Trade candidates to replace Chandler Jones

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There are almost three weeks until the trade deadline, so there is no rush in getting a replacement for Chandler Jones through those channels, and personally I could see them go with the ones they have on the roster now. However, here are three completely speculative, yet possibly realistic targets. I will say, though, that one thing that might make all three suggestions irrelevant is that Chandler Jones might soon be up for a big contract extension, and all three I have named here are free agents after the season – thus they would also require new contracts.

The Falcons are obviously a mess. Edge rusher Dante Fowler played well last year for the Rams, and in-division pickups are fairly normal in free agency. Fowler has an up-out clause in his contract ahead of next season, so they might want to get at least something for him while they can.

Marcus Golden is a free agent after this season, and I think it is safe to say that the Giants is in a rebuilding process, where they could use some late round draft picks. Keim obviously know Golden (and has a bigger need for him now than in this prior offseason).

Ryan Anderson has been flying under-the-radar in Washington, but has been playing fairly well. However, there are three first round picks in front of him, including two from the last two drafts, and he is a free agent after this season.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I think this year is still a rebuilding year. There isn't anyone out there that makes this defense a playoff caliber squad IMO.

I wouldn't make a trade unless it involves PP21.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
There are almost three weeks until the trade deadline, so there is no rush in getting a replacement for Chandler Jones through those channels, and personally I could see them go with the ones they have on the roster now. However, here are three completely speculative, yet possibly realistic targets. I will say, though, that one thing that might make all three suggestions irrelevant is that Chandler Jones might soon be up for a big contract extension, and all three I have named here are free agents after the season – thus they would also require new contracts.

The Falcons are obviously a mess. Edge rusher Dante Fowler played well last year for the Rams, and in-division pickups are fairly normal in free agency. Fowler has an up-out clause in his contract ahead of next season, so they might want to get at least something for him while they can.

Marcus Golden is a free agent after this season, and I think it is safe to say that the Giants is in a rebuilding process, where they could use some late round draft picks. Keim obviously know Golden (and has a bigger need for him now than in this prior offseason).

Ryan Anderson has been flying under-the-radar in Washington, but has been playing fairly well. However, there are three first round picks in front of him, including two from the last two drafts, and he is a free agent after this season.

good analysis. appreciate the fact that there is a logical reason why their current team may give them up

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

bonus here is that he is cheap -- although he should be for 6 career sacks

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
There are none at this juncture of the season or they would be playing or a team would not want to trade them... but this is the point where you can do something really stupid in a trade of desperation when it's obvious we are not a Super Bowl team yet

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look at draft in offseason how is de prospects this yr?

Man just sucks jones was awesome to have on line unreal how meh 2020 this season is.....

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
The smart move is no move. Need to wait until the offseason. Too much uncertainty at this point. The league is so upside down that the 49ers got absolutely pounded by the Dolphins this weekend. Not even sure if the season will finish in entirety. One thing is for sure. Clean house in January. VJ and maybe even Keim

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Don’t think a trade, especially a one-year rental, is worth it. Plus, CJ hasn’t been ruled out yet.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The smart move is no move. Need to wait until the offseason. Too much uncertainty at this point. The league is so upside down that the 49ers got absolutely pounded by the Dolphins this weekend. Not even sure if the season will finish in entirety. One thing is for sure. Clean house in January. VJ and maybe even Keim

Don’t think a trade, especially a one-year rental, is worth it. Plus, CJ hasn’t been ruled out yet.
I'm with you guys.

Let's wait until the offseason.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I am not going to throw in the towel now, TCF. If you are 2-11, 4-10, something like that, sure, I can see reasons to start playing for the future. But I will not accept it at 3-2.

Agreed. Not throwing in the towel but this is clearly not a team that would do damage in the playoffs this year. We are most likely an 8-8 team, which is a nice improvement from the last two years. I would expect 2021 to be the year we could be contenders. I am not interested in making a significant trade to replace Chandler Jones.

Edit - I hope to eat crow on this one. :)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. Not throwing in the towel but this is clearly not a team that would do damage in the playoffs this year. We are most likely an 8-8 team, which is a nice improvement from the last two years. I would expect 2021 to be the year we could be contenders. I am not interested in making a significant trade to replace Chandler Jones.

Edit - I hope to eat crow on this one. :)

You're right, but teams can get better (or worse). I still have hope Kyler can improve and that he gets better rhythm with the receivers.

We have Maxx Williams and Jalen to come back. We have Ward and Amukamara learning the system on the PS that could be elevated in coming weeks and add depth and other players that have a lot of room to personally improve (P2, Murphy, Drake, Philips, Simmons).

We also have low key trade and FA options that might improve areas.

So still room for growth. Sadly that needs good coaching which I have less faith in.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're right, but teams can get better (or worse). I still have hope Kyler can improve and that he gets better rhythm with the receivers.

We have Maxx Williams and Jalen to come back. We have Ward and Amukamara learning the system on the PS that could be elevated in coming weeks and add depth and other players that have a lot of room to personally improve (P2, Murphy, Drake, Philips, Simmons).

We also have low key trade and FA options that might improve areas.

So still room for growth. Sadly that needs good coaching which I have less faith in.

Kyler will improve - as will Kliff.

In fact it was very noticeable in one week how both improved dramatically.

I expect a lot more intermediate throws, and a lot more bombs to Hopkins in the coming weeks.

I also expect the run game to improve. I'm really not worried about our offense.

My concerns are primarily about our ability to defend the passing game.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim should do this. Kamalei Correa is only on $2.25m on a 1 year deal but he already had most of that. He'd be a cheap pick up for a conditional 7th based on him extending.

Played outside linebacker in a 3-4 at the Ravens. Stayed there at the Titans but in a 4. Had 5 sacks last year and would be a good piece in a weak room. Would give us 11 games to try him out and if we sign him next year he'd add good experience to the OLB room.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I like Correa but how much of an impact will he make vs giving the youngsters some PT and why would an undefeated playoff team get rid of him with such a cheap contract?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Correa but how much of an impact will he make vs giving the youngsters some PT and why would an undefeated playoff team get rid of him with such a cheap contract?

There are no Youngsters. Gardeck is in his 3rd year and never played a D snap until Sunday. Reddick are in his 4th year and has been moved around to try make use of him. Neither are likely to be long term solutions.

Kennard on the Left with Reddick rotating and Correa on the Right with Gardeck rotating (and a bit of Zach Allen) seems like the best of both worlds to me. Neither Gardeck or Reddick can be a full time starter. Even Correa is a push as a starter, but at least he adds much needed experience.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at draft in offseason how is de prospects this yr?

Man just sucks jones was awesome to have on line unreal how meh 2020 this season is.....
Top of the list is Gregory Rousseau of U of Miami. Talk is he is top 3 pick.