention is good news. I still think the Cards need to find a way to activate Ward for insurance at safety (I like Deionte Thompson) along with the Pauper (Prince A) at CB if signed because the Jets are not a litmus test of what to expect if this team has any aspirations playing significant games in November in my opinion
I had the feeling that Peterson read the articles about his poor performance and decided to come out and play better so he can earn more money as his contract expires.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I did watch the game, and I thought the D looked fine, and the stats back it up. We gave up 285 yards total offense, which is about what they were averaging and 10 points, which is about six points less than they were averaging. I guess if you've made up your mind that VJ is trash, nothing his defense does will ever be good enough.
It felt like we got saved by Jets WRs having horrible drops rather than the defense actually being good. Plus we were helped out by Adam Gase always running the exact same play on third and short.

Washington, Jets, Lions and 49ers are all bottom 12 offenses, with Jets and Washington actually being the 2 worst offenses in the league. I think this defense will start giving a lot of points in the next few weeks.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I did watch the game, and I thought the D looked fine, and the stats back it up. We gave up 285 yards total offense, which is about what they were averaging and 10 points, which is about six points less than they were averaging. I guess if you've made up your mind that VJ is trash, nothing his defense does will ever be good enough.
When their WRs and TEs drop passes when wide open in the red zone or on 3rd down, you have to recognize it is a "bad process, good result" situation. When you give up over 100 yards to their best yet marginal WR, you have to identify that you didn't take away what that team wants to do.

The idea behind a good NFL defense is pretty simple. Are you good situationally, 3rd down, 4th down, red zone, and sudden change? Is your scheme based upon taking away what the opposing team does best and force role players to step up? Do you make the routine difficult and put pressure on the opposing team to make plays? Punch at the ball, pressure the QB, and contest catches.

We were ok against a bad team, but there were plenty of concerns to signify we didn't play a great defensive game when we should have.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
When their WRs and TEs drop passes when wide open in the red zone or on 3rd down, you have to recognize it is a "bad process, good result" situation. When you give up over 100 yards to their best yet marginal WR, you have to identify that you didn't take away what that team wants to do.

The idea behind a good NFL defense is pretty simple. Are you good situationally, 3rd down, 4th down, red zone, and sudden change? Is your scheme based upon taking away what the opposing team does best and force role players to step up? Do you make the routine difficult and put pressure on the opposing team to make plays? Punch at the ball, pressure the QB, and contest catches.

We were ok against a bad team, but there were plenty of concerns to signify we didn't play a great defensive game when we should have.

At its best, VJs scheme is a bend don't break scheme. It relies to often on giving big cushions, and praying the pass rush gets there.

One thing I noticed is that the Cardinals covered the flats much better against the Jets, because it was beyond frustrating to watch wide open flat receivers during the two losses.

What sucks is that this defense struggles to defend elements that are bread and butter of the Rams and Niners schemes, motion right at the snap, boot legs and such. The Rams are going to drop 40 on this defense. Not being able to defend what your divisional opponents do well is inexcusable.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
At its best, VJs scheme is a bend don't break scheme. It relies to often on giving big cushions, and praying the pass rush gets there.

One thing I noticed is that the Cardinals covered the flats much better against the Jets, because it was beyond frustrating to watch wide open flat receivers during the two losses.

What sucks is that this defense struggles to defend elements that are bread and butter of the Rams and Niners schemes, motion right at the snap, boot legs and such. The Rams are going to drop 40 on this defense. Not being able to defend what your divisional opponents do well is inexcusable.
Agreed

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Being able to defend Joe Flacco, 3rd string tackles, Braxton Berrios, Jeff Smith and Chris Hogan isn't anything to write home about really.

You can only defend who you play, but I think a good defense wouldn't have given up a single TD against that shower of ****.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can only defend who you play, but I think a good defense wouldn't have given up a single TD against that shower of ****.
And yet, Buffalo, San Francisco, and Indianapolis, all top-10 defenses, each gave up 1-2 TDs to that hapless crew. It's the NFL - shut outs are really hard to come by.

...dave

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And yet, Buffalo, San Francisco, and Indianapolis, all top-10 defenses, each gave up 1-2 TDs to that hapless crew. It's the NFL - shut outs are really hard to come by.

...dave

Yeah but they played Darnold and both starting tackles. Plus Perriman vs the Bills.

I'm not saying it was bad, I just don't think it's a win. It's break even at best.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We’ll just have to score 41,,

No chance this team ever scores that in it's current state. We are maxed out at about 31 for a few reasons.

1, No defensive help. We don't turn over the ball enough and we certainly don't score on defense enough. I think we had 1 in 3 years?
2, Too many stalled drives due to penalties
3, Too many short passes. Drives take too long and we rarely score quickly. The drive vs the Jets with 2 deep shots was an extreme rarity in the last 21 games.

On a side note we are also garbage from behind so if we do need to score 31 to win we need to do it from the front.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but they played Darnold and both starting tackles. Plus Perriman vs the Bills.

I'm not saying it was bad, I just don't think it's a win. It's break even at best.
Not really arguing with you, but for what it's worth: did the fact that they played with Darnold vs. Flacco really make the Jets better against those other teams?

Flacco put up an 84.3 passer rating vs. the Cardinals, exactly in line with his 84.1 career rating and his consistent 80-85 ratings over the last 6 years.

Darnold has put up a 70.7 rating this season, and has a career rating of 79.6. Blecch.

