Other games 10/11/20

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was contested but I don't think that was a great catch it was a great throw and a good catch. Metcalf has really improved, last year had lots of drops, this year much more reliable. Wilson is just remarkable, even in a mediocre game for him he comes through

19 TD passes in 5 games.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was contested but I don't think that was a great catch it was a great throw and a good catch. Metcalf has really improved, last year had lots of drops, this year much more reliable. Wilson is just remarkable, even in a mediocre game for him he comes through

19 TD passes in 5 games.

What DK goes to show is you don't need to be an elite route runner to be good in the NFL if you have a team that uses your skill set.

DK is tall, big and fast. A complete miss match for all CBs. You throw the ball high and deep and DK is going to come down with it.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
What DK goes to show is you don't need to be an elite route runner to be good in the NFL if you have a team that uses your skill set.

DK is tall, big and fast. A complete miss match for all CBs. You throw the ball high and deep and DK is going to come down with it.
He is a good route runner.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is a good route runner.

He's not bad. What I meant was, you don't have to have a full route tree be great. He runs very little variety. Go's, outs, comebacks is about it, and he does them well, he has good ability to drop his weight and stop and turn quickly. What he does he's very good at.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I agree. Lot's saying "How stupid was Mike Zimmer?" but then you see this. Not only does he get the 1st but also likely a TD if he doesn't just tuck and run.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I heard a good explanation on this, this morning...Basically, the Kubiak offense is a 1 cut and go style, so it's not designed to dance around or look for other openings...the RB is supposed to see if there is a hole, where the play is designed, plant his foot and go....if that hole closes as they get to it, they aren't trained to bounce out.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I heard a good explanation on this, this morning...Basically, the Kubiak offense is a 1 cut and go style, so it's not designed to dance around or look for other openings...the RB is supposed to see if there is a hole, where the play is designed, plant his foot and go....if that hole closes as they get to it, they aren't trained to bounce out.

They aren't trained to not run into wide open spaces for TDs but to run into bodies?

Dalvin Cook is housing that.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other news... Herbert is a lot better than I thought he'd be.

Yeah he's been hit or miss tonight the hits have been impressive. The scramble to Allen was great, the bomb on the busted coverage was nice too. He's also thrown 2 INT's right to the defense, and they dropped both. He threw another one that was a near pick and had a fumble where the ball came right back to him in midair.

But yeah much better than I expected he'd be

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Yeah he's been hit or miss tonight the hits have been impressive. The scramble to Allen was great, the bomb on the busted coverage was nice too. He's also thrown 2 INT's right to the defense, and they dropped both. He threw another one that was a near pick and had a fumble where the ball came right back to him in midair.

But yeah much better than I expected he'd be
He is a gunslinger...that's for sure. Dude throws some amazing bombs though.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, that was a GREAT open field tackle to close the game.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Looked like offsides could have been called...But don’t know why Mike Williams didn’t stretch our die the first he would have had it.

dumb chargers...We need these NFC teams that we’ll be contending with for a playoff spot to lose.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chargers playcalling and kicker threw that game away.

But Herbert has a laser guided missile launcher attached to his arm

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is a gunslinger...that's for sure. Dude throws some amazing bombs though.

Too bad played so well and then in the OT sort of lost it. Missed a wide open WR behind him on one play and then on the 4th down play instead of leading Williams so he can catch and run, he throws it on him and high he has to slow up and reach for it and Lattimore makes a great play to stop him short.

And my fantasy team continues to fall apart, lost Ekeler last week, Keenan Allen tonight and he has a history of back issues.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looked like offsides could have been called...But don’t know why Mike Williams didn’t stretch our die the first he would have had it.

dumb chargers...We need these NFC teams that we’ll be contending with for a playoff spot to lose.

I thought it was offsides to. That was on Herbert though the throw didn't lead him

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
There isn’t a more snake bitten franchise than the Chargers

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
same here

Herbert might throw one of the prettiest deep balls Ive seen

Chargers would have won the game easily had Keenan Allen not gone out. He's a big target for Herbert and Allen leaving threw the offence off rhythm.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kliff is just as stupid imo.

Let’s see, you go for it at your own 30 something yard line on 4th & 1 how many times now?

To add to his madness, you have a chance to make your team go up by 21 (3Tds) and yet you go for 2. Really? Why? I know it’s the Jets, but as a Coach you don’t put your team in a potential situation to lose a game because of your ego. Come on Kliff this isn’t Lubbock, this is the NFL!!! At some point his crazy analytics is going to cost the Cardinals a win. :bang:
I really wish I could count how many times teams go for two WAY TOO EARLY in games & it ends up biting them in the a$$. You don’t go for 2, until you absolutely, positively have to. As for KK going on 4th & 1 on his own 38 in a one touchdown game - not a fan either. If you make a better play call on 3rd down, you won’t be in that position. I will give him credit on that particular play. It went for 30. But, last year, that same play helped cost us the TB game when Max couldn’t see the ball in the sun.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really wish I could count how many times teams go for two WAY TOO EARLY in games & it ends up biting them in the a$$. You don’t go for 2, until you absolutely, positively have to.

You couldn't be more wrong. In general, early in games the right decision depends only on the expected value of the play. If your kicker makes 96% of extra points, but you can convert more than 48% of your two-point attempts, it makes sense to go for two.

Late in a game, you benefit from gaining information sooner rather than later. If you're down by 15 and score a TD, it's a huge benefit to find out as soon as possible whether you need two more scores or just one. If you miss the 2-point conversion early, you can plan your next actions around needing a TD & FG to win. If you kick the extra point to "keep hope alive" and plan for one more possession, then fail on the 2-point conversion later when it's too late for another possession, you just cost yourself a chance to win.

This is, finally, becoming conventional wisdom among NFL teams.

...dbs

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really wish I could count how many times teams go for two WAY TOO EARLY in games & it ends up biting them in the a$$. You don’t go for 2, until you absolutely, positively have to. As for KK going on 4th & 1 on his own 38 in a one touchdown game - not a fan either. If you make a better play call on 3rd down, you won’t be in that position. I will give him credit on that particular play. It went for 30. But, last year, that same play helped cost us the TB game when Max couldn’t see the ball in the sun.

The game was over when he went for 2. It was 30-10 in Q4 and he did it purely for practice for when we might need it to win a game later in the season.

It's one area thats a struggle for Kyler too. Getting the ball up and over the line in such a short space isn't his wheel house and it's something he needs to work on, and in fact he sailed that 2 pointer if I recall.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Why are you guys complaining about something we have had consistent success under Kliff since last year?
People around here think you can just turn on and turn off aggressive. It has to be a constant mindset.