Drafting Andy Isabella over D.K. Metcalf... Damn!

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
yeah no

he’s good but don’t do that. Megatron is an all time great who played with an average QB. He’s not in the class of those guys Fitz, Megatron, Julio

The stars aren’t even close. Just stop

When I watch the tape, I see a lot of physical similarities to Julio.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Some of us did...
I wanted DK really, really, bad. I was shouting at the TV.

Stupid Cards missed out on Brady too.
Not the same at all. We desperately needed an outside WR with size, and chose a slot receiver from nowheresville 2 picks before a guy who had the skillset we needed. Hell, we could have had McLaurin too.

I am sick of hearing about this every week. Dude went in the 3rd round behind a lot of recievers. Not a single GM thought he would be this good.
He went in the 2nd. We picked a mediocre slot corner and and a 5'9 WR from the FBS in that round.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The real issue for me is player evaluation. Meaning, its not as big of a deal if you take DT instead of a WR but it is a very big deal if you take the wrong WR. (perfect example: taking Mitch Trubisky vs Mahomes or Watson)

In this case, we took 2 of the wrong WR's.

I would imagine we passed on Metcalf because we had our eye on Hakeem Butler. We took AI and Butler vs Metcalf. On paper, that may have seemed like a good idea but so far it looks like a massive mistake.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was super dumb at the time. It's ridiculously dumb in hindsight.

Imagine Nuk on one side. DK on the other. With Kirk and Isabella in the slot as the future of this WR corp for the next 5-10 years.

Anyone arguing that Andy was the right pick is frankly being ridiculous. It's like drafting Kevin Dyson over Randy Moss.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Imagine Nuk on one side. DK on the other. With Kirk and Isabella in the slot as the future of this WR corp for the next 5-10 years.

Anyone arguing that Andy was the right pick is frankly being ridiculous. It's like drafting Kevin Dyson over Randy Moss.

except Metcalf wasn’t really good in college

Metcalf best year
Rec 39 Yards 646 TD 7

Randy Moss in college
Rec 96 Yards 1820 TD 26

This is what kills me. Don’t disrespect how great Randy Moss is. Metcalf is nowhere near Randy Moss.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wanted DK really, really, bad. I was shouting at the TV.

Not the same at all. We desperately needed an outside WR with size, and chose a slot receiver from nowheresville 2 picks before a guy who had the skillset we needed. Hell, we could have had McLaurin too.

He went in the 2nd. We picked a mediocre slot corner and and a 5'9 WR from the FBS in that round.

Wanna switch our draft with Seattle’s draft that year? You can get Metcalf

cause even Seattle passed on him TWICE for two guys that are horrible

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Metcalf best year
Rec 39 Yards 646 TD 7

Randy Moss in college
Rec 96 Yards 1820 TD 26

This is what kills me. Don’t disrespect how great Randy Moss is. Metcalf is nowhere near Randy Moss.

It doesn't matter what he did in college. It was widely known he was badly under utilized at Ole Miss.

Scouting is the art of looking past production to see what the player will be in the NFL and 99% of analysts and fans would have taken DK over Isabella all day.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what he did in college. It was widely known he was badly under utilized at Ole Miss.

Scouting is the art of looking past production to see what the player will be in the NFL and 99% of analysts and fans would have taken DK over Isabella all day.

no it was widely known he had a very serious neck injury and had problems even getting on the field cause he couldn’t stay healthy

then why did Seattle even pass on him TWICE if he was such a sure thing.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
no it was widely known he had a very serious neck injury and had problems even getting on the field cause he couldn’t stay healthy

then why did Seattle even pass on him TWICE if he was such a sure thing.

Who passed on him and how many times isn't the question. The question is, at pick 62 you have a choice between small, body catching slot receiver at best Andy Isabella or 6'4" 230lb 4.33 running DK Metcalf. At a time when you have no good outside receivers.

It was a crazy pick. Literally nobody in the draft world rated Andy over DK.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Trying to remember, did Metcalf impress at the combines?

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

...and all this is assuming he would even develop into the same receiver here that he is for the seachickens working with Russell every day.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Bingo :notworthy:

people were more enamored with his physical abilities more than his production. It’s not often a guy who rarely produced at a high level in college turns out to be a superstar

Metcalf best year
Rec 39 Yards 646 TD 7

Randy Moss in college
Rec 96 Yards 1820 TD 26

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who passed on him and how many times isn't the question. The question is, at pick 62 you have a choice between small, body catching slot receiver at best Andy Isabella or 6'4" 230lb 4.33 running DK Metcalf. At a time when you have no good outside receivers.

It was a crazy pick. Literally nobody in the draft world rated Andy over DK.

I’m sorry what pick? 62? Riiiiiight

a lot of WR were rated over him that’s why he went in the 60s dude.

Yes it does matter even the team that drafted him passed on him twice for two guys who have turned out to be bust. Stop acting like it was a no brainer to pick the guy with a broken neck lol

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bingo :notworthy:

people were more enamored with his physical abilities more than his production. It’s not often a guy who rarely produced at a high level in college turns out to be a superstar

by the way that’s 1 year of production for Moss. That’s how insane he was.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Andy had another drop this week that would've been at least a 20 yard gain. He's getting to be productive, but it's freaking baby steps with this kid.