Sure, if the Cards had a great defense they would've kept the Jets out of the end zone. The Cardinals, obviously, do not have a great defense. But, only two teams all season have been shut out of the end zone (Giants, 3 FGs vs. the 49ers, and Bengals, 1 FG vs. the Ravens) and only 4 teams have scored fewer than 10 points.

...dbs

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not really arguing with you, but for what it's worth: did the fact that they played with Darnold vs. Flacco really make the Jets better against those other teams?

Flacco put up an 84.3 passer rating vs. the Cardinals, exactly in line with his 84.1 career rating and his consistent 80-85 ratings over the last 6 years.

Darnold has put up a 70.7 rating this season, and has a career rating of 79.6. Blecch.

Sure, if the Cards had a great defense they would've kept the Jets out of the end zone. The Cardinals, obviously, do not have a great defense. But, only two teams all season have been shut out of the end zone (Giants, 3 FGs vs. the 49ers, and Bengals, 1 FG vs. the Ravens) and only 4 teams have scored fewer than 10 points.

...dbs

I think it did yeah.

Passer rating can be super misleading in my opinion. Kylers best passer rating of the year is in his worst game. He had 116 vs the Panthers. He played far better yesterday but had a 103.4 rating.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We’ll just have to score 41,,

I think the Cardinals ARE capable of beating the Rams if they

1. Play an excellent, TO free and low penalty game.
2. Get the running game going
3. Get a few stops or a TO or two.

But we haven't really seen this from the Cardinals. What I expect is that the Cardinals will match a few scores, then self destruct and the Rams will run their super boring, uncomplicated offense that does little things to fool the defense. And Vance's defense usually falls for any trickery. I expect the Cardinals to lose from anywhere from 10-21 points against the Rams.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Impossible. This board just told me all week that Kyler sucks. He’s being on pace for 40+ touchdowns is irrelevant.
I think the Kyler thing is almost like the current political atmosphere in how far people swing one way or the other. People hyped him up as the next MVP of the NFL in the vein of Mahomes and Lamar Jackson, instead of being content with a pretty good QB still growing into his role. So when he doesn't fill those MVP shoes, people say he "sucks," or at the very least overreact. I've tried to be a lot more measured with the kid this year, which is also easy when he balls out for a few of my fantasy teams.

As far as the Heroes/Goats go, Chase Edmonds has really changed my opinion of him since his rookie year, and I'm damn glad we have him. He's now a premier backup/potential starter when I thought he could be replaced by next to anyone. I was wrong.

As far as making VJ a Goat in a 10 point game, a guy at the bar turned around to my table unsolicited and said "man, you Cardinals are lucky the Jets are this bad, your defense looks awful." The 10 points scored felt very much like the Jets being crappy than the Cards being good.

I'll take it of course, but I can't say this game proved anything to me about our fortunes going forward.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think the Kyler thing is almost like the current political atmosphere in how far people swing one way or the other. People hyped him up as the next MVP of the NFL in the vein of Mahomes and Lamar Jackson, instead of being content with a pretty good QB still growing into his role. So when he doesn't fill those MVP shoes, people say he "sucks," or at the very least overreact. I've tried to be a lot more measured with the kid this year, which is also easy when he balls out for a few of my fantasy teams.

As far as the Heroes/Goats go, Chase Edmonds has really changed my opinion of him since his rookie year, and I'm damn glad we have him. He's now a premier backup/potential starter when I thought he could be replaced by next to anyone. I was wrong.

As far as making VJ a Goat in a 10 point game, a guy at the bar turned around to my table unsolicited and said "man, you Cardinals are lucky the Jets are this bad, your defense looks awful." The 10 points scored felt very much like the Jets being crappy than the Cards being good.

I'll take it of course, but I can't say this game proved anything to me about our fortunes going forward.

Glad you are admitting you were wrong on Chase. He's a good player, but probably best suited as a platoon back who gets about 10 touches a game.

I agree on Murray, but I think many believed he would take more steps forward than he has. I think this may have been a bit premature, because the kid basically didn't have a full offseason. He has improved in a few areas, namely I think his pocket presence has improved.

I think the Cardinals defense is a middling defense this year, and they just haven't faced good offenses yet. They aren't "bad" because a bad defense probably gives up more than 10 points to the Jets.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not going to judge our defense based on a Flacco led garbage Jets. It's pointless.

Let's judge them based on playing a Cowboys offense that's putting up 33 points per game, even if it is now led by Dalton.

Anything under 25 would be an achievement.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Thinking about joining the Edmonds for Starter bandwagon. Drake is not running with the same juice he did last season; yet, Edmonds runs like it’s his last ever NFL carry.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I'm not going to judge our defense based on a Flacco led garbage Jets. It's pointless.

Let's judge them based on playing a Cowboys offense that's putting up 33 points per game, even if it is now led by Dalton.

Anything under 25 would be an achievement.
But you'll judge the captain when he's lined up against one of the best pass rushers in the league. You play who is on the schedule. At the end of the year wins are all that matter.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But you'll judge the captain when he's lined up against one of the best pass rushers in the league. You play who is on the schedule. At the end of the year wins are all that matter.

When he gets beat like a drum, yeah. As I do all players.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But you can't judge.. oh nevermind

I know what you are saying, but they aren't the same thing.

No, you can't say this defense is good just because they stomped a super garbage Jets offense. The D is still an unknown quantity.

Yes, you can criticize Hump based on his performance because he has a long history of such performances. He's a known quantity.

Good on Hump for his performance vs the Jets. He he can line up against Bryce Huff and Jordan Jenkins all year he'll be elite. Let's see how he does vs Aldon Smith.