2020 Draft

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Hopefully it goes public which prospects the Suns are bringing in for a visit. I wonder if they will avoid setting up visits with the top players (Toppin, Haliburton, Hayes) since if they are there at 10 it is a bit of a no brainer, and that way they can use their 10 spots on other prospects.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully it goes public which prospects the Suns are bringing in for a visit. I wonder if they will avoid setting up visits with the top players (Toppin, Haliburton, Hayes) since if they are there at 10 it is a bit of a no brainer, and that way they can use their 10 spots on other prospects.

Maybe they will make this public or we can hope.

By Jonathan Givony ESPN:

No later than 48 hours prior to each visit, the team must submit a certification form to the league office informing it of its plans. At the player's discretion, multiple teams can be invited to evaluate an on-court workout simultaneously, provided health and safety protocols are observed. A pro-day-style workout of this nature will count toward all of the attending teams' 10-visit limitation.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30102437/source-nba-allow-person-draft-prospect-evaluations

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As Mike Schmitz says, Jalen Smith is a perfect fit for today's game. He has multiple skills.

He can shoot (outside and mid-range), rebound, defend, blocks shots, is a quick jumper and can rebound.

Also he can play the 4/5.

If the Suns decide not to go point guard at 10, I like him and Precious Achiuwa a lot.

I guess the biggest issue I see for Smith is lower body strength.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
As Mike Schmitz says, Jalen Smith is a perfect fit for today's game. He has multiple skills.

He can shoot (outside and mid-range), rebound, defend, blocks shots, is a quick jumper and can rebound.

Also he can play the 4/5.

If the Suns decide not to go point guard at 10, I like him and Precious Achiuwa a lot.

I guess the biggest issue I see for Smith is lower body strength.

I agree about Smith and Achiuwa. Either is a no brainer for the Suns.

But I can see the Suns doing something quirky, verging on ridiculous, like trading down and choosing someone like Bane and some other move out of left field.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree about Smith and Achiuwa. Either is a no brainer for the Suns.

But I can see the Suns doing something quirky, verging on ridiculous, like trading down and choosing someone like Bane and some other move out of left field.

This is what I'm expecting, a trade down with the 10th pick, maybe with Boston for 14 and 30.

It fits with the Suns talking to Zeke Nnaji.

Raindog

Reaction score
This is what I'm expecting, a trade down with the 10th pick, maybe with Boston for 14 and 30.

It fits with the Suns talking to Zeke Nnaji.

If they did something like that, and then took Smith/Achiuwa at 14, and then Bane/Riller at 30, I wouldn't mind that so much.

But I am skeptical they will do something that makes some sense.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they did something like that, and then took Smith/Achiuwa at 14, and then Bane/Riller at 30, I wouldn't mind that so much.

But I am skeptical they will do something that makes some sense.

I'd be absolutely thrilled with that draft but it's too logical.

Everyone will go crazy if Smith or Achiuwa are available in a trade down to 14 but the Suns draft Bane and perhaps Nnaji at 30.

It will be sort of like the 2019 draft all over again although Nnaji is pretty athletic.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Knicks are always an interesting team to follow when it comes to player personnel. Supposedly they have interest in Tyrese Maxey in a trade down if they can't draft Ball or Wiseman.

By Marc Berman New York Post:

One source senses the Knicks have Ball and Wiseman as two players they absolutely “love,” and haven’t been as smitten yet with any other prospect in a consensus weak draft.

At No. 8, the Knicks have staged internal talks about swapping back with a team in the Nos. 12-15 range to gain a young player in his rookie contract while still making a lottery pick.

One player who’s been on their radar as a late-lottery guy is combo guard Tyrese Maxey, a one-and-doner from Kentucky.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/12/knicks-seriously-considering-trading-down-in-2020-nba-draft/

JerkFace

Reaction score

JerkFace

Reaction score
The Knicks are always an interesting team to follow when it comes to player personnel. Supposedly they have interest in Tyrese Maxey in a trade down if they can't draft Ball or Wiseman.

By Marc Berman New York Post:

One source senses the Knicks have Ball and Wiseman as two players they absolutely “love,” and haven’t been as smitten yet with any other prospect in a consensus weak draft.

At No. 8, the Knicks have staged internal talks about swapping back with a team in the Nos. 12-15 range to gain a young player in his rookie contract while still making a lottery pick.

One player who’s been on their radar as a late-lottery guy is combo guard Tyrese Maxey, a one-and-doner from Kentucky.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/12/knicks-seriously-considering-trading-down-in-2020-nba-draft/
Seems like if Boston is hoping to package two of their first round picks to move up, the Knicks are a better trade partner than the Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like if Boston is hoping to package two of their first round picks to move up, the Knicks are a better trade partner than the Suns.

It would be just like the Knicks to move out of a prime spot in the draft to select Maxey.

