The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't watch it but now that I see the Heat won I wish I had.

The game was much like a boxing match.

The Heat took a lot of punches but prevailed. They are a well coached, mentally tough team. Jimmy Butler and the guards won the game for them. Kendick Nunn gave them a lift off the bench.

It will be an uphill battle for the Heat to win the series with the size of the Lakers.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Jimmy butler has taken his game to a level I didn’t think he had. And in the post game interview he was all business and dissatisfied with the team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there needs to be an asterisk next to that one. Anytime you fire your coach presumably for not getting you to where you thought in the playoffs, players allegedly being just for themselves, etc., I would have picked a different guy.

Like all the other awards this year, I'm pretty sure it only considered the season up through March 11th. No asterisk needed IMO, it's as legitimate as any of the awards this season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More on Goran Dragic.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dwight Howard is not starting in game 6. Caruso is starting for Lakers.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
I think people are just missing the obvious -- the brand of basketball put on display just isn't that good. The Lakers just are not a nice looking basketball team and do not play the "beautiful game" beautifully. IMO. They are winning, so their fans don't care, but the league needs neutrals and fans from other teams to watch the playoffs.

THAT was a beautiful game played beautifully! What a great NBA season!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So the current "best player in the game" was whining after winning the championship that he doesn't get any respect. What a crock. Kobe was ten times the ambassador Lebron is.

Lebron does good things in the community, but he's a whiny little brat when it comes basketball.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the current "best player in the game" was whining after winning the championship that he doesn't get any respect. What a crock. Kobe was ten times the ambassador Lebron is.

Lebron does good things in the community, but he's a whiny little brat when it comes basketball.

why is best player in the game in quotes? I don’t think there’s any doubt who the best player in the game still is at this point, especially after back to back flameouts for Giannis.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
why is best player in the game in quotes? I don’t think there’s any doubt who the best player in the game still is at this point, especially after back to back flameouts for Giannis.
There are a few other guys, ahem - Kawhi, that could be considered that as of today. But whatever. If you think he's still the best today then more power to you.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

He can be really insufferable when he wins but what he’s doing in year 17 is just nuts.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He’ll never get. It’s a different era

as long as he pretty much recruits all stars to come play with him and stacks the deck the older guys will always see his championships as cheapened

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DeMarcus Cousins and Jared Dudley will get rings.

It's easy to see how the Lakers and other teams who are close to contending for a championship recruit so easily.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a few other guys, ahem - Kawhi, that could be considered that as of today. But whatever. If you think he's still the best today then more power to you.

this is the same Kawhi who Takes off 20 games a season, oversaw one of the greatest choke jobs in NBA history and doesn’t rebound or create shots or even score at the same rate LeBron does? Tough year to make that argument after the disastrous end to their season.

Kawhi is great. He’s not LeBron though.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
this is the same Kawhi who Takes off 20 games a season, oversaw one of the greatest choke jobs in NBA history and doesn’t rebound or create shots or even score at the same rate LeBron does? Tough year to make that argument after the disastrous end to their season.

Kawhi is great. He’s not LeBron though.
Like I said, to each his own. I just don't think Lebron is the best player in the game today, that's all. He was for a very long time, but the balance is shifting.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the current era perhaps we should be talking about the best two players in the NBA that can carry a team to a championship. Lebron and Anthony Davis were awfully close. Lebron might be number 1 but he couldn't have done it without Davis.

Doncic is a rising star teamed with a healthy Embiid or Durant could probably do it.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I think Lebron wants his legacy to compare to Jordan's. But Jordan carried most of those teams without much help. Lebron has been great, but he never won anything without superstar help beside him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Lebron wants his legacy to compare to Jordan's. But Jordan carried most of those teams without much help. Lebron has been great, but he never won anything without superstar help beside him.

Pippen is a HOFer and one of the greatest players of all time, Rodman is a HOFer and Kukoc was a great Swiss Army knife 6th man matchup nightmare. And Jordan had arguably the greatest Head Coach ever.

LeBron has definitely played with some All-Timers Especially his first two years with the Heat, but let’s not forget that Davis only got his Pelicans to the playoffs ONCE. Pre-LeBron part 2 on the Cavs, Kyrie had never gotten them to within 20 games of the playoffs and on the Cleveland team that won the title against what people were calling the Best Team Of All Time, LeBron had Kyrie and Kevin Love’s rotting corpse. That was it.

coaching wise, he had Spo who is a very good coach, but won a title with Tyron Lue and Frank Vogel who are middling coaches at best.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pippen is a HOFer and one of the greatest players of all time, Rodman is a HOFer and Kukoc was a great Swiss Army knife 6th man matchup nightmare. And Jordan had arguably the greatest Head Coach ever.

LeBron has definitely played with some All-Timers Especially his first two years with the Heat, but let’s not forget that Davis only got his Pelicans to the playoffs ONCE. Pre-LeBron part 2 on the Cavs, Kyrie had never gotten them to within 20 games of the playoffs and on the Cleveland team that won the title against what people were calling the Best Team Of All Time, LeBron had Kyrie and Kevin Love’s rotting corpse. That was it.

coaching wise, he had Spo who is a very good coach, but won a title with Tyron Lue and Frank Vogel who are middling coaches at best.

It’s just a different era.

having to fight through Patrick Ewing’s Knicks and Reggie Millers Pacers is just a bit harder than DeMarr Derozan’s Raptors. He’s 4-6 in the Finals.

and in like 3 on those losses he was thought to have the better team going in.

It’s like the Chris Rock joke you don’t get credit for things your supposed to do. If you stack the deck in your favor your expected to win the championship so when you do it people kind of shrug

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think Jordan is the best but this is revisionist history. Pippen is one of the best of his time. And he had either grant or Rodman for each championship as well.