Yes, the Knicks have the better position at #8.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A point guard sized version of James Jones. Sounds about right. What a freaking joke that would be.

I like Bane, just not early.

At some point the Suns need to look for future stars when they are drafting #6 and #10.

I'm a big proponent of drafting for skills but that doesn't mean a player can't have both skill and athleticism.

Raindog

Reaction score
At some point the Suns need to look for future stars when they are drafting #6 and #10.

Yeah, this...

It would be one thing if the Suns were an established quasi-playoff team with a solid lineup and some depth... like say, Dallas.

Then you can take a flyer with your lottery pick on some guy with a low ceiling who maybe you hope can become a solid rotation guy, even if you know he will never be a star... or even likely a starter.

Unfortunately, the Suns are still far from that and need to add guys with at least the potential of high ceiling upside. Wasting lottery picks on role players and bench filler is putting the horse before the cart. Even in a relatively weak draft, we still need to be trying to maximize return on our draft stock.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this...

It would be one thing if the Suns were an established quasi-playoff team with a solid lineup and some depth... like say, Dallas.

Then you can take a flyer with your lottery pick on some guy with a low ceiling who maybe you hope can become a solid rotation guy, even if you know he will never be a star... or even likely a starter.

Unfortunately, the Suns are still far from that and need to add guys with at least the potential of high ceiling upside. Wasting lottery picks on role players and bench filler is putting the horse before the cart. Even in a relatively weak draft, we still need to be trying to maximize return on our draft stock.

The situation in Dallas is very interesting especially with the injury to Porzingis.

They need a third piece on that team to contend. I guess they try to add that piece in the draft but it wouldn't shock me if they clear salary space in the not too distant future to add a star. And of course Mark Cuban is not one to sit on his hands.

Maybe they make a move to trade up in the draft. Doncic could make a player like Wiseman or Okongwu look very good.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I like Bane, just not early.

I'm a big proponent of drafting for skills but that doesn't mean a player can't have both skill and athleticism.
That's a nice sentiment, but drafting star at #10 in this draft is a virtual impossibility.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's a nice sentiment, but drafting star at #10 in this draft is a virtual impossibility.

True, but they can do better than a one dimensional unathletic shooter who also happens to be undersized for his position.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Potential NBA stars are where you find them.

This may especially be true in this draft because teams haven't scouted these players as extensively as they normally would because of the coronavirus

Except for the top two picks, I like the 2020 draft better than the 2019 draft.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Potential NBA stars are where you find them.

This may especially be true in this draft because teams haven't scouted these players as extensively as they normally would because of the coronavirus

Except for the top two picks, I like the 2020 draft better than the 2019 draft.
That's not saying much.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not saying much.

I think an NBA star will be drafted at #10 or later in this draft. Of course the key is identifying the player. I think you can almost bet on it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think an NBA star will be drafted at #10 or later in this draft. Of course the key is identifying the player. I think you can almost bet on it.
You're saying the chances of a player picked somewhere from #10 to #60 will become a star are good? Ok, that's fine. I did say "virtually" impossible, which still allows for your 1 chance in 50 bet that a player will be a star from that range. But I'm not placing that bet. Not in 2020.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You're saying the chances of a player picked somewhere from #10 to #60 will become a star are good? Ok, that's fine. I did say "virtually" impossible, which still allows for your 1 chance in 50 bet that a player will be a star from that range. But I'm not placing that bet. Not in 2020.
great now we need to know what constitutes a star. Flashes in a pan count?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Wiseman is considered a safe pick and likely to go in top 5 in draft.

This report comes from Clutchpoints via Sam Vecenie of The Athletic:

A lot of executives I’ve spoken with actually consider Wiseman to be among the safer players in the draft. Simply put, few executives doubt that his size, length, athleticism will translate into being a starting quality NBA center. There the disagreement comes is whether or not he has star upside, something that is necessary for a team to be willing to take a center at the top of the draft in today’s day and age. Some think his defensive ability on the interior does bring that kind of upside. Others are less convinced. Ultimately though, I do think Wiseman is more likely to go somewhere in the top-five than just about any other prospect.

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-draft-news-james-wiseman-one-of-the-safer-picks-in-2020-nba-per-execs/

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Certainly not a guarantee, however there is precident.

2011 #15 Kawhi Leonard
2011 #30 Jimmy Butler
2012 #35 Draymond Green
2013 #15 Greek Freak
2013 #27 Rudy Gobert
2014 #41 Nikola Jokic
2015 none (jk Book)
2016 #27 Pascal Siakam
2017 #13 Donovan Mitchell
2018 #34 Devonte Graham (pending)

But as Main points out, you still have to be the one to identify him. And there doesn't seem to be a clear formula for finding that diamond in the rough. (Since Utah hit twice in that stretch we should probably be paying close attention to who they're interested in.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose